Bronco News: Delivered Hard Tops Will Be Replaced, Other Hard Top Builds Maybe Delayed

David
Aug 12, 2021

Rank VI

Aug 12, 2021

Attachments

Bronco Nation Member #144
David in the Bronco Nation Forums
BroncoTroubadour on Instagram
Bronc96, BroncoUp

Rank 0

Aug 12, 2021

Do you have an idea of when the official announcement will come?
nic, NickP

Rank VI

Aug 12, 2021

Hey everyone,

As reported by @PREMiERdrum on Bronco6G, there is Bronco news coming. He has stated that it will address the MIC top issues and that it is " going to contribute to some ugly headlines over the next few days, but it's the most responsible solution." We'll be covering any official announcements from Ford, stay tuned.
It's about time. Hopefully it will be something more detailed than previous attempts at communication.
Wildtrak, 4DR, Iconic Silver, High, Camo Seats.
ChadN, Rgwinn

Rank XII

Aug 12, 2021

I can handle it. Got no VIN, but got George T. Stagg by my side.
Kraken, Broncofly

Rank V

Aug 12, 2021

My gut tells me those of us without a VIN will be better off.... Or right f*cked...
Gunninja1, ABQNMBronco

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Aug 12, 2021

I smell a recall.;) Pretty much the only choice.
JetsetterAZ, Rgwinn

Rank IV

Aug 12, 2021

So, I think it’s pretty much going to be what I was told a week or so ago.
Production is going to halt on everything that isn’t a First Edition. Ford will commit to building First Editions for the year 2021, But everything else (including those in purgatory with bad roofs) will be delayed until they get their new supplier up and running and an acceptable hard top.
I don’t see them letting anyone changing their tops to a soft top anymore because that will just exacerbate the supply issues they already have.
Webasto is gone and has a certain number of tops to deliver to end the contract, this will allow them to complete the First Editions and possibly fix some vehicles that didn’t pass QC. I don’t think we will see anyone else get deliveries until the new supplier is up and running.
This is really the best solution I think all around for Ford and its customers.
It shouldn’t have taken them this long to make this decision and I wish they had been more transparent to this point, but it is what it is at this point and lets move forward!
I guess those First Editions are going to become Limited Editions here now!
Fingers crossed the First Edition tops aren’t complete garbage and will have to be replaced, or maybe Ford comes up with a replacement plan for those that already have the MIC tops?
Broncodino, Tr3B3ll247

Rank V

Aug 12, 2021

Well, apparently rumors, even the ones we don’t want to be true, sometimes are. Pretty much what’s been making the rounds the past week or so. The message from Ford, according to Ross is imminent. Tonight, tomorrow, Friday after the market closes? Turn off the lights…..the party’s over.
SierraHotelBronco, BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Aug 12, 2021

@David If the Broncos get delayed another year, do we get another free year of Bronco Nation membership? Although if it gets delayed a year, might not be enough $$ to keep the lights on at Bronco Nation.
Gunninja1, Speed Devil

Rank V

Aug 12, 2021

The biggest anticipated new vehicle since the Miata....and they're throwing in the towel. No Broncos for ANYONE. Keep your reservation/order number or don't, doesn't make a difference in place in line. Your MSRP is "locked" but too bad dealerships are out of Ford's control, and can add dealer markup when you eventually walk in to pick up your Bronco on that happy day, years from now. Sad.
JetsetterAZ, Broncofly

Rank V

Aug 12, 2021

Waiting for the resident Ford sympathizers to explain this one lol. Such BS in every fashionable way.
2D BL, Sas, 2.7l, High, Silver 10:22pm 7/13/20 Res, 1/31 2/7 2/14 2/28 3/7 build dates
built 3/11/22, delivered 4/16/22
ABQNMBronco, Gemini_69

Rank VI

Aug 12, 2021

20200724_072552.jpglol I'm waiting for the news but I'm hoping it's going to be less grim than some. Wish everyone luck on the coming news!
Gunninja1, LR48

Rank IV

Aug 12, 2021

Almost relieved, I was questioning whether it was a good idea to pay so much for a vehicle that is constantly under so much speculation. My build is an Outer Banks and 40k is doable but for that much $ I want it to be as close to perfect as it can be. I’ve been waiting years for the new Bronco and I am a launch day reservation and I wanted one badly. This will be my 3rd Bronco (88 and a 96) and I love the line. If disappointment comes my way I’ll wait until they get their shit together. My 06 f150 still has some good years left; I’m lucky that way. For those who needed a new vehicle and a super cool one at that it’s a total kick in the teeth. In the meantime we wait for the announcement, stay safe and be well all.
2 door OBX, 2.3, tow package, aux switches, A51, July 13 2020 Reservation date.
Broncodino, SuperMike

Rank VI

Aug 12, 2021

But everything else (including those in purgatory with bad roofs) will be delayed until they get their new supplier up and running and an acceptable hard top.

From what I have read, timeline-wise , 2023 is a HUGE HUGE push for the Mod top development and production.
If a total MIC top redesign is in the works ....with a new supplier, again like the MOD TOP ....I don't see an all new MIC supplier with an all new MIC any faster than 2023.

Unless they go back the the old fashioned, time tested fiberglass models like Heep has, and Chevy had on the Blazers, and Ford had on the Broncos, then maybe that can be rolled out a bit quicker. I don't know...
But a timeline of single digit months, like many are hoping??? I dont see that as anywhere near realistic.

Do you have any intel on that front? Can it be done before my2023? How long do they expect it to take to re-do this?
Day 1 res first 3 hours, Feb 6th order; May 25th? scheduled for build, July 15th Build date, Dirt Mountain 2.5 months, delivered into my loving hands Oct. 8th
Deano Bronc, NickP

Rank V

Aug 12, 2021

And for those of us still hoping that Ford will possibly help us 2 door folks out....

Screenshot_20210811-212238_Samsung Internet.jpg
2D BL, Sas, 2.7l, High, Silver 10:22pm 7/13/20 Res, 1/31 2/7 2/14 2/28 3/7 build dates
built 3/11/22, delivered 4/16/22
KennyMac, Deano Bronc

Rank V

Aug 12, 2021

From what I have read, timeline-wise , 2023 is a HUGE HUGE push for the Mod top development and production.
If a total MIC top redesign is in the works ....with a new supplier, again like the MOD TOP ....I don't see an all new MIC supplier with an all new MIC any faster than 2023.

Unless they go back the the old fashioned, time tested fiberglass models like Heep has, and Chevy had on the Blazers, and Ford had on the Broncos, then maybe that can be rolled out a bit quicker. I don't know...
But a timeline of single digit months, like many are hoping??? I dont see that as anywhere near realistic.

Do you have any intel on that front? Can it be done before my2023? How long do they expect it to take to re-do this?

I remember someone commenting WAY back in March/April that they need to find the tooling for the ‘96 Bronco top and just get it back in production but modified for the ‘21. They had much better writing than I do though, they told the story like the old NASA employees coming in to save the day in The Martian LOL.
Bronc96, bdawson24

Rank IV

Aug 12, 2021

But everything else (including those in purgatory with bad roofs) will be delayed until they get their new supplier up and running and an acceptable hard top.

On the tops, all I was told was that Webasto is making 12000 more tops and they’re done and Ford is in the process of setting up a new supplier.
I don’t know if they’re announcing the new supplier with this news or not.
I think you’re right on the timing, they can’t afford to get it wrong again so they need to take the time to make it right.
It’s a hard pill to swallow though that even the ones that are built in purgatory right now will not be delivered. I would’ve thought they would pick through the remaining Webasto tops after the FE’s are done and use them on those? It’s still a possibility I guess. We’re not going to see full production though on the Bronco for a long time.
Rgwinn, HoosierDaddy

Rank VI

Aug 12, 2021

On the tops, all I was told was that Webasto is making 12000 more tops and they’re done and Ford is in the process of setting up a new supplier.
I think you’re right on the timing, they can’t afford to get it wrong again so they need to take the time to make it right.
It’s a hard pill to swallow though that even the ones that are built in purgatory right now will not be delivered. I would’ve thought they would pick through the remaining Webasto tops after the FE’s are done and use them on those? It’s still a possibility I guess. We’re not going to see full production though on the Bronco for a long time.
Considering there is less than 7k FE's and if you say 12k more tops than you'd think they would correct those in purgatory as well but not build anymore Broncos that need hard tops. At least that sounds too logical to happen.

Rank IV

Aug 12, 2021

Considering there is less than 7k FE's and if you say 12k more tops than you'd think they would correct those in purgatory as well but not build anymore Broncos that need hard tops. At least that sounds too logical to happen.
Unfortunately I think it’s 12’000 in total as they had already paid for them so they belong to Ford, based on the sources information on how many of those tops are actually useable I think they’re going to struggle to even fill the FE orders.
SlashRacer, DRWright

Rank VI

Aug 12, 2021

Unfortunately I think it’s 12’000 in total as they had already paid for them so they belong to Ford, based on the sources information on how many of those tops are actually useable I think they’re going to struggle to even fill the FE orders.
That really makes me wonder what will happen to my Wildtrak that was built last week then.