Battery issues? Need help

TylerThomas
Oct 07, 2020

Rank 0

Oct 07, 2020

I just bought a 1986 Ford Bronco from an old lady who hasn’t drove it in quite awhile. The issue I have is when I hook my battery booster to the battery (battery is newer) the lights and everything will work but when I turn the key everything shuts off. Sometimes it’ll turn over but usually it’ll just shut off. When I turn the key back the lights come back on like normal. I changed the starter and starter solenoid. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I’m wondering if it’s a wire problem or something I’m just overlooking. Thanks!
Last edited by a moderator: Oct 07, 2020

Rank VI

Oct 07, 2020

Check the voltage of the battery. I would lean towards a shorting wire as well
Build week of 7/26....still....no its 8/16 now

Rank 0

Oct 07, 2020

What’s the best way to find a shorting wire? Just follow them all and look for cracks or anything wrong?

Rank VI

Oct 07, 2020

Check the voltage of the battery. I would lean towards a shorting wire as well
This, or possibly a bad ground.

Rank III

Oct 15, 2020

Check the negative cable where it attaches to the frame or fender or wherever it's attached. Un screw the bolt that attaches it and take a wire brush or sandpaper and clean the terminal end of the wire and the area where where it comes into contact with the truck. Reinstall the bolt and tighten FIRMLY. This may not be the problem, but this problem can certainly cause the symptoms you are describing.

Rank V

Jun 21, 2021

The battery could be really drained. The same thing happened on my Xterra, had to take the battery inside for a full charge. Then everything worked as should.