Are Vinyl Wrap Wheels Worth It?

Soupcook
Apr 14, 2021

Rank VI

Apr 14, 2021

I ordered an OBX in Rapid Red and when I saw the Ford build with the bronze wheels and a Rapid Red beauty ring, I wanted them. But, it will be expensive to purchase those wheels. Is it worth it to vinyl wrap the Ford beadlock capable wheels? How expensive is the process to complete 5 wheels? What are the downsides? Thanks in advance.
7/14: Outer Banks, Eruption Green, Lux Package, 2.7 Eco, Sasquatch Package, Roof Rack, Towing Package, HD Modular front bumper, AUX switches
Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2021

Rank VI

Apr 15, 2021

Are you wanting to keep the original color? If not, you could always powdercoat. Many people recommend plastidip, but I'm not sure they come in those colors.
Raptor w/ lux package, orange belts. Code Orange.
BN #306
Soupcook, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Apr 15, 2021

Are you wanting to keep the original color? If not, you could always powdercoat. Many people recommend plastidip, but I'm not sure they come in those colors.
I want to go towards a bronze/gold color on the wheels (like the Ford Performance Bronco). I hadn't thought of powder coating them.
7/14: Outer Banks, Eruption Green, Lux Package, 2.7 Eco, Sasquatch Package, Roof Rack, Towing Package, HD Modular front bumper, AUX switches
Speed Devil

Your unofficial Favorite Author

Apr 16, 2021

Powdercoating is definitely cheaper than new rims, and it'll definitely be worth it.

Just gotta find a shop that can do the rims and calipers at the same time, I could trollingly ask them to do it for me
2dr Badlands 2.3 Manual w/Mid, Rapid Red
My blog, Mfcomics.net, my stories: https://payhip.com/MFComics
Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Apr 17, 2021

Powder coating sounds like a more durable option.
Deano Bronc, Speed Devil

Apr 17, 2021

Powder coating sounds like a more durable option.

Especially with off-roading. Could possibly get them ceramic coated as well, so they stay clean and resist mild scratches better
Soupcook

Rank VI

Apr 17, 2021

Vinyl wrapping a wheel? Is that a thing? Seems like it would be very difficult to do and would not be very durable.

Hydro-dipping wheels is s thing and seems to work well. Mainly for images or for a carbon fiber look but no reason you could not hydro-dip a solid bronze color. I have no idea what the cost comparison is to powder coating.

2022 Bronco BadSquatch, 1974 Bronco Ranger, 1976 Bronco Crawler, 1978 Bronco Custom
Soupcook, 14U

Rank VI

Apr 18, 2021

Vinyl wrapping a wheel? Is that a thing? Seems like it would be very difficult to do and would not be very durable.

Hydro-dipping wheels is s thing and seems to work well. Mainly for images or for a carbon fiber look but no reason you could not hydro-dip a solid bronze color. I have no idea what the cost comparison is to powder coating.

Google it...tons of info
gibsBRonCO

Rank VI

Apr 18, 2021

Google it...tons of info

Thanks. Learn something new everyday! Looks like it is a thing. I would still question how it would hold up to trail use.
2022 Bronco BadSquatch, 1974 Bronco Ranger, 1976 Bronco Crawler, 1978 Bronco Custom
Soupcook, Deano Bronc

Apr 18, 2021

Hydrodip vs Powder coating

Basically it's cost and customization for a TLDR; Hydro is 100% more expensive but you get stuff like this:
1618775619025.png1618775545605.png1618775582302.png (Anything you want)

While powdercoating is cheaper and more durable, but then you're stuck with solid colors. That said, Mr. White there wants to Bronze rims like I do, so imo, best to click this link here and hit one of these shops up
NurseDan, Soupcook

Rank VI

Apr 19, 2021

Hydrodip vs Powder coating

Basically it's cost and customization for a TLDR; Hydro is 100% more expensive but you get stuff like this:
View attachment 11731View attachment 11729View attachment 11730 (Anything you want)

While powdercoating is cheaper and more durable, but then you're stuck with solid colors. That said, Mr. White there wants to Bronze rims like I do, so imo, best to click this link here and hit one of these shops up
Thanks! Great link, too. I thought there was only one powder coating place near me.
Speed Devil

Apr 27, 2021

Turns out the shop that did my Rocklights also does Powdercoating as well

Looks like my babies gonna have a busy day shortly after she arrives between the coating, lights, pod fogs and tint
Soupcook, Deano Bronc