Another Test Drive 2.3 Manual Black Diamond

Flourman
Jul 28, 2021

Rank VI

Jul 28, 2021

Barbee’s Freeway Ford in Denver got their demo unit last Friday and I got to get in for a test drive today. I’d already did a Bronco ride along in Moab so I more or less knew what the interior was like but wanted to give it a try.

This Black Diamond was a 4-door with the 2.3 and manual with MGV and a pretty basic options package. It was about 100 degrees today and I drove it around with the rear windows removed on the top.

Pros:
  • The cockpit layout, feel and visibility is amazing. It doesn’t feel cramped like a Jeep and it doesn’t feel like the dash is taking over like a 4-runner
  • MGV felt great. A little sweaty but it was 100 out
  • The AC is amazing. I was able to keep comfortable at about mid fan speed on the AC WITH part of the top off!
  • The road noise is extremely low. Even with part of the top off, it still seemed quieter than new Jeeps (I regularly rent Jeeps for work travel) with hard tops and soft tops
  • The motor feels great, after about 2500 rpm
  • Shifts are smooth and quick
  • Clutch feels very good
Cons:
  • The 2.3 seems pretty anemic below 2500rpm. I had figured this from looking at ranger dyno charts. Merging and changing lanes in street traffic took a bit of getting used to. There is just no “go” below 2500rpm
  • I was rowing gears to keep the motor where it felt “good”. Granted, this is no sports car and I was test driving in rush hour.
  • With the short gears, the motor revv’s quick. I was into the rev limited a couple times on accident. This one had the 4.46 rear end
  • The dash vents near the grab handles you kinda have to wiggle your hand in there to adjust them.
  • Backup camera resolution seemed pretty low. My 2017 F150 has better resolution. It seemed a lower quality than the Badlands we did a ride along in.
I’m glad we switched to the 2.7 and Auto. We had planned on a Badlands 2.3 with a manual but we wanted trail turn assist. If I was changing to an auto, I was getting the 2.7. The 2.3 and manual are likely superb on the trail but for city driving, it just doesn’t seem at home. The handling and ride and superb. Much better than my F150 and E-rated tires with 70psi….

Crawler gear is no joke. When I got back to the dealer lot, I tried to stall it in 2H, Crawler and holding the brake. It will overpower quite a bit of brake there. I put it in 4L and then tried Crawler and it came super close to overpowering the brakes. Granted this was on pavement but the gear reduction is super nice. I can see using 1-2 on most trails in low range and then crawler when it gets really tough.

The fuel economy gauge showed 21mpg and it had a shade over 500 miles on it already. F7B59F2E-0B3B-4507-ACB6-268FF70E9BB6.jpeg

I am even more pumped for my Bronco to come in and super glad we switched to the 2.7. The 2.3 and manual is definitely for a very specific crowd, which I thought I was, but I guess not. Ford knocked this thing out of the park!
Speed Devil, bdawson24
Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2021

Rank V

Jul 28, 2021

Great info! Thanks for putting this out there for us! Solidifies some choices I made on my build.
Badlands 2dr, Sas, 2.7, Lux, Erupt Grn, Res 8/27/20, MY21-1/29/21
MY22-10/21/21, Sch 8/22/22, Blt 8/29/22, Ship 9/1/22, Del 9/16/22
Flourman

Rank VI

Jul 28, 2021

Great info! Thanks for putting this out there for us! Solidifies some choices I made on my build.
Dang! My build is almost exactly like your with the exception of the sqautch!
Steve777468

Rank V

Jul 28, 2021

This (and all the other reviews) confirms my choice of the 2.3 and manual. I've been driving sticks for all my life, have 4 manuals right now (Mazda 3, Miata and 2 motorcycles). So I'm used to downshifting when I need more revs and power. It's not a V8, I'm sorry to say, which pulls from low revs like my 2002 F-150. Maybe one day they'll put a V8 in the Bronco, and all this engine angst will cease.

Rank VI

Jul 28, 2021

Barbee’s Freeway Ford in Denver got their demo unit last Friday and I got to get in for a test drive today. I’d already did a Bronco ride along in Moab so I more or less knew what the interior was like but wanted to give it a try.

This Black Diamond was a 4-door with the 2.3 and manual with MGV and a pretty basic options package. It was about 100 degrees today and I drove it around with the rear windows removed on the top.

Pros:
  • The cockpit layout, feel and visibility is amazing. It doesn’t feel cramped like a Jeep and it doesn’t feel like the dash is taking over like a 4-runner
  • MGV felt great. A little sweaty but it was 100 out
  • The AC is amazing. I was able to keep comfortable at about mid fan speed on the AC WITH part of the top off!
  • The road noise is extremely low. Even with part of the top off, it still seemed quieter than new Jeeps (I regularly rent Jeeps for work travel) with hard tops and soft tops
  • The motor feels great, after about 2500 rpm
  • Shifts are smooth and quick
  • Clutch feels very good
Cons:
  • The 2.3 seems pretty anemic below 2500rpm. I had figured this from looking at ranger dyno charts. Merging and changing lanes in street traffic took a bit of getting used to. There is just no “go” below 2500rpm
  • I was rowing gears to keep the motor where it felt “good”. Granted, this is no sports car and I was test driving in rush hour.
  • With the short gears, the motor revv’s quick. I was into the rev limited a couple times on accident. This one had the 4.46 rear end
  • The dash vents near the grab handles you kinda have to wiggle your hand in there to adjust them.
  • Backup camera resolution seemed pretty low. My 2017 F150 has better resolution. It seemed a lower quality than the Badlands we did a ride along in.
I’m glad we switched to the 2.7 and Auto. We had planned on a Badlands 2.3 with a manual but we wanted trail turn assist. If I was changing to an auto, I was getting the 2.7. The 2.3 and manual are likely superb on the trail but for city driving, it just doesn’t seem at home. The handling and ride and superb. Much better than my F150 and E-rated tires with 70psi….

Crawler gear is no joke. When I got back to the dealer lot, I tried to stall it in 2H, Crawler and holding the brake. It will overpower quite a bit of brake there. I put it in 4L and then tried Crawler and it came super close to overpowering the brakes. Granted this was on pavement but the gear reduction is super nice. I can see using 1-2 on most trails in low range and then crawler when it gets really tough.

The fuel economy gauge showed 21mpg and it had a shade over 500 miles on it already. View attachment 16114

I am even more pumped for my Bronco to come in and super glad we switched to the 2.7. The 2.3 and manual is definitely for a very specific crowd, which I thought I was, but I guess not. Ford knocked this thing out of the park!
Thanks for this. It's really helpful!!
Bronco Nation Member #0000
Instagram: bdawson24
Flourman

Rank VI

Jul 28, 2021

This (and all the other reviews) confirms my choice of the 2.3 and manual. I've been driving sticks for all my life, have 4 manuals right now (Mazda 3, Miata and 2 motorcycles). So I'm used to downshifting when I need more revs and power. It's not a V8, I'm sorry to say, which pulls from low revs like my 2002 F-150. Maybe one day they'll put a V8 in the Bronco, and all this engine angst will cease.

As have I with most being straight sixes with a wide range transmissions (Ford 300 and AMC 4.2, T18’s on both) and the some ZF 5’s with a 2.5 Probe and 5-speed and a 2.0 bug with a 5-speed thrown in plus riding a 2-stroke dirt bike all the time. No stranger to shifting gears.

If you are an absolute manual lover, then you probably won’t mind and will get used to it real quick. That dead feeling from idle to 2500rpm was odd. I started to slip the clutch a bit more (like you would on a 2-stroke dirt bike) to get into some boost and that helped. It does make me wonder if downshifting will be needed on long, gradual hills where the motor is out of boost to get fuel Econ’s up.
bdawson24

Your unofficial Favorite Author

Jul 28, 2021

Mods and tunes can help with the gutlessness, so not a concern, and as long as the few times bouncing off the limiter dont reveal the 7spd to be a glass cannon, it'll be fine.

Rowing is to be expected with the gearing, only thing Im iffy about is the Camera resolution, but AM can fix anything.

The rest im happy about, and glad you're happy with your decision as well bro. As for me, even more jonesin' for my 2dr Badass to be built in 2 weeks
2dr Badlands 2.3 Manual w/Mid, Rapid Red
My blog, Mfcomics.net, my stories: https://payhip.com/MFComics
Deano Bronc, Flourman

Rank V

Jul 28, 2021

I will admit my old 1995 4runner needed more power. On some Rocky Mountain passes I had to downshift from 5th to 4th, and keep the revs up. But it was what, 1/2 the horsepower of the Bronco with the 2.3? I also hate turbos, and wish it didn't require one. I want a low reving power curve. It's funny, but everything I read about the 2.3 liter said that engine is made for making power at medium low revs. That they're not like the turbos of old, with no power until you get a sudden rush at over 4500 RPM. We shall see....I haven't driven one. On the off chance I don't like the power level of the 2.3, I'll just keep it 3-4 years and trade up when the value is still there, rather than keep it 10-15 years like I do most of my vehicles.

But again, I'm used to keeping the revs up in 4 cylinders, I drive a 1979 Honda CB750. You can burble along in top gear and it's quiet and smooth and efficient. But if you need to pass or get some power, you downshift quickly. My Mazda 3 and Miata (non turbos) are the same. 4-bangers in general are not "step on it from idle" type of power bands.
Flourman, Deano Bronc