Black Bear Pass?

everetto
Jul 23, 2020

Rank 0

Jul 23, 2020

I have enjoyed the thread about the Rubicon trail, I am interested if anyone here has done Black Bear Pass (Telluride, CO). Many say it is the toughest pass in Colorado, maybe along with Poughkeepsie Gulch, also in the San Juans. If you have done Black Bear, what vehicle was it in, and how would you rate it? I assume the new Bronco will be very capable there and I may try to do it once I own one.
BroncOitis, Bronco_Girl
Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2020

Rank III

Sep 27, 2021

I have enjoyed the thread about the Rubicon trail, I am interested if anyone here has done Black Bear Pass (Telluride, CO). Many say it is the toughest pass in Colorado, maybe along with Poughkeepsie Gulch, also in the San Juans. If you have done Black Bear, what vehicle was it in, and how would you rate it? I assume the new Bronco will be very capable there and I may try to do it once I own one.

I’ve done Black Bear multiple times in a Jeep Wrangler. It’s beautiful but not difficult in my opinion. Where it gets interesting is when you get to the steps area just before you hit the switchbacks. It’s a bit off camber but not hard. I saw a pickup truck break its rear window from bouncing once. It can be very unforgiving in spots, but if you’re in a proper vehicle you can easily do it. Stock Wranglers have no issue. Bronco will be fine.

If you want a challenge, do Holy Cross.
BroncOitis, Bklein

Rank 0

Sep 27, 2021

Black Bear is mainly about exposure, it's a steep road with tight switchbacks but the penalty for going off the edge is severe. Poughkeepsie gulch has one section called the wall that can be a problem and I have seen trucks with open differentials struggle there. Any Bronco with a competent driver should be able to do Black Bear. I would suggest a Bad Lands or at the minimum a rear locker for Poughkeepsie.
SlashRacer

Road trip!!!

Sep 27, 2021

2021 Badlands, 4 door, 2.7L, Auto, LUX, SAS, Tow Package, MIC, Velocity Blue.

Rank IV

Dec 17, 2021

I’ve done Black Bear multiple times in a Jeep Wrangler. It’s beautiful but not difficult in my opinion. Where it gets interesting is when you get to the steps area just before you hit the switchbacks. It’s a bit off camber but not hard. I saw a pickup truck break its rear window from bouncing once. It can be very unforgiving in spots, but if you’re in a proper vehicle you can easily do it. Stock Wranglers have no issue. Bronco will be fine.

If you want a challenge, do Holy Cross.
Holy cross can be tough

Bill - Enjoy The Journey

Dec 17, 2021

I’ve run Black Bear multiple times. It helps (and is advised) to have a partner in my opinion who can spot for you in the steps. Technically it’s not difficult but as noted above, the penalty for a miss is severe. Take your time and you’ll be fun. Run Imogene Pass from Telluride back over to Ouray and you’ll be ready to call it a day…

The Poughkeepsie Gulch run up from Mineral Point to California pass is technically much more difficult. It’s best accomplished with a group and depending on the selected route will require your best skills (or winch) .

The SanJuans offer some of the most breathtaking scenery I have encountered. I’ve been going since 1968 (as a kid) an started driving the passes myself in 1976. It’s an annual trip for us now. What’s a shame is the condition of many of the trails.

FWIW the SxS crowd have ruined the roads and represent a change that (again my opinion) is not for the good. I own and use a Honda Talon R at home in Arizona. It’s a great vehicle and the users here have great respect for the desert, trails, and personal property. I simply don’t see the same level of respect in SW Colorado. It seems the goal is “tear it up” by a few of the SxS drivers - which has made the 4 wheelin’ less enjoyable over the years. What used to be a 5 hour journey now takes 8, etc. I’m sure I’ll get plenty of pushback from RZR lovers etc but the lack of respect for the trails (from a few) is very real and leaves the rest of us longing for the past.
‘22 Cactus Gray / Badlands / Sasquatch / LUX / Leather / MIC
okie4570, Mal

Rank V

Dec 17, 2021

This is titled...Falling Off Black Bear Pass
Mal

Trusted and Carefree

Dec 17, 2021

This is titled...Falling Off Black Bear Pass

That vid is terrifying. Black Bear pass is on my to do list, but Im gonna not let the wife see this one...
2023 Wildtrak. "Sometimes you got to get lost, to get found" -J Bronco
Deano Bronc, jamtra

Rank VI

Dec 17, 2021

That vid is terrifying. Black Bear pass is on my to do list, but Im gonna not let the wife see this one...
Yes. That was crazy. hopefully she has recovered from that.
Wildtrak, hot pepper red, mic, Lux, tow...Totally worth it!!

Rank V

Dec 17, 2021

Yes. That was crazy. hopefully she has recovered from that.
I always think of the guy shooting the video. Another 20 seconds and it would have been a two vehicle crash.

Rank VI

Dec 17, 2021

I always think of the guy shooting the video. Another 20 seconds and it would have been a two vehicle crash.
Totally. that would have been a mess. I wonder if the person shooting the video knew there wasn't anyone in the jeep. That would have been terrible to think there was.
Wildtrak, hot pepper red, mic, Lux, tow...Totally worth it!!

Rank V

Dec 17, 2021

I have done Black Bear several times. Once in an older small blazer, a couple of times in a TJ Jeep and several times in my built JK. It is more of a mental challenge than a difficult one. That 90 degree right off camber turn while looking down about 3,000 feet to Telluride is intimidating. The switchbacks again are more mental, I know of a Jeep driver that had a panic attack and almost slid off the edge. Keep your cool and it will be great.

Gladesmen

Dec 17, 2021

Totally. that would have been a mess. I wonder if the person shooting the video knew there wasn't anyone in the jeep. That would have been terrible to think there was.
There was a person in the Jeep she was however ejected before where the video picked up the fall.

you can go down a mountain thousands of times going too slow. But you can only go down the mountain going too fast once.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery

Rank V

Dec 17, 2021

I have done Black Bear several times. Once in an older small blazer, a couple of times in a TJ Jeep and several times in my built JK. It is more of a mental challenge than a difficult one. That 90 degree right off camber turn while looking down about 3,000 feet to Telluride is intimidating. The switchbacks again are more mental, I know of a Jeep driver that had a panic attack and almost slid off the edge. Keep your cool and it will be great.
I have friends that say the same thing. We were there in 2012 and drove to the base of Black Bear. I walked a ways up and took some pictures. I told my wife we could go to the top and come down the next day. She said "by yourself, and not until the trust was completed".

Rank V

Dec 17, 2021

When it gets really tough, my wife wants to "get out" and take pictures. :rolleyes:
Deano Bronc

Rank V

Dec 17, 2021

When it gets really tough, my wife wants to "get out" and take pictures. :rolleyes:
You have a smart wife!!