Attaching GMRS Radio to the Picatinny Rail.

BuzzyBud
Oct 29, 2020

Rank VI

Oct 29, 2020

If you have been following along on my previous threads, you know I have selected a Midland MXT400 GMRS radio for my vehicle-to-vehicle communication needs.

This thread will show how I plan to attach the radio mount to the picatinny rail. I am sure there are other options Bronco owners will select. This is simply one option which should work for me.

When I purchased the radio, it came with a radio mount. I then needed to acquire the following.

• Two picatinny rail mounts.

• Black thumb screws.

• Four metal washers from my home collection.
The following pictures should help illustrate the items and how they are assembled.

Pic 1.jpg

Pic 2.jpg

Pic 3.jpg

Pic 4.jpg

Attaching the mount to the radio appears straight forward and the picture below should help illustrate the two attachment points on each side.

Pic 5.jpg

The radio also came with a mic holder. That will be attached to the dash later.

Hope this has been helpful. Feel free to post any questions/concerns.
BroncoFred, Rydfree

Rank IV

Oct 29, 2020

Is the Picatinny Rail standard on all Broncos or is an option that has not been released yet?
TigerRN, Slownstddy

Rank VI

Oct 29, 2020

Is the Picatinny Rail standard on all Broncos or is an option that has not been released yet?
I honestly do not know if the picatinny rail is on all Bronco models.
TigerRN

Rank V

Oct 29, 2020

This is the same thing I planned on doing as long as I can get the rail on base model.
BuzzyBud

Rank V

Oct 29, 2020

If you have been following along on my previous threads, you know I have selected a Midland MXT400 GMRS radio for my vehicle-to-vehicle communication needs.

This thread will show how I plan to attach the radio mount to the picatinny rail. I am sure there are other options Bronco owners will select. This is simply one option which should work for me.

When I purchased the radio, it came with a radio mount. I then needed to acquire the following.

• Two picatinny rail mounts.

• Black thumb screws.

• Four metal washers from my home collection.
The following pictures should help illustrate the items and how they are assembled.

View attachment 5241

View attachment 5242

View attachment 5243

View attachment 5244

Attaching the mount to the radio appears straight forward and the picture below should help illustration the two attachment points on each side.

View attachment 5245

The radio also came with a mic holder. That will be attached to the dash later.

Hope this has been helpful. Feel free to post any questions/concerns.
Does that require a monthly subscription to use? I saw your other post about having to get a permit to operate it. I apologise for being slightly off topic.

Rank VI

Oct 29, 2020

Does that require a monthly subscription to use? I saw your other post about having to get a permit to operate it. I apologise for being slightly off topic.

Nothing in my implementation plan has a monthly subscription. To legally operate a GMRS radio you will need to obtain a license. The license fee is $70.00 and good for 10 years.
Rydfree, Bronc96

Rank VI

Oct 29, 2020

There is no monthly subscription for GMRS.
2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
Sold - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole
Bronc96, Deano Bronc

Rank V

Mar 11, 2021

Hi gang,

I don't want to change the topic but you might want to seriously consider getting your ham ticket as well. GMRS is a great option and one that should be in all of our communications tool kits. However, there are not nearly as many GMRS repeaters as ham repeaters. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying one is better than the other. I'm saying you should have plenty of options available to you. Just a thought.
That's November Zero Papa Romeo Oscar
On order: Outer Banks 4-door, 2.7L, LUX, MIC Top, Cactus Grey, Towing, Advanced 4x4
D190065, BuzzyBud

Libations MOD

Mar 11, 2021

I'm saying you should have plenty of options available to you. Just a thought.
Agree there, did SAR for over a decade and many people rely on their cell phone to get them out of trouble.
WT HOSS 4dr 2.7 MIC Lux Tow
7/16/20 Res -- 1/22/21, 10/8/21 Order -- 3/24/22 VIN -- 5/9/22, 5/23/22, 5/16/22, 6/6/22, 6/17/22 Build 7/15/22 Delivered
Storm Factor - Never Stop Chasing! BrawnCo.Club 501c3 Pending
Rydfree, BuzzyBud

Rank V

Mar 11, 2021

Yup, that's why we need to continually preach alternate communications to the uninformed.
On order: Outer Banks 4-door, 2.7L, LUX, MIC Top, Cactus Grey, Towing, Advanced 4x4
D190065, katiehutson

Libations MOD

Mar 11, 2021

Yup, that's why we need to continually preach alternate communications to the uninformed.
Outside communication, everyone should also have the 10 essentials (as a min.) as well since most of us venture deeper into the woods
7/16/20 Res -- 1/22/21, 10/8/21 Order -- 3/24/22 VIN -- 5/9/22, 5/23/22, 5/16/22, 6/6/22, 6/17/22 Build 7/15/22 Delivered
BuzzyBud, katiehutson

Rank III

Mar 11, 2021

Outside communication, everyone should also have the 10 essentials (as a min.) as well since most of us venture deeper into the woods
Agree 100%. I keep a ""go bag" in all my vehicles.
Bronco-itis, Deano Bronc

Rank V

Mar 11, 2021

Amen. I'm hoping as this forum develops that the moderators will set up a communications forum where we can post more detailed information on these topics. I really hate muddying up a current topic such as this one that really should be talking about the rail mount. Sorry BuzzyBud.
Bronclahoma, Mal

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Mar 11, 2021

Amen. I'm hoping as this forum develops that the moderators will set up a communications forum where we can post more detailed information on these topics. I really hate muddying up a current topic such as this one that really should be talking about the rail mount. Sorry BuzzyBud.
Good suggestion, we'll look into that.
jmtseven, Mal

Trusted and Carefree

Mar 11, 2021

To bring us back to the topic, I was pretty sure I was going to mount my GMRS on the rail on the dash. But then I saw the AUX switch video. Now I think I might want to stick it behind the dash and just route the microphone. I got an Midland MXT 275 that is set up with the speaker in the mike to play about with while waiting for the truck. I had intended to step up to the 40watt radio for the bronco, but after playing with the 275 its 15 watts is plenty. It would be nice to keep the dash clear. Anyone else consider this route? there is a pretty trick install on the Midland site where they do something like this with a 4Runner and it looked nice.
2023 Wildtrak. "Sometimes you got to get lost, to get found" -J Bronco
BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Mar 11, 2021

To bring us back to the topic, I was pretty sure I was going to mount my GMRS on the rail on the dash. But then I saw the AUX switch video. Now I think I might want to stick it behind the dash and just route the microphone. I got an Midland MXT 275 that is set up with the speaker in the mike to play about with while waiting for the truck. I had intended to step up to the 40watt radio for the bronco, but after playing with the 275 its 15 watts is plenty. It would be nice to keep the dash clear. Anyone else consider this route? there is a pretty trick install on the Midland site where they do something like this with a 4Runner and it looked nice.

Sounds great!
You might like this thread as well. I bought one and it is ready to be installed.

(3) Magnetic Mic - Stay Focused | Bronco Nation Forum (thebronconation.com)
Mal

Rank VI

Mar 11, 2021

Mounting a scout scope on my rail.
2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
Sold - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole
BuzzyBud, Mal

Trusted and Carefree

Mar 11, 2021

Sounds great!
You might like this thread as well. I bought one and it is ready to be installed.

I saw that thread.

Here is the link to the Midland install I was talking about. https://midlandusa.com/mxt275-custom-gmrs-radio-installation/

They use an extender cable and put a socket in the dash for the mic. I think this is what Im going to do. Just need to live with the truck for a while to figure out where it needs to go. I like being able to unplug the mic and stow it when Im not using it.
2023 Wildtrak. "Sometimes you got to get lost, to get found" -J Bronco
ResidualGenius, BuzzyBud

Rank IV

Apr 02, 2021

Sounds great!

I like the idea of hiding the unit and just having the mic exposed but wouldn't you need to have some airflow around it, even natural convection or is there enough even being mounted in the glove box?
BuzzyBud

Libations MOD

Apr 02, 2021

I like the idea of hiding the unit and just having the mic exposed but wouldn't you need to have some airflow around it, even natural convection or is there enough even being mounted in the glove box?
You're fine in there, they don't build up much heat at all. Another spot could be under the seat if you don't have the washout interior. I've used both spots in previous vehicles and are great
BuzzyBud, Mike Hancho