Brake advise

Dynodan
May 21, 2021

Rank 0

May 21, 2021

Some advice needed on Brakes.

I have a 69 Bronco sport that I converted to front disk brakes (DANA 30) a number of years ago.

I did not change the proportioning valve (still the original H block) But I did replace the master cylinder (stock for 69 drum brakes) and removed the check valve from the large reservoir connection.

It all works but I would like to make it better. I recently picked up a new proportioning valve as originally used in a 77 Bronco that has disk brakes. How much of a difference would this addition make?

I do not want to go with a power brake setup but ask if a new master cylinder as used in the 77 would make a difference?

I am open to suggestion and would appreciate any and all comments. I bought this Bronco 40 years ago from the original owner and other than an addition of a home built AC system, a 4 speed overdrive transmission, electronic ignition and disk brakes and it is completely stock.

Thanks,

Dan
TorgSurv
Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2021

Moab or bust!!!

May 24, 2021

I have a 69 Bronco sport that I converted to front disk brakes (DANA 30) a number of years ago.

I did not change the proportioning valve (still the original H block) But I did replace the master cylinder (stock for 69 drum brakes) and removed the check valve from the large reservoir connection.

It all works but I would like to make it better. I recently picked up a new proportioning valve as originally used in a 77 Bronco that has disk brakes. How much of a difference would this addition make?

I do not want to go with a power brake setup but ask if a new master cylinder as used in the 77 would make a difference?

I am open to suggestion and would appreciate any and all comments. I bought this Bronco 40 years ago from the original owner and other than an addition of a home built AC system, a 4 speed overdrive transmission, electronic ignition and disk brakes and it is completely stock.

Thanks,

Dan
Hi Dan! Welcome to Bronco Nation. You might have a little more luck getting an answer to your question if this was posted in the EB section. There are a lot of sections so it can be a bit confusing where to post things.
https://thebronconation.com/forums/forums/1966-1977-gen-1.9/I'll see if a moderator can get his moved. We have a lot of knowledgeable people that can probably help you out.
@TorgSurv @David @Laura
2022 Bronco Badlands, 4D, Hot Pepper Red, 2.7, Squatch, Lux, and MIC.
7/13/2020 10:04pm reservation. Blend 6/16/2022 Delivered 6/26/2022.
Dealership - Stephen's Auto Center.
TorgSurv

Off-Roadeo Ranger

May 28, 2021

Thanks @Deano Bronc
I moved the thread. Hopefully now we can get an answer for @Dynodan on this question.
That home-built a/c sounds interesting! Can you tell us more about that?
Bronco70

Rank V

May 28, 2021

Yes the master cylinder is diferent for front disk brakes an adjustable proportional valve wil be helpful, to valance the braking from the front and back wheels, but defenilly I recomend changing the master cilinder, do you have power breaks?
TorgSurv

Rank V

May 28, 2021

Thanks,

Dan
Dan it will make a diference if is for a front disk brake model.

Rank VI

May 31, 2021

The proportioning valve will not improve your braking power - as already stated, it will simply allow you to adjust the braking front to rear. You want the fronts to lock up first so that you will tend to go straight in a panic stop. The rears locking up first will allow the rear to come around in a panic stop. The best way to improve your braking power is to add a power unit either vacuum or hydro boost. (Selecting the correct size MC piston also affects braking power but not as much.). I'm running a hydro boost and a Dodge RAM MC from the mid 80's. Great braking power. Also the MC is aluminum bodied with a plastic reservoir - no more rusty MC!!
2022 Bronco BadSquatch, 1974 Bronco Ranger, 1976 Bronco Crawler, 1978 Bronco Custom
Bronco70