Don't delete

Aug 7, 2020
Atkinson, NH
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Parlee
Member #

I'm in! Once you get over Black Bear Pass, it is an easy return trip over Imogene Pass to Ouray or Ophir Pass to Silverton. Looking forward to planning a few group trips around Colorado.
Watch Mile High Jeep Club web site for their annual All-4-Fun event end of July or early August each year. Should have an announcement next month.
Thank you for the heads-up regarding the Mile-Hi Jeep Club of Colorado. Sent off my info for the mailing list. I would like to initiate a Supporting Membership, but I need a sponsor. Any suggestions?. Noticed the club has 22 Patrols. Not sure how an East Coast guy and his dog would fit in. Any suggestions?

I am planning to purchase a Badlands 2-door. Any “must-haves” for the Colorado trails? Never been to Colorado. Also, I am in the gearing up phase and have a question regarding vehicle-to-vehicle communication. Currently planning to use GMRS radio. That appears to be the standard here in NH/ME. Will that work in the Mile-Hi Jeep Club or do you recommend Ham?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bronc96

Lester10-3

Rank V

Champion I

Aug 11, 2020
Montrose, CO, USA
First Name
Lester
Last Name
Sendecki
Member #

I have not been active in MHJC for a few years. Think they still have an Associate or Supporting Member class. Patrol Members are usually the Active members local to the Denver area. Must Haves - High Clearance, 4 wheel drive, Low Range, A/T or M/T Tires, Tire pressure guage, air compressor or power tank, Good Attitude, Take help & directions well, don't be a wise-ass.
Communications: About half still use CB, others have gone to GMRS, Folks who have a HAM license wish the rest of us would get one. I have both hand held CB & Walkie-talkie size GMRS.

The Bronze

Rank V

Promoter III

May 20, 2020
Colorado, USA
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Shaw
Member #

Sounds awesome...and scary, lol. Do the trucks struggle at that altitude? Guess the new Bronc's turbo should help with the lack of oxygen.
My Samurai (with a 1.6L swap) REALLY struggles at 13k’. Up to 11k or so it’s fine. But the top of the passes are low range, low gear for me!

Lester10-3

Rank V

Champion I

Aug 11, 2020
Montrose, CO, USA
First Name
Lester
Last Name
Sendecki
Member #

Looking forward to Buena Vista. Several good off pavement choices in the area. Plan to spend a few days if the weather cooperates.

BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Don't delete

Aug 7, 2020
Atkinson, NH
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Parlee
Member #

So.....now that many of us have converted our reservations to orders, did you select a Bronco with an eye toward completing Black Bear Pass? Maybe before or after the 2021 Bronco Super Celebration in Buena Vista?

SlashRacer

Rank VI

Champion I

May 31, 2020
Allegan, MI, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Heckman
Member #

So.....now that many of us have converted our reservations to orders, did you select a Bronco with an eye toward completing Black Bear Pass? Maybe before or after the 2021 Bronco Super Celebration in Buena Vista?
7 months ago yesterday(7/13/20) I reserved a Badlands with the intent of tackling the Rubicon trail. Black Bear Pass is on the bucket list to tackle while we are headed to or from the Rubicon. I have 2 of the 6 possible delays in the build. The reservation is an order, but with so many unknowns and possible delays, Black Bear Pass will probably be a 2022 trip for us.

BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Don't delete

Aug 7, 2020
Atkinson, NH
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Parlee
Member #

7 months ago yesterday(7/13/20) I reserved a Badlands with the intent of tackling the Rubicon trail. Black Bear Pass is on the bucket list to tackle while we are headed to or from the Rubicon. I have 2 of the 6 possible delays in the build. The reservation is an order, but with so many unknowns and possible delays, Black Bear Pass will probably be a 2022 trip for us.
Agreed! Realistically looking at 2022. Like yourself, I ordered what I want/need irrespective of the possible commodity constraints. I do hope some BN members who get their Broncos this summer will consider heading to Super C and maybe some of the trails in Colorado. I can live vicariously through their adventures!

Last edited:

Lester10-3

Rank V

Champion I

Aug 11, 2020
Montrose, CO, USA
First Name
Lester
Last Name
Sendecki
Member #

If I am still waiting for my BadLands, and still driving my J**p, I will be glad to join you for a run over Black Bear Pass. It is one of the trails adopted by the Western Slope 4 Wheelers. Just hope it is not closed by an early snow.

BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Don't delete

Aug 7, 2020
Atkinson, NH
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Parlee
Member #

If I am still waiting for my BadLands, and still driving my J**p, I will be glad to join you for a run over Black Bear Pass. It is one of the trails adopted by the Western Slope 4 Wheelers. Just hope it is not closed by an early snow.
Question? The narrator in the attached video describes a section of Black Bear Pass as "The Slide". I have queued the video up to that section of the narration. Have you experienced that moment? Sounds challenging!

• Wow
Reactions: Deano Bronc

Lester10-3

Rank V

Champion I

Aug 11, 2020
Montrose, CO, USA
First Name
Lester
Last Name
Sendecki
Member #

Have to admit I did not notice a 'Slide' on my trips over Black Bear Pass. The road surface changes every Spring after snow melt and during the season from rain run off & just from being driven.
Heed the warning on the sign at the entrance: Experienced Drivers Only!

It is more dangerous than difficult. Mistakes can be fatal in a big hurry. I have heard that the County on the Telluride side would like to have it declared a Bicycle Trail & keep motorized vehicle off.
Consider yourself warned.
Stay safe out there.

gibsBRonCO

Rank V

Supporter III

Mar 21, 2020
Cuchara, CO, USA
Member #

Question? The narrator in the attached video describes a section of Black Bear Pass as "The Slide". I have queued the video up to that section of the narration. Have you experienced that moment? Sounds challenging!
Agree with Lester10-3, first I've heard of this area being called the Slide. And never noticed any movement to the right as he described. It is a very narrow shelf road and not for people scared of heights. Also the narrator's reference to the "first" switchback seems odd. I've always considered the first switchback to be the one just after the Steps and before the water crossing. I would consider his "first" to actually be the second switchback. The video did a good job of showing the difficulty of the switchbacks and how close you have to come to the edge. (Also he mispronounced Imogene - he didn't say it like the locals say it! LOL) Overall a good video. Thanks for posting.

SlashRacer

Rank VI

Champion I

May 31, 2020
Allegan, MI, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Heckman
Member #

So @David I am curious what PSI you ran, and on that one really tight switchback did you utilize the trail turn assist?
I was wondering the same about trail turn assist on this trail in particular. Great question!
@Chase Gentry had a post on Instragram with him going down BBP with the turn assist on and never had to back up to make a multi-point turn.

wolfbuzz

Rank 0

Advocate II

Jan 31, 2021
Colorado
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
McLaughlin
The best wheeling in North America exists in the San Juans of Colorado. Head to Lake City, take Engineer Pass to Silverton. Then, head North on 550 to Black Bear. After that, hit Imogene which will get you to Ouray. Take your time, read the historical markers, take off shoots, take pictures. Truly, some of the most beautiful scenery there is. Just don't be the guy blasting music, revving their engine, and being inconsiderate on the trail. Let people enjoy in the mountains and these trails.