Aftermarket Onboard Air Compressor Ideas

BuzzyBud
Oct 14, 2020

Rank VI

Oct 14, 2020

Like many potential Bronco owners, I plan to purchase the 2.7L engine. I expect the engine compartment to be tight based on the pictures I have seen. Ideally, I would be seeking an aftermarket ARB air compressor. Although many owners of other vehicles end up installing them in the engine compartment, I may be going the route of an under seat install and saving any engine compartment space for a potential axillary battery. A buddy installed his ARB using the TeraFlex mount kit on his Jeep. Over time I expect TeraFlex to develop a Bronco kit and video taking into consideration any special adaptions to accommodate the under-seat heat vent. See reference links below.

https://teraflex.com/shop_items/jk-arb-compressor-under-seat-mounting-kit
Shadowblade, Georgedroukas
Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2020

RedNexican X Apalacian American: Goofyness!

Oct 14, 2020

I need a truck in my hands before I can tackle this.

L.R.
the poacher, Rhiostatic

Rank V

Oct 14, 2020

You can also get winches that have them.
Bronc96

Rank VI

Oct 14, 2020

Wonder how much room there will be under the seat with the power seat option? Agree, need a vehicle in the driveway to make some of these decisions.
Ordered: 4-Door First Edition - Rapid Red - Black Seats - MIC Top - Build Date: 10/25
In Garage: ‘62 Red Vette - ‘07 Black Shelby Ragtop - ‘21 F150 Platinum PowerBoost - Rapid Red
Broncofly, Bronc96

Rank VI

Oct 14, 2020

Wonder how much room there will be under the seat with the power seat option? Agree, need a vehicle in the driveway to make some of these decisions.

The buddy who installed his under the passenger seat had to use spacers to raise the seat up. "Where there is a will there is a way."
the poacher, Bronc96

Rank VI

Oct 14, 2020

Like many potential Bronco owners, I plan to purchase the 2.7L engine. I expect the engine compartment to be tight based on the pictures I have seen. Ideally, I would be seeking an aftermarket ARB air compressor. Although many owners of other vehicles end up installing them in the engine compartment, I may be going the route of an under seat install and saving any engine compartment space for a potential axillary battery. A buddy installed his ARB using the TeraFlex mount kit on his Jeep. Over time I expect TeraFlex to develop a Bronco kit and video taking into consideration any special adaptions to accommodate the under-seat heat vent. See reference links below.

https://teraflex.com/shop_items/jk-arb-compressor-under-seat-mounting-kit

I like this

I used a PowerTank in my '68. Some of the guys I bashed around with would get AC compressors but then, that was in the Gen 1 Broncos. Lot's of room, options, and hacking goin on in them circles.
2021 BadSquatch, 4DR, 2.7/AT, High Package, Oxford White
Bronc96, LoneRanger

Rank VI

Oct 18, 2020

I would love to see Ford include this and an aux battery in one of the builds to give ideas. I would also agree is a likely accessory available in the list of "200 AM options" .
Badlands, 2 door, 2.3L, Manual, High, Non-SAS, Tow Package, Roof Rails, MIC, Velocity Blue
Bronco V-8

Rank V

Oct 18, 2020

That's assuming it's not one of the 200 accessories.
I think they'll be offering the ARB single compressor from Ford Performance. It comes in a case, so I'm not sure if there'll be an install option.
BuzzyBud, Deano Bronc

Rank V

Oct 18, 2020

That's a standard ARB kit. It's nice, but it still requires you to have it sitting in the back, pull it out and connect it to the battery when you want to use it. I got spoiled with my on-board air. Pull up at the end of the trail, flip a switch and fill my tires. I often had a tire filled before other people with me had their compressors hooked up.

I'm hoping they have an under hood dual ARB compressor and mount, DIO.
I realize all that. I'm just saying that is most likely what they're offering: portable air, not on-board. That would be really great if they did offer on-board air. But I doubt they will.
LoneRanger, Bronc96

Rank V

Oct 21, 2020

That's a standard ARB kit. It's nice, but it still requires you to have it sitting in the back, pull it out and connect it to the battery when you want to use it. I got spoiled with my on-board air. Pull up at the end of the trail, flip a switch and fill my tires. I often had a tire filled before other people with me had their compressors hooked up.

I'm hoping they have an under hood dual ARB compressor and mount, DIO.
I plan on getting the dual compressor and a small tank. Figure the tank will go under the bronco, but I want the compressor mounted up higher on the firewall.
Bronc96, Deano Bronc

Rank IV

Oct 21, 2020

You should be able to mount it the cargo area, inside along the side.
Bronc96, BuzzyBud

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Oct 27, 2020

Great ideas. I definitely need something like this. I used one of those little cheap ones that plug into the 9V power port to air up after the SuperCel West, and it took me over an hour.
bdawson24, Bronc96

Rank V

May 09, 2022

I recently watched a Jeep video and they had the compressor in the rear tire mount and had the on/off switch and air port attached to the inner tailgate. Any issues with the setup? If not it would be nice to convert the vented plastic to a vented door and reses the on/off switch, gage and air port.

1652121136643.png
BN M#: 100503
2 DR Badlands Cyber Orange, Sasquatch, Lux, 2.7
Gurtrude The Short Bus | Get Er Done Dirty Gurty
LoneRanger

May 09, 2022

But can you turn it into an ejector seat?
2022 Big Bend, 4 door, Cactus Grey, on 285/70/17 KO2s

Libations MOD

May 09, 2022

I recently watched a Jeep video and they had the compressor in the rear tire mount and had the on/off switch and air port attached to the inner tailgate. Any issues with the setup? If not it would be nice to convert the vented plastic to a vented door and reses the on/off switch, gage and air port.

View attachment 35502
Open the beer geesh!!
WT HOSS 4dr 2.7 MIC Lux Tow
7/16/20 Res -- 1/22/21, 10/8/21 Order -- 3/24/22 VIN -- 5/9/22, 5/23/22, 5/16/22, 6/6/22, 6/17/22 Build 7/15/22 Delivered
Storm Factor - Never Stop Chasing! BrawnCo.Club 501c3 Pending
Mal

Trusted and Carefree

May 09, 2022

Open the beer geesh!!
You need that beer, after you eat that sushi. Thats not something I traditionally bring camping...
2023 Wildtrak. "Sometimes you got to get lost, to get found" -J Bronco
ResidualGenius, LoneRanger

Libations MOD

May 09, 2022

You need that beer, after you eat that sushi. Thats not something I traditionally bring camping...
Gonna need more than just a beer after that
WT HOSS 4dr 2.7 MIC Lux Tow
7/16/20 Res -- 1/22/21, 10/8/21 Order -- 3/24/22 VIN -- 5/9/22, 5/23/22, 5/16/22, 6/6/22, 6/17/22 Build 7/15/22 Delivered
Storm Factor - Never Stop Chasing! BrawnCo.Club 501c3 Pending
Mal

Rank V

May 09, 2022

1652129648740.pngThis will fit under the seat.
BostonBadlands, radar3d

RedNexican X Apalacian American: Goofyness!

May 10, 2022

Think outside the box with regards to mounting these things.

L.R.

Rank VI

May 10, 2022

My step dad installed a compressor from some plane in the trunk of his 65 Malibu and had a galvanized tube wrapped in Fiberglass as the tank.

I’m thinking of using an old fire extinguisher as an air tank for my ARB compressor which is installed under the hood.

Still looking for a good tank placement.
Deano Bronc