Base 2.3 liter turbo eco manual engine

Kylearmani
Apr 12, 2021

Rank 0

Apr 12, 2021

I feel like the turbo would make it fast on the highway (I plan on daily driving mine), but I don't know much about engines and the weight of the vehicle. Does anybody have an idea of how competent the engine is?
Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2021

Home, home on the range

Apr 12, 2021

I feel like the turbo would make it fast on the highway (I plan on daily driving mine), but I don't know much about engines and the weight of the vehicle. Does anybody have an idea of how competent the engine is?
From all I've read and seen it is more then capable of anything the average person will throw at it. I drove a Ranger with the 2.3. It was responsive and gave a nice boost of power when I hit the gas (a bit more than I needed to get up to interstate speed). There is a ride along video filmed at Moab with the 2.3 manual BL and it did great. For me the base will be perfect. This will be my first turbo engine, and the first 4 cylinder I've had in a 4x4 so I was skeptical. It prompted me to do some research and this is what I came up with.
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 2dr 2.3L manual Hot Pepper Red. Reserved 8/7/20. Ordered 1/23/21. Reordered 10/08/21. Scheduled week of January 24th 2022, delivered 2/24/2022
MDT, Bronc96

Rank 0

Apr 12, 2021

From all I've read and seen it is more then capable of anything the average person will throw at it. I drove a Ranger with the 2.3. It was responsive and gave a nice boost of power when I hit the gas (a bit more than I needed to get up to interstate speed). There is a ride along video filmed at Moab with the 2.3 manual BL and it did great. For me the base will be perfect. This will be my first turbo engine, and the first 4 cylinder I've had in a 4x4 so I was skeptical. It prompted me to do some research and this is what I came up with.
Thanks man that video helped a lot and gave me some good hope for mine.
14U

Gladesmen

Apr 12, 2021

Thanks man that video helped a lot and gave me some good hope for mine.
I test drove the Ranger with the 2.3l as well. I recently bought my first turbo gas vehicle ( I’ve had a couple of diesel trucks with turbos) it is a 20 Chevy Equinox with the 2.0 turbo 252 hp and that little car can scoot the Ranger is definitely more powerful and the turbo felt a little more linear that the Nox, it spools up quicker and gives you power all the way through where the Nox when the turbo lights up it kinda sneaks up on you like my old Cummins. The Ranger just feels like the power was there the whole time. It is more smooth. But that was just a limited test drive of about 10 miles or so. But that motor felt very capable. I’m going 2.3l manual I think the manual will make it even more fun. And I can be in eco or sport mode just by choosing my own shift points.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
MDT, Bronco V-8

Rank V

Apr 12, 2021

I have compared my Range Rover Sport V8 375 hp 375 lbs but pushes 5500 lbs now compared to 2.3 L twin scrolled turbocharge 270 hp and 310 lbs. But 4500 lbs. 1000 lbs lighter so do the math:
5500÷375 say 15 lbs per hp. vs 4500÷270 say 17 lbs per hp, but torque gets us going so 4500÷310 say 15 lbs per hp. Zero to 60 under 8 seconds.Now I compared to my Porsche Turbo Cayenne 5500÷ 450 say 12 lbs per hp.Zero to 60 was 5.8 secinds. So for say 3 more lbs per hp will cost me another $100,000 today. Take Defender 210 2.0L supercharged 5000÷275 say 17 lbs per hp and aluminum unibody Discivery platform at twice my basic Bronco.
Only issues with 2.3L is carbon build up in intake values, but Ford has some maintenance pricedure. Range Rover Sport no issues was Ford coyote type Ford Mustang block made in UK. Old 2.3 made in Spain . Cayenne V8 build loose. Hammer it and 2 quarts if Mobil One would bun up. Just chip it after 3 years and 2.3L like Focus RS 350 hp 4.4 seconds Zero to 60 reported.
mike hancho III, 14U

Your unofficial Favorite Author

Apr 12, 2021

Theyre definitely capable and a manual will be the Jelly to the Ecoboost's Peanut Butter. Had a Mustang Ecoboost Convertible, sadly auto, but she did move both before and after mods

*Mod list

CFM Baffled Billet Valve Cover Breather Kit
MMR CAI
UPR Dual Valve Oil Catch Can
FFTec Charge Pipes
Synapse DV
Steeda Throttle Body Spacer
Boomba Intake Manifold spacer
NGK 6510
FFTec Street Intercooler
Krona Catted DP
Turbosmart Wastegate Actuator 10psi
JDM Tuned using SCT4
-
Steeda: IRS Subframe bushing
Rear Lower Control Ar
Billet Vertical link
Rear Diff Bushing
Progressive Sport Spring
Sway Bars and End Links (F/R for both)
Bumper Steer Kit
Stainless Steel Brake Link
-
Koni Adjustable Shocks (F/R)
DBA 4000 XS Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors (F/R)
Hawk Pad
Stock Calipers painted Re
Mishimoto: Coolant Expansion Tank
Radiator
Radiator Silicone hose
Oil Cooler
RTR Grille+LED
American Muscle tints

Diode Dynamics 4th Brake Light/Sequential Turn Signal/Side Marker/Switchback Turn Signal/Interior Lighting/6k HID Bulb

Raxiom LED Halo Fog Lights
2dr Badlands 2.3 Manual w/Mid, Rapid Red
My blog, Mfcomics.net, my stories: https://payhip.com/MFComics
Deano Bronc, Sdakotabronco

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Apr 12, 2021

The real test is to put it in 3rd gear and see if it will take off from a stand still without slipping the clutch a lot.

Rank VI

Apr 12, 2021

I test drove a Ranger to get the feel for the 2.3 and was very impressed as it felt like it had plenty of power. My biggest complaint would be the 4 cyl sound but not a huge deal. I also drove an F-150 with the 2.7 which was also very impressive and I can only imagine the Bronc will be a real screamer with that engine. In the end, I ordered a 2.3 because the manual was a must have for me and will have no regrets on power. Keep in mind the Bronc's gearing will also come into play here, in other words, plenty of power to move the Bronc. (y)
Badlands, 2 door, 2.3L, Manual, High, Non-SAS, Tow Package, Roof Rails, MIC, Velocity Blue
TEEDEE, Speed Devil

Your unofficial Favorite Author

Apr 21, 2021

I test drove a Ranger to get the feel for the 2.3 and was very impressed as it felt like it had plenty of power. My biggest complaint would be the 4 cyl sound but not a huge deal. I also drove an F-150 with the 2.7 which was also very impressive and I can only imagine the Bronc will be a real screamer with that engine. In the end, I ordered a 2.3 because the manual was a must have for me and will have no regrets on power. Keep in mind the Bronc's gearing will also come into play here, in other words, plenty of power to move the Bronc. (y)

Downpipe will make it sound nicer and provide a big boost in power next to a tune. HFC should sound raspier from my experience, not sure how it'd be with DP and exhaust though, as same combo in my Audi drones *& Never got a chance to with my old mustang
2dr Badlands 2.3 Manual w/Mid, Rapid Red
My blog, Mfcomics.net, my stories: https://payhip.com/MFComics
Bronc96