Bronco on Matt's Off Road Recovery

nrlucas
Apr 06, 2022

Rank VI

Apr 06, 2022

Well, well, well....look what just showed up on Matt's Off Road Recovery!

Badlands | Sasquatch | Cyber Orange | 2.7L | Lux | Soft Top
Mandogus, Bschurr
Last edited by a moderator: Apr 06, 2022

Rank VI

Apr 06, 2022

Just got done watching. Cool the way they fixed the tie rod on the trail. Love all the comments bashing the fact that the Bronco bent a tie rod and that this is proof of poor quality and that IFS if crap etc. etc. The facts. Things break when you upgrade certain things (tires/wheels) but don't upgrade the supporting stuff. In fact most off roaders I know drive stuff til it breaks, then upgrade.
SuperMike, TK1215

Road trip!!!

Apr 06, 2022

Anyone else notice how they welded it and didn’t protect the CV boot or anything from the weld spatter. What are the odds there is a burn hole in the CV boot?

The tie rods are a known week point on the bronco. Unfortunately, there isn’t a video showing how the tie rod end broke.
2021 Badlands, 4 door, 2.7L, Auto, LUX, SAS, Tow Package, MIC, Velocity Blue.
SuperMike, TK1215

Rank VI

Apr 06, 2022

Anyone else notice how they welded it and didn’t protect the CV boot or anything from the weld spatter. What are the odds there is a burn hole in the CV boot?

The tie rods are a known week point on the bronco. Unfortunately, there isn’t a video showing how the tie rod end broke.
I'd say the odds are pretty good.
TheWildheartOutdoors, TK1215

Rank VI

Apr 06, 2022

I was wondering how hard of a hit you gotta take to bend or break? Is it likely that a rock came up and struck the tie rod and that resulted in the bend?
2021 badlands, 2.3, MT, rapid red, soft top

Road trip!!!

Apr 06, 2022

I was wondering how hard of a hit you gotta take to bend or break? Is it likely that a rock came up and struck the tie rod and that resulted in the bend?
I’ve seen videos of them breaking from the front tire coming off the ground and spinning. When the front tire made contact with the ground again, it snapped.
The Real Sasquatch, 14U

Trusted and Carefree

Apr 06, 2022

I’ve seen videos of them breaking from the front tire coming off the ground and spinning. When the front tire made contact with the ground again, it snapped.
Was that with or without a lift? I havent seen a report of stock suspention breaking a tie rod yet, but I could be wrong.
2023 Wildtrak. "Sometimes you got to get lost, to get found" -J Bronco
Crawler Green

Road trip!!!

Apr 06, 2022

Was that with or without a lift? I havent seen a report of stock suspention breaking a tie rod yet, but I could be wrong.
I have seen a few stock ones break, but mostly the ones running oversized tires.
Mal

Trusted and Carefree

Apr 06, 2022

I have seen a few stock ones break, but mostly the ones running oversized tires.
Interesting. Sure is the weak point in the suspension (which I am okay with- If something has to break, Id rather it be the tie rod than something more expensive and harder to swap out). Also doesn't seem to do well with modified angles from a lift or larger tires.
I wonder what it will look like with the Hoss 3.0.... Still, good plan to get a couple extra tie rods and throw them in the recovery gear.
2023 Wildtrak. "Sometimes you got to get lost, to get found" -J Bronco
Hobgoblin, TK1215

Rank VI

Apr 06, 2022

@SlashRacer and @Mal - good points and thank you.
I should be working but rather check out tie rod damage on my phone…

looks to be some options.
1. Broncbuster bolt on reinforcing
2. Replacement or spare partial or compete rods (rpg was the ones I looked at).

I’m still riding on stock 33s, but sure don’t want to get stranded!
Bronco 202?, Mal

Road trip!!!

Apr 06, 2022

Interesting. Sure is the weak point in the suspension (which I am okay with- If something has to break, Id rather it be the tie rod than something more expensive and harder to swap out). Also doesn't seem to do well with modified angles from a lift or larger tires.
I wonder what it will look like with the Hoss 3.0.... Still, good plan to get a couple extra tie rods and throw them in the recovery gear.
I’m debating on upgrading mine to the hoss 3.0 tie rod ends or just putting the hoss 3.0 tie rod ends in my recovery bag.

First question……does anyone know 100% for sure that the hoss 3.0 tie rod ends can be bolted onto a Badlands with SAS?
Mal

Rank V

Apr 06, 2022

I’m debating on upgrading mine to the hoss 3.0 tie rod ends or just putting the hoss 3.0 tie rod ends in my recovery bag.

First question……does anyone know 100% for sure that the hoss 3.0 tie rod ends can be bolted onto a Badlands with SAS?
More likely is you'll need the upgraded steering rack too.
Bronco 202?, SlashRacer

Gladesmen

Apr 06, 2022

Seatbelts!
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery

Adventure Day

Apr 06, 2022

@SlashRacer and @Mal - good points and thank you.
I should be working but rather check out tie rod damage on my phone…

looks to be some options.
1. Broncbuster bolt on reinforcing
2. Replacement or spare partial or compete rods (rpg was the ones I looked at).

I’m still riding on stock 33s, but sure don’t want to get stranded!
Don’t go with BroncBuster. He is not good for the community and is sicking his lawyer on to people who create their own tie-rod reinforcement brackets (a design that had been done by others long before the Bronco came out).
JKS now has tie rod sleeves for less than $70.
TK1215, Bronco 202?

Knows the cheat code.

Apr 06, 2022

Three things.
Tall lifts make for bad angles on the tie rod ends.
37s might just be a bad idea.
HOSS 3.0.

This from another vid posted lately on youtube. Also 37s, big lift. . .

Screen Shot 2022-04-06 at 9.17.22 AM.png
"Just because you don't understand it don't mean it don't make no sense."
SuperMike, SlashRacer

When the Going Gets Tough, The Tough Get a Bronco!

Apr 06, 2022

This vid seems pertinent to this thread.

'23 4D Widltrak, Velocity Blue, 2.7L, High PKG, MIC Hardtop, Tow, Mod bumper, HOSS 3.0
10/23/2020 Res, Built 12/07/2022, Shipped 01/03/2023, Delivered 01/17/2023
Love'n the New Ride and the Bronco Nation Community!
Jakob1972

GASQUATCH

Apr 06, 2022

Done the battery welding a few times...cover the batteries with a blanket or jacket in the event it explodes tho. Good trail fix.
2022 Badlands / Sasquatch / 2.7 / Auto / 2DR / MIC / Bestop Trektop / LUX / 12000# Badland winch / in Hot Pepper Red
okie4570

🐎Moab bound🐎

Apr 06, 2022

Just got done watching. Cool the way they fixed the tie rod on the trail. Love all the comments bashing the fact that the Bronco bent a tie rod and that this is proof of poor quality and that IFS if crap etc. etc. The facts. Things break when you upgrade certain things (tires/wheels) but don't upgrade the supporting stuff. In fact most off roaders I know drive stuff til it breaks, then upgrade.
I didn't watch the video, but I agree! Seen so many Jeep tie rods bent on the trail (take them off, pound them till straight enough to slip on a handle from a high lift - gets them driveable and off the trail, with some obstacles to go over to boot). And, I've seem a lot of Jeeps break the steering knuckle, and I've seen them fixed on the trail too (my husband did that, the weld was so strong, he wheeled it for another year - big rebuild was in the works). You find that achilles ankle and then make stronger and better - for whatever brand your off-roader is.
Hi y'all, Lauri here and I am the proud owner of a MY21 Badlands, SAS, 2.7 auto, 4 door, soft top, Cactus Gray, no reservation, ordered 9/11/21, Took delivery 1/8/22!
TheWildheartOutdoors, byronpete21

Rank VI

Apr 06, 2022

Don’t go with BroncBuster. He is not good for the community and is sicking his lawyer on to people who create their own tie-rod reinforcement brackets (a design that had been done by others long before the Bronco came out).
JKS now has tie rod sleeves for less than $70.
Thanks for the JkS lead. Watched the video. Looks to reinforce the currently exposed threaded piece, which is the weak spot.

Question for the experts. If I installed per the video, why is alignment needed? I mean, I’d have to miss the original placement by a full thread In order for alignment to change, right?

Rank VI

Apr 06, 2022

What is really sad is Ford knows the tie rods are weak and they don’t fix it . So the customers suffer and that’s ok with Ford.
AcesandEights, EZAPAR