Blown 2.7 ecoboost

jeremy.wilson237
Dec 13, 2021

Rank III

Dec 13, 2021

Didn't want this to be my first post but last week our 2.7 ecoboost looks to have dropped a valve with only 2,000 miles on the clock. Driving down the interstate the Bronco shuttered and a message on the display popped up saying to put it in park to restart. Got pulled off the interstate and tried to restart. After many attempts we had to call a tow truck because it wouldnt start back up. Dropped off at the dealership and the next day they started diagnosing the issue. They couldnt find anything using the scanner so the next day they dug a little deeper and found a very damaged spark plug. Looking thourgh the bore scope they found a damaged piston. As you can see from the photos its in bad shape. This was this past Friday and currently we are waiting on Ford to get back with them to give the go ahead to start tearing into it further.

Attachments

AcesandEights, Crawler Green
Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2021

Rank VI

Dec 13, 2021

That totally sucks.

Don't Follow Me ,I'm about to do something Stupid

Dec 13, 2021

Didn't want this to be my first post but last week our 2.7 ecoboost looks to have dropped a valve with only 2,000 miles on the clock. Driving down the interstate the Bronco shuttered and a message on the display popped up saying to put it in park to restart. Got pulled off the interstate and tried to restart. After many attempts we had to call a tow truck because it wouldnt start back up. Dropped off at the dealership and the next day they started diagnosing the issue. They couldnt find anything using the scanner so the next day they dug a little deeper and found a very damaged spark plug. Looking thourgh the bore scope they found a damaged piston. As you can see from the photos its in bad shape. This was this past Friday and currently we are waiting on Ford to get back with them to give the go ahead to start tearing into it further.

Hopefully they can just drop you a new engine into it and have you going fairly quickly . A friend had his new Tundra do the same thing and the dealership put a new engine in it about 3 weeks later . Unfortunetly stuff happens .
2Dr Badlands - MIC - Area51 - 2.7 Auto - MGV - Headliner - High Pkg
Reserved 7/20/20 Delivered 5/6/23
"Ford said, hey we're gonna fulfill all reservations and pre-orders before we build stock units."
jeremy.wilson237

Rank 0

Dec 13, 2021

I know the build date on the motor precedes the VIN build date but could you tell when they dropped that 2.7 into the frame?

Rank III

Dec 13, 2021

I know the build date on the motor precedes the VIN build date but could you tell when they dropped that 2.7 into the frame?

I dont know the answer to this.

Rank III

Dec 13, 2021

Hopefully they can just drop you a new engine into it and have you going fairly quickly . A friend had his new Tundra do the same thing and the dealership put a new engine in it about 3 weeks later . Unfortunetly stuff happens .

We are hoping it will be a "quick" turn around. Just hoping that things arent on back order.

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Dec 13, 2021

How many more 2.7 have the same defect that caused the valve to drop.

Rank III

Dec 13, 2021

heres the video I put together.

Deano Bronc

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Dec 13, 2021

They had issues with valve seats coming out.Oil pan leaks, valve guide issues with the 2.7.

Inmate #19359

Dec 13, 2021

Sorry, this has got to be so disheartening. I hope this is an isolated issue or they figure it out before they build mine late next year. Good luck Jeremy. I hope they get you taken care of quickly and that this will be the end of your troubles.
2023 Bronco,Black Diamond 🏴‍☠️ Velocity Blue 🟦, 4Door, SAS, MIC, Mid, 2.7m, Orig Order: 9/10/21 Blend Date: 11/30/22. Built: 12/02, Shipped 12/4, Arrived at dealer on 12/23, Took possession on 12/30/22!!! 476 Days after ordering.
Goodyear, AZ 🌵🔆
jeremy.wilson237

Rank V

Dec 13, 2021

Duddddddee that sucks. Keep us updated. Hopefully they give you a bronco in the mean time to drive.

Rank II

Dec 13, 2021

There is a thread on the 6G forum where a member is gathering data on this issue. Trying to see if these blown engines are a result of a bad batch of valves. He’d love it if you could post your engine info there.

Rank III

Dec 13, 2021

There is a thread on the 6G forum where a member is gathering data on this issue. Trying to see if these blown engines are a result of a bad batch of valves. He’d love it if you could post your engine info there.
Not sure I’m a member there
DRWright

Rank VI

Dec 13, 2021

Hope Ford has a spare engine - long block in stock & your dealer has a technician qualified to make the transplant. It is a big job.
jeremy.wilson237

Rank V

Dec 14, 2021

Well there is another thread about hard top issues. A person from Ford asked for their VIN and mileage. Maybe you can get with them. Good luck and let the BN know if we can help turn up the heat. More power in numbers!!
jeremy.wilson237

Rank V

Dec 14, 2021

Did the dealer confirm the valve dropped? It looks like the piston came completely apart. That'll mean you need a completely new engine as parts of the piston no doubt made it through the exhaust wiping out the turbo. The cats may also need to be replaced if parts made it that far to plug the cats up.
What you see in that picture is the top of the connecting rod with the rod pin still pressed in, but nothing but pieces of the piston. That makes me think they are not forged pistons but instead Hypereutectic which tends to shatter rather than deform like a forged piston.
2D Base Mansquatch: Ord 11-24-2021; VIN 3-16-2022; Schd 5/9/22; Sticker 5/4/22; Modules 5/10/22;Built 5/11/22;Shipt 5/12/22;Delv 5/24/22