Best of Moab: Activities

David
Dec 18, 2020

Rank VI

Dec 18, 2020

Off-Roadeo is coming to Moab. If you've already been to Moab, what would you suggest people do while they're there?
Bronco Nation Member #144
David in the Bronco Nation Forums
BroncoTroubadour on Instagram
Mantruck, Bronc96
Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2020

Rank VI

Dec 18, 2020

Other than wheeling?

-There's hiking and mountain biking opportunities in spades. Look for trails featuring arches, there are literally dozens. There are also opportunities to see native rock art on a lot of trails. Grandstaff canyon is a great box canyon hike with an arch and with a natural spring at the end. Beware poison Ivy though.
-The Anticline Overlook is at the end of several miles of washboard that a 2wd sedan can get down. The view is gorgeous, especially at dawn or dusk.
-There are two National Parks in easy driving distance from town. Both have sections that are paved for easy access with 2wd cars. If you've got 4x4 there's a "backdoor" into Arches that avoids the HUGE line at the main gate (you still need a park pass, go buy one at Canyonlands, thank me later).
-There's the dinosaur museum which is definitely kid oriented.
-There are whitewater rafting, river speed boat, and helicopter tours available.
-Walk through the downtown shops.

Hit the Brewery. And the Blue Pig. And Zaks Pizza.
Yeah, this thread is going to be a bit overwhelming for folks. There's so much to do in Moab.
Justin Benson, byronpete21

Rank VI

Dec 18, 2020

My list (other than wheeling, of course) would include:
  • Hiking in Arches National Park
  • Drive in Canyon Lands National Park
  • Biking by the Colorado River
Slownstddy, Bronc96

Rank VI

Dec 18, 2020

I haven't even started on 4x4 trails .....
I got a thread for you.

https://community.thebronconation.com/forums/threads/best-trails-around-moab.2696/
Mantruck, TorgSurv

Rank VI

Dec 18, 2020

I will definitely be dirt biking. All of the same iconic trails for 4x4 on a dirt bike. Depends on how long we are there, I’ve wanted to give Pritchett Canyon a shot on my bike.

Also, for anyone concerned with wheeling in Moab or any slick rock for that matter, slick rock makes you feel like a superhero. So much traction.

Also, Green River/White Wash Sand Dunes are close. The riding there is amazing
TorgSurv, Bronc96

Rank VI

Dec 18, 2020

I am so psyched for this :p
BroncoStoked, Bronc96

Rank V

Dec 18, 2020

My list (other than wheeling, of course) would include:
  • Hiking in Arches National Park
  • Drive in Canyon Lands Nation Park
  • Biking by the Colorado River

there’s that cool hike, nbd ;) :LOL:
6786FBA5-CEF0-403C-B7B9-F357E10B6E09.jpeg
BN #702
Utah.bronco on IG
Mantruck, BroncoStoked

Rank VI

Dec 18, 2020

there’s that one cool hike ;)
Careful though, it's listed as strenuous. :LOL:
Slownstddy, BroncoStoked

Rank VI

Dec 19, 2020

I love landscape astrophotography.
Whenever I travel to a site with dark skies, I try to get some awesome shots.
So, I'll certainly be doing that at Moab, one of the better dark-sky sites.

Here is one from this summer (comet NEOWISE over Kaibab Lake, AZ):
Comet_small.jpg
THE Buckeye Bronco, dinkinflicka

Rank VI

Dec 19, 2020

I love landscape astrophotography.
Whenever I travel to a site with dark skies, I try to get some awesome shots.
So, I'll certainly be doing that at Moab, one of the better dark-sky sites.

Here is one from this summer (comet NEOWISE over Kaibab Lake, AZ):
View attachment 6584
That's cool. Our resident Bronco hunter/Bronco photographer, @jparker, likes a good dark sky too. I grew up looking for dark skies with my dad. He was a pretty avid amateur astronomer. There were always Sky and Telescope magazines in the house. He'd always get excited for clear winter skies, and I'd be excited for a thermos of hot chocolate.
Mantruck, BroncoStoked

Rank VI

Dec 19, 2020

That's cool. Our resident Bronco hunter/Bronco photographer, @jparker, likes a good dark sky too. I grew up looking for dark skies with my dad. He was a pretty avid amateur astronomer. There were always Sky and Telescope magazines in the house. He'd always get excited for clear winter skies, and I'd be excited for a thermos of hot chocolate.
Makes my wife crazy.
We have a place in Williams, AZ (near where I took that photo). Whenever we go up there, and it's a moonless night, I always take off with my gear and leave her back home with the dogs.
I think she is starting to get resigned to it...
Jakob1972, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Jan 26, 2021

The Moab area is one of the most amazing places. Drive into Arches national park (get there early and have your park pass already purchased). Put something inspiring on your stereo as you drive up the first hill...it will make your hair stand up when you take that first magic turn on the road. Get a reservation for Fiery Furnace guided trail (not that many slots per day, and you want to go early....it lives up to its name when the sandstone gets heated by the sun).

For a fun break, go into Sand Dune Arch (its one of the smallest arches in the park and seriously fun for a family). If you have never been to Arches, make sure you make the hike out to Delicate Arch for sunset. Go at least two hours before sunset and take a picnic. Its incredible to watch the sun go down and makes the hike even more worth it. Take a flashlight as you will be hiking back after the sun goes down (dont do the drive in overlook...its lame in comparison to actually standing at DA).

South of town, on BLM land, there is a large expanse of dunes and swales to play on. Its somewhat remote, but you can run and run (ATV/UTV) for hours. Make sure to take extra gas, you will use it (dont ask...I admit to nothing).

I have been to Moab every year for 40+ yrs (grew up in Utah). My favorite place on the planet....
BN 0232 Bronco "Skwach" - 4 Dr FE, Lightning Blue, MIC/NP
New acquisition - Ranger Lariat Tremor, Rapid Red "Quake" (Skwach's little brother)
Other fun stuff: Honda Pioneer 1000 dirt toy (Need hitch!)
dinkinflicka, TK1215

Rank VI

Jan 26, 2021

Head out to Dead Horse as well...the vista is incredible

https://photo.cjfrost.com/Utah/i-fbHm2xg/A
BN 0232 Bronco "Skwach" - 4 Dr FE, Lightning Blue, MIC/NP
New acquisition - Ranger Lariat Tremor, Rapid Red "Quake" (Skwach's little brother)
Other fun stuff: Honda Pioneer 1000 dirt toy (Need hitch!)
TK1215, TorgSurv

Rank VI

Jan 26, 2021

Then return by way of Long Canyon. Make a picture going under the rock overhang.
LagoCJ, TorgSurv

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Jan 29, 2021

Here's a link to the Moab Outdoor Adventure Guide, a great place to start. I'm going to try to fit in some river kayaking next time I'm there.
SlashRacer, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Jan 29, 2021

Check Red Rocks 4 Wheelers event calendar. Their Trip of the Month group rides have ben a great way to tour the area.
TorgSurv

Rank VI

Feb 04, 2021

tempImageAsbHZZ.png
Bronco Nation Member #0000
Instagram: bdawson24
LagoCJ, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Feb 05, 2021

70D1FEA4-67E8-4191-B2F1-D0D5FAAA3E84.jpeg
Bronco Nation Member #0000
Instagram: bdawson24
TorgSurv, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Feb 05, 2021

Just remember that it gets hot in Arches Nat Park in summer. Also, many days the park is really full. Past years there was an occasional closure at the gate. But yeah, it is spectacular.
TorgSurv

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Feb 07, 2021

@bdawson24 Which trails are those two pictures from?