Bash plates - options.. what's the difference?

Calgecko
Nov 24, 2020

Official unofficial BN Photographer

Nov 24, 2020

I'm finding myself still undecided between a 4 door Wildtrack with High trim package and Leather interior, OR 4D Badlands with Sasquatch, 2.7 and hardtop roof... price between the two comes out VERY close ... one thing I'm unclear on though, is the two different 'bash plate' options ... One says "steel" bash plates, but the other just says "bash plates" with no description (leaving me to think they are not steel, but something else)?

Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 7.43.18 AM.png
Reservation: 7/20/20 | MY '21 order: 2/1/21 | MY '22 order: 10/22/21 | Blend 8/5, built 8/8, 'built' status 8/27, in my driveway 10/12/22
Auto Photographer in Sacramento CA:
www.instagram.com/photographybymarkbrooks
Shadowblade, TK1215
Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2020

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Nov 24, 2020

The "Front Steel Bash Plates" only protect the front end, while "Bash Plates" include underbody protection. The descriptions on B&P are woefully inadequate.

If you click on the (i) icon you get these descriptions:
Bash Plates: "Standard on Black Diamond, Badlands, and First Edition. Available with Heavy Duty Modular Front Bumper."
Front Steel Bash Plates: "Available on all Bronco Models. Requires Heavy Duty Modular Front Bumper."

Breakdown clipped from the "Bronco Lineup" pdf Ford published in July:
BashPlates.jpg

Base, Big Bend, & Outer Banks: "Front Steel Bash Plates" is included with the modular front bumper for $825.

Black Diamond, Badlands, & FE: "Bash Plates" is included as standard equipment.

Wildtrak:
  • "Front Steel Bash Plates" is included with the modular front bumper for $825.
  • If you don't select the modular bumper first and then select "Bash Plates" it requires adding the modular bumper and charges $1220 total.
  • If you select the "Front Steel Bash Plates" it requires adding the modular bumper and charges $825 total.
Shadowblade, TK1215

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Nov 24, 2020

Yet another reason for me to reconsider my plans to go with the Base model.
TK1215, Calgecko

Official unofficial BN Photographer

Nov 24, 2020

Yet another reason for me to reconsider my plans to go with the Base model.

Thanks so much for breaking it down for me!! The description on B&P is terrible... so, when I add on the bash plates/bumper onto the Wildtrak, and equip it with leather interior, it is more expensive than a similarly equipped Badlands (with MGV) .. that helps me confirm my decision!
Reservation: 7/20/20 | MY '21 order: 2/1/21 | MY '22 order: 10/22/21 | Blend 8/5, built 8/8, 'built' status 8/27, in my driveway 10/12/22
Auto Photographer in Sacramento CA:
www.instagram.com/photographybymarkbrooks
TK1215, TorgSurv

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Nov 24, 2020

Here's a little better description of the HD underbody protection standard on BD, BL, & FE, and available on WT (from the July 13 press release):
Bronco’s strategically placed steel shields protect critical hardware. Higher-capability models get an available front bash plate, plus shields for the engine, transmission, transfer case and fuel tank. For those taking on the roughest rocky terrain, Bronco’s available side rock rails are strong enough to support the weight of each side of the vehicle.
Shadowblade, Cliffhanger

Rank II

Jun 11, 2021

If you look on the website, it looks like it's incorrect. Here, it says the OB model comes standard with full underbody bash plates and rock rails: https://shop.ford.com/configure/bronco/model/customize/base

However, if you look at the (seemingly more accurate) .pdf, it says that it's only the front bash plate that's optional. https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten.../suvs/bronco/2021/pdf/21_Bronco_lineup_HR.pdf
Shadowblade, TK1215

Rank V

Jun 15, 2021

It's kind of odd that the 2dr doesn't get a fuel skid plate.

Attachments

Rank VI

Jun 16, 2021

Could it be because it’s closer to the axel and tires with the shorter wheel base which offers natural protection? Also, its a 2 door nobody wants them. :p:ROFLMAO:

Kidding truly. I really wanted a 2d, but the wife/accountant told me I can get my dream car, as long as its 4 door. So I compromised and got an FE 4door. :ROFLMAO: Come on August delivery!
Bronco Nation Member #2396
Ordered: First Edition w/Area 51, Onyx Interior, MIC Top
If you're not in a Ford Bronco, you better be on horseback.
Bronc96, ResidualGenius

Rank V

Jun 16, 2021

Could it be because it’s closer to the axel and tires with the shorter wheel base which offers natural protection? Also, its a 2 door nobody wants them. :p:ROFLMAO:

Kidding truly. I really wanted a 2d, but the wife/accountant told me I can get my dream car, as long as its 4 door. So I compromised and got an FE 4door. :ROFLMAO: Come on August delivery!

I certainly hope it will be protected properly. Maybe the AM will come up with something if the tank needs more protection.
Bronc96

Lakesinai

Jun 16, 2021

I'm finding myself still undecided between a 4 door Wildtrack with High trim package and Leather interior, OR 4D Badlands with Sasquatch, 2.7 and hardtop roof... price between the two comes out VERY close ... one thing I'm unclear on though, is the two different 'bash plate' options ... One says "steel" bash plates, but the other just says "bash plates" with no description (leaving me to think they are not steel, but something else)?

View attachment 5827
Several aftermarket sets of plating are/will be available from Ford and other supplier's. I dont like Ford's modular bumper, so will decide on plates later . . . And wait for a different modular bumper . . . If i get one. This full armor plating is heavy, and for me, unnecessary overkill since I primarily drive on sand! But if I start going near big rocks, i might change my mind, and add some plating..
SC OBX 2021 2.7, High, 4dr, ARB Air, Kuat Rack, Rear Locker, Non-Sas Beach Bronco
Bronc96, ResidualGenius