British Columbia

Buckin Bronco
Jun 21, 2021

Rank V

Jun 21, 2021

With borders opening up soonish (we hope), any of you wanting to wheel in British Columbia should check out......

1. The Whipsaw FSR trail. It's located 15km west of Princeton, BC. 100km loop trail through some very nice areas, high alpine meadows and forest. It's not overly hard, but has some challenging spots. I put some markers on the BN App map section.

2. Hurley Pass/Poison Mountain/China Head Traverse/High Bar Road. This trip is a few different trails linked together, it starts at Pemberton, BC and finishes at Clinton, BC. It's long, so carrying extra gas is recommended. Not a hard trip, and it has a reactionary ferry trip over the Fraser River included (free ferry). Amazing views from the top of Poison Mountain.

It can be a challenge to find the right trail to get on the China Head Traverse (take maps with you), so an alternate way out is the Yalakom Valley which is shorter and takes you down to Lillooet, BC.

3. Alexander Mackenzie Heritage/Greese Trail. A 400km trail from Prince George to Bella Coola, takes you from the center of the Province to the Pacific Coast. It's a challenging demanding trail, river crossings, boggy areas and a ton of fallen trees. Take extra fuel, at least two vehicles and chainsaws (lots of 2 stroke gas). Oh, and don't forget the bug spray.
TEEDEE, Sven
Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2021

Rank Benevolent Dictator

Jun 21, 2021

With borders opening up soonish (we hope), any of you wanting to wheel in British Columbia should check out......

1. The Whipsaw FSR trail. It's located 15km west of Princeton, BC. 100km loop trail through some very nice areas, high alpine meadows and forest. It's not overly hard, but has some challenging spots. I put some markers on the BN App map section.

2. Hurley Pass/Poison Mountain/China Head Traverse/High Bar Road. This trip is a few different trails linked together, it starts at Pemberton, BC and finishes at Clinton, BC. It's long, so carrying extra gas is recommended. Not a hard trip, and it has a reactionary ferry trip over the Fraser River included (free ferry). Amazing views from the top of Poison Mountain.

It can be a challenge to find the right trail to get on the China Head Traverse (take maps with you), so an alternate way out is the Yalacom Valley which is shorter and takes you down to Lillooet, BC.

3. Alexander Mackenzie Heritage/Greese Trail. A 400km trail from Prince George to Bella Coola, takes you from the center of the Province to the Pacific Coast. It's a challenging demanding trail, river crossings, boggy areas and a ton of fallen trees. Take extra fuel, at least two vehicles and chainsaws (lots of 2 stroke gas). Oh, and don't forget the bug spray.
Good on you for letting out our secrets in B.C. More traffic will ensure less use of the chainsaw's and better chance of assistance if you require it. I have done two of your three trails and they are definitely worthwhile. I will have to put the Alexander /Grease trail on my list once I get my bronco.
Buckin Bronco

Gladesmen

Jun 21, 2021

Wow we honeymooned up in BC ( Victoria) back in the day. Once we get our Bronco maybe we can head back up there and try a few of these trails. That is one of the prettiest parts of this continent.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
Buckin Bronco

Rank V

Jun 21, 2021

Good on you for letting out our secrets in B.C. More traffic will ensure less use of the chainsaw's and better chance of assistance if you require it. I have done two of your three trails and they are definitely worthwhile. I will have to put the Alexander /Grease trail on my list once I get my bronco.

We need more traffic on the China Head Traverse because of where it is. Due to it being an existing road in a Vehicle Closure Area, it needs to be traveled yearly or the government will close it.

Rank Benevolent Dictator

Jun 22, 2021

Wow we honeymooned up in BC ( Victoria) back in the day. Once we get our Bronco maybe we can head back up there and try a few of these trails. That is one of the prettiest parts of this continent.
If you do get back up, join "All Trails" and you will have plenty of trails to chose from ... Best off road driving trails in British Columbia, Canada | AllTrails
Buckin Bronco, Jakob1972

Rank Benevolent Dictator

Jun 22, 2021

We need more traffic on the China Head Traverse because of where it is. Due to it being an existing road in a Vehicle Closure Area, it needs to be traveled yearly or the government will close it.
That is good to know BB. I will organize a group of friends and we will travel it again. I was not aware of how tenuous its ongoing approval to drive it was. Thanks!
Buckin Bronco

Rank V

Jun 22, 2021

That is good to know BB. I will organize a group of friends and we will travel it again. I was not aware of how tenuous its ongoing approval to drive it was. Thanks!

You're welcome.

I believe Crater Lake (just outside Manning Park) is in the same boat.

We unfortunately lost one trail last year, the road up to Molybdenite Lake was illegally blocked by the local natives and for some unknown reason, the government won't step in.

Rank Benevolent Dictator

Jun 22, 2021

You're welcome.

I believe Crater Lake (just outside Manning Park) is in the same boat.

We unfortunately lost one trail last year, the road up to Molybdenite Lake was illegally blocked by the local natives and for some unknown reason, the government won't step in.
Hmmm, I had a look online to see if I could find any info on a 4x4 trail into Crater Lake. The only thing I could find was a hiking trail in from the lifts on Manning Parks ski mtn. Any insights as to access?

Rank V

Jun 23, 2021

Hmmm, I had a look online to see if I could find any info on a 4x4 trail into Crater Lake. The only thing I could find was a hiking trail in from the lifts on Manning Parks ski mtn. Any insights as to access?

Sorry, I ment Placer Lake. It's accessible on the Placer Mtn FSR east of Eastgate (Manning Park) on Hwy 3. Second road east of the park.

Attachments

the poacher

Rank Benevolent Dictator

Jun 23, 2021

Sorry, I ment Placer Lake. It's accessible on the Placer Mtn FSR east of Eastgate (Manning Park) on Hwy 3. Second road east of the park.
Thank you for the insight. Now Placer Lake looks like a great trail. That will definitely be on my list to attempt this summer.
Buckin Bronco

Rank V

Jun 23, 2021

Thank you for the insight. Now Placer Lake looks like a great trail. That will definitely be on my list to attempt this summer.

There's the Placer to Ashinola Traverse there too. I'm guessing some trails link up. Worth checking out when you go to the lake.

Here's a couple of pics from my Backroad Mapbook - Thompson Okanagan.

Attachments

Rank Benevolent Dictator

Jun 23, 2021

There's the Placer to Ashinola Traverse there too. I'm guessing some trails link up. Worth checking out when you go to the lake.

Here's a couple of pics from my Backroad Mapbook - Thompson Okanagan.
I have the same book, and looking at it, our thoughts are to camp at the Lake then drive close to Placer mtn and summit it by foot. Will make a good few days. I appreciate you adding the images, kind of you. We are thinking maybe mid to late July. I will keep you posted of how it goes.
Buckin Bronco