Black Bear Pass, CO – Bronco Territory?

BuzzyBud
Sep 29, 2020

Rank VI

Sep 29, 2020

First off, I have never been to Colorado, but I LOVE the look of Black Bear Pass (BBP).

I have attached a video made by Mike, the LLOD guy, as he drove over BBP with his Jeep buddies. I positioned the start point where they have arrived at the start of BBP. Feel free to watch the entire video since I feel it is one of his best.

I hope some of our BN members have driven over BBP. Mike talks about a section called the “Steps” which has some technical difficulties. Perhaps a good section for testing the Sta Bar Disconnect? Also, the pass has several switchbacks. One of the tightest appears at the 17:30 point in the video. Perhaps a good place to utilize the Trail Turn Assist?

I can not get enough of this stuff! Hope you enjoy it!

the poacher, Katwithcosmos
Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2020

Rank V

Sep 29, 2020

Love Black Bear! I've been over it a few times and was hoping to do it 2 weeks ago with my Bronco Nation buddies but we ran out of time and ran Ophir Pass instead. The steps would probably be a good place for the sway bar disconnect. Trail Turn Assist may be bit helpful on the tightest switchbacks. Unfortunately my '69 doesn't have that feature :).
KennyMac, ATC Enthusiast

Road trip!!!

Sep 29, 2020

I've watched several videos on BBP. One of the videos I watched, they became stranded because the rain washed rocks on the trail and it was impossible for them to get through. The trail had to be cleared with an excavator so they could get out. It's one of the places I was looking at going next year.

This is the video. They had an INSANE trip!

2021 Badlands, 4 door, 2.7L, Auto, LUX, SAS, Tow Package, MIC, Velocity Blue.
the poacher, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Oct 16, 2020

I've done it several times both in my Early Bronco and a Jeep Rubicon. It would be easily doable in a new Bronco especially the 2-door. The 4-door will just require more point turns on a few of the switchbacks. The forward facing camera will help a lot!! As @tzuercher said, the sway bar disconnect will help on the Steps - one spot is a bit off-camber and can be tricky. Black Bear Pass is a very cool trail!

BTW, Google "Youtube German Lady on Black Bear Pass". It's a hoot! (Bill and Elfie Tower video)
2022 Bronco BadSquatch, 1974 Bronco Ranger, 1976 Bronco Crawler, 1978 Bronco Custom
k-bo, SlashRacer

Rank VI

Oct 16, 2020

My goodness, quite the A-team in the replies here.
Bronco Nation Member #144
David in the Bronco Nation Forums
BroncoTroubadour on Instagram
the poacher, HoosierDaddy

Road trip!!!

Oct 16, 2020

BTW, Google "Youtube German Lady on Black Bear Pass". It's a hoot! (Bill and Elfie Tower video)

I’m planning on doing it, but won’t tell my wife what we are doing. She would say NO WAY if she watched any videos on it or knew about it.
Pazzo, ResidualGenius

Rank VI

Oct 16, 2020

I’m planning on doing it, but won’t tell my wife what we are doing. She would say NO WAY if she watched any videos on it or knew about it.
I bet your wife would like one of these.

the poacher, TK1215

Rank V

Oct 16, 2020

Love Black Bear! I've been over it a few times and was hoping to do it 2 weeks ago with my Bronco Nation buddies but we ran out of time and ran Ophir Pass instead. The steps would probably be a good place for the sway bar disconnect. Trail Turn Assist may be bit helpful on the tightest switchbacks. Unfortunately my '69 doesn't have that feature :).

@BuzzyBud I was riding with Todd on that trip, and we were disappointed we were not able to do it, but Ophir was pretty spectacular too.

Attachments

SlashRacer, BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Oct 18, 2020

Never been to CO but the wife and I plan on taking a road trip there in the new Bronco. I’d love to check this trail out. Looks amazing
allan, gibsBRonCO

Moab or bust!!!

Oct 18, 2020

Lol, that was amazing! She did great compared to what my wife would do.
Amazing scenery!
2022 Bronco Badlands, 4D, Hot Pepper Red, 2.7, Squatch, Lux, and MIC.
7/13/2020 10:04pm reservation. Blend 6/16/2022 Delivered 6/26/2022.
Dealership - Stephen's Auto Center.
Slownstddy, SlashRacer

Moab or bust!!!

Oct 22, 2020

Holy crap! Sometimes people get too complacent and forget about how dangerous it can be out there.
Here's some info and the video below.
https://www.thedrive.com/news/37023...e-after-falling-off-colorados-black-bear-pass

Deepshag, ResidualGenius

Road trip!!!

Oct 22, 2020

Holy crap! Sometimes people get too complacent and forget about how dangerous it can be out there.
https://www.thedrive.com/news/37023...e-after-falling-off-colorados-black-bear-pass

If I want my wife to go to Black Bear Pass with me, I’ll make sure she doesn’t see this video.
RonM0710, pilonfx

Road trip!!!

Oct 22, 2020

“One such accident occurred over the weekend on Oct. 10. A woman and two dogs were in the red Jeep Wrangler pictured below, waiting for the driver to return from helping another car when it slid off the trail, ejecting her while rolling several times. While the vehicle was almost completely destroyed the female passenger survived, albeit with serious injuries.”

Not sure how the truck slid off edge if the driver wasn’t in it.:unsure: Vehicle not in park? Someone knock it out of park? Manual transmission and pop out of gear? How come he didn’t set the EMERGENCY break when he got out?

This is an eye opener and something that could have happened to anyone. Honestly, I don’t I would have set it if I would have gotten out. Going forward, I will ALWAYS SET THE EMERGENCY BRAKE if I am in a situation like that and get out of the vehicle. I’ve seen many vehicles at boat ramps that were put in park, only to roll back in the water.
the poacher, Broncofly

Moab or bust!!!

Oct 22, 2020

“One such accident occurred over the weekend on Oct. 10. A woman and two dogs were in the red Jeep Wrangler pictured below, waiting for the driver to return from helping another car when it slid off the trail, ejecting her while rolling several times. While the vehicle was almost completely destroyed the female passenger survived, albeit with serious injuries.”

Not sure how the truck slid off edge if the driver wasn’t in it.:unsure: Vehicle not in park? Someone knock it out of park? Manual transmission and pop out of gear? How come he didn’t set the EMERGENCY break when he got out?

This is an eye opener and something that could have happened to anyone. Honestly, I don’t I would have set it if I would have gotten out. Going forward, I will ALWAYS SET THE EMERGENCY BRAKE if I am in a situation like that and get out of the vehicle. I’ve seen many vehicles at boat ramps that were put in park, only to roll back in the water.
Did a little searching and came across this on 6G.
Jeep Accident.jpg
the poacher, Bronc96

Road trip!!!

Oct 22, 2020

@David after watching the video and reading about the incident, do you think it’s possible to have a safety section added to the forum? We have a lot of first timers who have never owned a 4x4.
ATC Enthusiast, pilonfx

Rank V

Oct 22, 2020

Full size pickups, broncos and blazers have been traveling Black Bear Pass for decades. Jeeps and early broncos, and FJs just fit on the trail better, and take less maneuvering at the switchbacks.
2D BL, Sas, 2.7l, High, Silver 10:22pm 7/13/20 Res, 1/31 2/7 2/14 2/28 3/7 build dates
built 3/11/22, delivered 4/16/22
Broncofly, Bronc96

Road trip!!!

Oct 25, 2020

the poacher, Deepshag

Road trip!!!

Oct 25, 2020

Broncofly, Bronc96

Road trip!!!

Oct 26, 2020

This guy here does nice overland video adventures.

Broncofly, RedCo

Rank V

Oct 26, 2020

@David after watching the video and reading about the incident, do you think it’s possible to have a safety section added to the forum? We have a lot of first timers who have never owned a 4x4.

Good suggestion. We will discuss this with the moderator team!
Broncofly, ResidualGenius