Big Bend - Build - please help

Timothy
Dec 17, 2020

Rank III

Dec 17, 2020

Dear Bronco Nation,

I have been using the Ford.com online Build & Price configuration website.
I am narrowing down a Big Bend build and have a few questions for the community.

My current thinking, at the moment anyway, seems to change weekly :cool:

2021 Ford Bronco Big Bend.png

Use:
Family use, mostly freeway driving, yet planning some epic road trips. We won't go crazy on trails, look to stay conservative as we are new to the off-roads, yet want to keep our equipment in good condition and have the vehicle protection in place to keep the Bronco in good shape in case we hit a rough part of the trail.

2021 Big Bend Bronco Build
Mid Package
SelectionQuestion
ExteriorOxford White
4-door
Soft top
Front Steel Bash Plates
WinchUndecided, looking into more. I see the benefits when on a long trail drive.Is that an option here? I don't see it on the Big Bend build and configure. Is there a good 3rd party source to get a good winch for the Bronco? - I now see the option, thank you for pointing it out.
Splash Guards - front and rearGood idea from the Ford factory, 3rd party better option?
Keyless Entry Keypad?Not sure if I want this option or not, thoughts?
Screen Shot 2020-12-16 at 11.10.08 PM.pngPlanning on skipping, yet thoughts on getting them?
InteriorScreen Shot 2020-12-16 at 11.11.32 PM.pngThe interior is an area I wish I could go with a full Tan color, do you know of any good 3rd party options for carpet, seat covers, etc on the interior?

See my post about Tan interior colors.
Engine2.7L EcoBoost EngineI like the idea of the bigger engine size with the 4-door Bronco fully loaded with people and cargo.
Transmission10-Speed Select Shift Automatic
Drive4x4 with Part Time Selectable Engagement (not in snow)
Rear Axle RatioRear locking Differential, 4.27 Locking Rear Axle Final Drive Ratio (is this a better selection than the 3.73 for gas mileage? Or will that not really come into play here with the 10 speed transmission?)I could use some help here to understand the Rear Axle Ratio and what one is the best for my needs and current configuration.
Commodore, BuzzyBud

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Dec 17, 2020

You can add the winch (requires modular front bumper). It's under "Accessories>Exterior>Hitches Towing and Recovery".
Screenshot_20201216-220501_Chrome.jpg
Timothy, bdawson24

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Dec 17, 2020

This thread has info about the axle ratios:
https://community.thebronconation.com/forums/threads/rear-axle-drive-ratio-options.2225/post-25180I think that 3.73 sounds like a better fit for how you plan to use it, especially if you're concerned about mpgs, but if you want it to feel a little more zippy off the line or think you might want to someday tackle more difficult trails then get the 4.27.
talbot, Bronc96

Rank VI

Dec 17, 2020

Dear Bronco Nation,

I have been using the Ford.com online Build & Price configuration website.
I am narrowing down a Big Bend build and have a few questions for the community.

My current thinking, at the moment anyway, seems to change weekly :cool:

View attachment 6493

Use:
Family use, mostly freeway driving, yet planning some epic road trips. We won't go crazy on trails, look to stay conservative as we are new to the off-roads, yet want to keep our equipment in good condition and have the vehicle protection in place to keep the Bronco in good shape in case we hit a rough part of the trail.

2021 Big Bend Bronco Build
Mid Package
SelectionQuestion
ExteriorOxford White
4-door
Soft top
Front Steel Bash Plates
WinchN/AIs that an option here? I don't see it on the Big Bend build and configure. Is there a good 3rd party source to get a good winch for the Bronco?
Splash Guards - front and rearGood idea from the Ford factory, 3rd party better option?
Keyless Entry Keypad?Not sure if I want this option or not, thoughts?
View attachment 6494Planning on skipping, yet thoughts on getting them?
InteriorView attachment 6495The interior is an area I wish I could go with a full Tan color, do you know of any good 3rd party options for carpet, seat covers, etc on the interior?

See my post about
Tan interior colors.
Engine2.7L EcoBoost EngineI like the idea of the bigger engine size with the 4-door Bronco fully loaded with people and cargo.
Transmission10-Speed Select Shift Automatic
Drive4x4 with Part Time Selectable Engagement (not in snow)
Rear Axle RatioRear locking Differential, 4.27 Locking Rear Axle Final Drive Ratio (is this a better selection than the 3.73 for gas mileage? Or will that not really come into play here with the 10 speed transmission?)I could use some help here to understand the Rear Axle Ratio and what one is the best for my needs and current configuration.

It was good to read you are planning to purchase a Ford Bronco and take it on epic road trips with your family. Those trips will create lasting memories! Nice!

You have come to the right place for information. Our Bronco Nation is full of knowledgeable and helpful members. Like most of us, you have a lot to learn, but let us get you started.

I know the interior tan-colored seats are important to you and I also know Ford does not currently offer what you seek. You could consider gathering a list of potential aftermarket organizations. I have attached below a link to a company that has already indicated they plan to develop seat covers for the Bronco. You could email them and indicate you want tan seat covers.

Custom Leather Seat Covers, Car Seats, & Leather Auto Interiors | Katzkin

On the issue of recovery gear, you indicated you might be interested in purchasing a winch. As you know, the winch will require the Heavy-Duty Modular Bumper. You could start with the bumper as you learn more about the Factory installed winch and more importantly the skills to safely use a winch. The link below will help get you started.

See also the thread in the link below.

Anyone Planning on Ordering a Winch from Ford | Bronco Nation Forum (thebronconation.com)

At some point, you will want to consider owning a recovery bag with assorted gear. The following thread will help get you started.

ARB Recovery bag | Bronco Nation Forum (thebronconation.com)

You may already understand the term Recovery Boards and how to use them. If not, see the following thread.

Winch, Recovery Boards, or Both! | Bronco Nation Forum (thebronconation.com)

I know this is a lot of information to digest, but for the safety of your family, it is important and just the beginning. Please circle back if questions arise. We are here to help you.
Commodore, RedCo

Rank III

Dec 17, 2020

It was good to read you are planning to purchase a Ford Bronco and take it on epic road trips with your family. Those trips will create lasting memories! Nice!

You have come to the right place for information. Our Bronco Nation is full of knowledgeable and helpful members. Like most of us, you have a lot to learn, but let us get you started.

I know the interior tan-colored seats are important to you and I also know Ford does not currently offer what you seek. You could consider gathering a list of potential aftermarket organizations. I have attached below a link to a company that has already indicated they plan to develop seat covers for the Bronco. You could email them and indicate you want tan seat covers.

On the issue of recovery gear, you indicated you might be interested in purchasing a winch. As you know, the winch will require the Heavy-Duty Modular Bumper. You could start with the bumper as you learn more about the Factory installed winch and more importantly the skills to safely use a winch. The link below will help get you started.

Anyone Planning on Ordering a Winch from Ford | Bronco Nation Forum (thebronconation.com)

At some point, you will want to consider owning a recovery bag with assorted gear. The following thread will help get you started.

You may already understand the term Recovery Boards and how to use them. If not, see the following thread.

I know this is a lot of information to digest, but for the safety of your family, it is important and just the beginning. Please circle back if questions arise. We are here to help you.
I am so grateful for a community here to get quick feedback, thank you for taking time to post the information!
Bronc96, TorgSurv

Rank III

Dec 19, 2020

@BuzzyBud The video on how to operate a winch, is appreaciated. What did we do before we had Youtube videos? It is so helpful to see and learn how to do something.
SlashRacer, Deano Bronc

Rank III

Dec 19, 2020

@BuzzyBud Yes, we will expand on the epic road trip we are planning. We are looking forward to mapping it out. So far our destination is AZ. We are still gathering ideas and looking at what routes to take. I am sure we will have more questions soon.
Bronc96, BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Dec 19, 2020

@BuzzyBud Yes, wevwill expand on the epric road trip we are planning. We are looknig forward to mapping it out. So far our destination is AZ. We are still gathering ideas and looking at what routes to take. I am sure we will have more questions soon.

Epic Road trips are great for the family. One idea is to consider using trip-planning software that generates a .gpx file. Products such as GAIA GPS will generate a .gpx file. Some travelers also like using Google Earth which can work with .gpx files.

I addition to having a great family trip plan, you gain the skills you need for two other applications. For one, we know the Bronco Nation product called “Round-Up” will accept a .gpx file which can then be shared with other BN members and away you go. The other potential application will be a product Ford is calling “Trail Maps”. There is still a lot we do not yet know about how that system works, however, it should accept a .gpx upload.
Bronc96

Rank III

Dec 22, 2020

Thank you again for posting these helpful links.
toyota needs to be pulled out.png
My son was watching it with me, I look over, here it is - see it get pulled out I tell my son so he pays attention, he looks at the screen and says "what would you expect, it is a Toyota".
I know what he means, he is making light of the fact a Toyota would get stuck.
I let out a good laugh at this.
Bronc96, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Dec 22, 2020

Thank you again for posting these helpful links.
View attachment 6761
My son was watching it with me, I look over, here it is - see it get pulled out I tell my son so he pays attention, he looks at the screen and says "what would you expect, it is a Toyota".
I know what he means, he is making light of the fact a Toyota would get stuck.
I let out a good laugh at this.

It is wonderful how you involve your son in Bronco related videos/activities. It brings back memories of when my daughter was little, and I bought a Ford Ranger pickup. She loved going for rides with me since the Ranger rode high on oversized tires. She now has a family of her own. Over the years I would hand off to her my gently used Ford vehicles. When she heard I was planning to buy a 2021 Bronco, she got all excited and I know why. I said, hold the phone the Bronco goes to my grandson and he better know how to make repairs since it will not be gently used by the time, he gets it. Ha-ha!
Bronc96, Deano Bronc

Rank III

Dec 22, 2020

It is wonderful how you involve your son in Bronco related videos/activities. It brings back memories of when my daughter was little, and I bought a Ford Ranger pickup. She loved going for rides with me since the Ranger rode high on oversized tires. She now has a family of her own. Over the years I would hand off to her my gently used Ford vehicles. When she heard I was planning to buy a 2021 Bronco, she got all excited and I know why. I said, hold the phone the Bronco goes to my grandson and he better know how to make repairs since it will not be gently used by the time, he gets it. Ha-ha!
I love it!
I had a fun road trip work out with my daughter this past year...
mustang-capital.jpg
At the beginning of 2020 I found a 2003 Ford Mustang.
It was a great match for me, white exterior with an all tan interior (you know how I like that). So, my daughter and I found an amazing deal on a flight, we flew a up to New Jersey, test drove the vehicle and bought it. (I was looking at a new 2020 Mustang but those don't come with tan interiors, this one fit the bill to a T.). I love it. So, we start driving back home in the Mustang and stop in Washington DC on the drive back about 9pm. All the main DC historical sites are well lit at night, we easily drive around and visit many of them. Get a few photos of them with the car. We took turns driving the Mustang all the way back home. A trip I will never forget.

My dad and a '66 Ford Mustang
My dad drove with me on a road trip from California (back in 1997) where I got a 1966 Ford Mustang. I think about that now and appreciate it even more. For him to drop what he was doing (I had found a Mustang online). We flew to California, test drove, purchased and drove it home. It was a nice (not showroom but nice) 66' Mustang. Those memories came back as my daughter and I made the trip to find the 2003 Mustang.

Needless to say, I am a fan of Ford vehicles.
Bronc96, Jakob1972

Rank III

Dec 23, 2020

Did the Build & Price cost for options just jump?
Seems like my build is $1,500 more today than the last time I checked for the Big Bend package and options?
Bronco

Rank II

Dec 23, 2020

Did the Build & Price cost for options just jump?
Seems like my build is $1,500 more today than the last time I checked for the Big Bend package and options?
View attachment 6766

adding a AT (or a 2.7 which added the AT) bumped up the cost in everything but the OBX
Bronc96, Deano Bronc

Gladesmen

Dec 23, 2020

I love it!
I had a fun road trip work out with my daughter this past year...
View attachment 6764
At the beginning of 2020 I found a 2003 Ford Mustang.
It was a great match for me, white exterior with an all tan interior (you know how I like that). So, my daughter and I found an amazing deal on a flight, we flew a up to New Jersey, test drove the vehicle and bought it. (I was looking at a new 2020 Mustang but those don't come with tan interiors, this one fit the bill to a T.). I love it. So, we start driving back home in the Mustang and stop in Washington DC on the drive back about 9pm. All the main DC historical sites are well lit at night, we easily drive around and visit many of them. Get a few photos of them with the car. We took turns driving the Mustang all the way back home. A trip I will never forget.

My dad and a '66 Ford Mustang
My dad drove with me on a road trip from California (back in 1997) where I got a 1966 Ford Mustang. I think about that now and appreciate it even more. For him to drop what he was doing (I had found a Mustang online). We flew to California, test drove, purchased and drove it home. It was a nice (not showroom but nice) 66' Mustang. Those memories came back as my daughter and I made the trip to find the 2003 Mustang.

Needless to say, I am a fan of Ford vehicles.
Road trips with your kids makes them smarter.

In 2016 we were pulling the trailer to Yellowstone I drive the wife is navigator (we are old school have Navi but I don’t use it) we were in Kansas and we were supposed turn off the highway and head north but I missed the exit and we were heading west and I was telling the boys in a few hours we will start to see the mountains that’s when my navigator realized I missed the exit, and started telling me I was supposed to turn back there. And from the back seat we hear “worst Chewbacca ever.” My 12 year old smart ass great memories.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
RedCo, Bronc96

Rank III

Dec 23, 2020

Road trips with your kids makes them smarter.

In 2016 we were pulling the trailer to Yellowstone I drive the wife is navigator (we are old school have Navi but I don’t use it) we were in Kansas and we were supposed turn off the highway and head north but I missed the exit and we were heading west and I was telling the boys in a few hours we will start to see the mountains that’s when my navigator realized I missed the exit, and started telling me I was supposed to turn back there. And from the back seat we hear “worst Chewbacca ever.” My 12 year old smart ass great memories.
Love it when our children add the humor!
Jakob1972, BuzzyBud