Black Bear Pass 1 - Bronco Sport 0

SlashRacer
Sep 26, 2021

Road trip!!!

Sep 26, 2021

*10am Update: Black Bear Pass and Bridal Veil Road are now open. Thank you for your patience.
----
*Black Bear Pass and Bridal Veil Rd CLOSED to vehicle traffic

1045am Dog update: 1 year-old golden doodle "Chewy" treated for minor injuries, doing well.
10am According to initial reports, driver is an out of state 23 year-old female who was ejected and suffered serious injuries. Her passenger was out of the vehicle when rollover occurred and not injured, and a dog was ejected and being treated at a local vet. Fortunately, no hikers or drivers of other vehicles were killed or injured by this falling car or associated debris.

Sheriff Masters wishes to thank TFPD, Telluride Marshal’s Deputies, and CSP for their efficient response and care and extends his best wishes to the driver for a good recovery from her serious injuries. Sheriff Masters also wants to remind everyone, “Black Bear Pass is an extremely dangerous road and should only be driven by experienced off-road drivers in appropriate off-road vehicles. Legally, a 16 year-old who got his driver’s license a few hours prior, may attempt to drive the pass in his grandmother’s 1980’s sedan. That doesn’t mean it’s safe to do so."

0940 Deputies and wrecker on scene; estimated time for road and pass to be re-open is by 1030am.
0830 Black Bear Pass and Bridal Veil Rd are closed due to vehicle rollover. Will reopen after wrecker removes vehicle. Unknown ETA.
Driver treated on scene by Telluride Fire Protection District medics and transported to Telluride Regional Medical Center for further care.

Photos courtesty of Telluride Fire Protection District

052CB1A6-02AA-4602-84FE-66BEB679A536.jpeg5F2E111F-B215-4F58-927F-547676ABBD38.jpegADC23867-8170-44B8-AF11-99D3E74D1AD5.jpeg
2021 Badlands, 4 door, 2.7L, Auto, LUX, SAS, Tow Package, MIC, Velocity Blue.
joshyboy691, KennyMac
Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2021

No Ragerts

Sep 26, 2021

YUCK! Hopefully she & the dog have a speedy and full recovery.
- 2023 Raptor / Shadow Black / MGV (DOB 8/30/23)
- 2023 Heritage Limited Edition / Robin’s Egg Blue / 4dr / (stolen from my dealer 11/15/23)
Commodore, Deano Bronc

Rank V

Sep 26, 2021

Our thoughts and prayers go out to all those involved for a speedy recovery.
Bronco Badlands, Bronco Black Diamond, Bronco Big Bend, & Bronco Sport Badlands
www.youtube.com/1five1garage
WilfredBucoy, Commodore

Life is a Highway

Sep 26, 2021

Wow scary stuff. Is it true she was 16?
Commodore, SlashRacer

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Sep 26, 2021

Article said 23 yo was ejected.

EJECTED means she wasn't wearing a seat belt.
Commodore, SlashRacer

Gladesmen

Sep 26, 2021

I think she was 23 the 16 year old was just an example that a newbi shouldn’t attempt this trail.

yes and seatbelts even on the trail.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
Commodore, SlashRacer

Rank VI

Sep 26, 2021

Oof! My cousin sent me this earlier, and I didn’t even realize it was a Bronco.
Badlands | Sasquatch | Cyber Orange | 2.7L | Lux | Soft Top
Commodore, SlashRacer

Life is a Highway

Sep 26, 2021

I think she was 23 the 16 year old was just an example that a newbi shouldn’t attempt this trail.

yes and seatbelts even on the trail.
Oh man I saw that and thought wow! Heck even as a 23 year old or a 80 year old, that is some scary stuff!
Bronclahoma, Commodore

Life is a Highway

Sep 26, 2021

Years ago I had a friend killed in a rollover crash. Ripped the seatbelt right out from the floor mount
Commodore, Jakob1972

Rank V

Sep 26, 2021

So wait a minute . . . does it say the ENGINE was also ejected?? If so, that was a very serious rollover!!

Blessings all around that no one was killed. Goes to show how easy it is to roll while out on the trail, and the Bronco Sport (this model) I am sure has a lower center of gravity (harder to roll) than the full-size big brother, especially lifted on a SAS arrangement . . . potentially could have been worse with a heavier vehicle rolling down the mountain.
Commodore, SlashRacer

Life is a Highway

Sep 26, 2021

So wait a minute . . . does it say the ENGINE was also ejected?? If so, that was a very serious rollover!!

Blessings all around that no one was killed. Goes to show how easy it is to roll while out on the trail, and the Bronco Sport (this model) I am sure has a lower center of gravity (harder to roll) than the full-size big brother, especially lifted on a SAS arrangement . . . potentially could have been worse with a heavier vehicle rolling down the mountain.
Not sure about that, the Bronco is taller but also has a wider stance helping with stabilizing it, plus the lockers, stabar disconnect, trail turn assist and the cameras. The bottom line is, no matter which vehicle, these kinds of endeavors are inherently dangerous. Slow and steady as she goes. There was a video on YouTube of a fully decked out Jeep rolling down the mountain. Definitely is a pucker butt moment
Commodore, SlashRacer

Life is a Highway

Sep 26, 2021

Praying for a speedy recovery
Commodore, SlashRacer

Rank Benevolent Dictator

Sep 26, 2021

Ouch, that is very lucky that the female survived being ejected, not good. Hopefully she will recover fully in due course.
GDavis, Commodore

Rank III

Sep 27, 2021

Follow-up reports indicate the driver came up from Telluride and ignored the one-way warnings and entered Black Bear going the wrong way. After a few switchbacks they decided to turn around. The passenger was outside the vehicle spotting. Driver backed up on an embankent and the vehicle began to roll. Went off the edge. Yes. A lot of mistakes on her part. There is a lesson to be learned here. Lots of first-time 4wd people driving BSs, No matter how capable the vehicle, it's no more capable than the driver.
CaliFilly, JoergH

Rank VI

Sep 27, 2021

This a video of a Jeep going down last year in virtually the same place, a few seconds later and the crash would have involved two vehicles. This was in the thread on 6G the video will just scare the living daylights out of you.

1632719397393-jpeg.177776.jpg

Heidi.Blue.42, Bronco_Girl

Rank VI

Sep 27, 2021

Oof! My cousin sent me this earlier, and I didn’t even realize it was a Bronco.
Doors stayed shut and all the air-bags deployed... Hard to tell it was a Bronco
the poacher, Bronclahoma

Rank III

Sep 27, 2021

This a video of a Jeep going down last year in virtually the same place, a few seconds later and the crash would have involved two vehicles. This was in the thread on 6G the video will just scare the living daylights out of you.

View attachment 18804

This driver was out of his Jeep spotting for a buddy and didn't put it in park or set the break and it rolled off with his wife inside.

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Sep 27, 2021

This driver was out of his Jeep spotting for a buddy and didn't put it in park or set the break and it rolled off with his wife inside.
Maybe it was planned that way.
Bronco_Girl, SuperMike

Rank VI

Sep 27, 2021

That's gonna leave a mark.
2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
Sold - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole
PSUTE, the poacher

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Sep 27, 2021

Follow-up reports indicate the driver came up from Telluride and ignored the one-way warnings and entered Black Bear going the wrong way. After a few switchbacks they decided to turn around. The passenger was outside the vehicle spotting. Driver backed up on an embankent and the vehicle began to roll. Went off the edge. Yes. A lot of mistakes on her part. There is a lesson to be learned here. Lots of first-time 4wd people driving BSs, No matter how capable the vehicle, it's no more capable than the driver.

Going the wrong way ? Darwin award nominee.
PSUTE, the poacher