Any dealbreakers on Gen 4 vehicles?

Commodore
Oct 23, 2020

Rank VI

Oct 23, 2020

I know rust is awful hard to repair and it’s better to start with a nice body. But if they are bringing big bucks these days, I want to know what else to avoid. Thanks
Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2020

Rank V

Oct 26, 2020

Make sure the rear window goes up and smoothly with both the switch inside and the key in the tailgate. The '88-only hubs/rotor assembly isn't as desirable as the other years. I'd stick with a fuel-injected model. Double check all the bushings in the front end - lots of opportunities for clunks and weird handling characteristics if they're worn out.
WreckItRalph, BroncoMom

Rank 0

Nov 27, 2020

Make sure the rear window goes up and smoothly with both the switch inside and the key in the tailgate. The '88-only hubs/rotor assembly isn't as desirable as the other years. I'd stick with a fuel-injected model. Double check all the bushings in the front end - lots of opportunities for clunks and weird handling characteristics if they're worn out.
Is the rear window motor difficult to replace?
Commodore

Rank 0

Nov 30, 2020

Replacing the rear motor is a bit of a job but if you are mechanical it is not bad. I had to access mine with the window up and climbed in the back. Usually the motor is ok it is gear cog mechanism that goes out. There are some great Utube videos.
Commodore