Why do you want a NEW Bronco? Why not buy a older one from the 80s,90s?

horseofcourse
Sep 10, 2020

Rank 0

Sep 10, 2020

I want the new one because well it's new but the attraction to me is the top and doors come off, more modern tech.
Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2020

cant_hold_my_horses

Sep 10, 2020

I want the new one because well it's new but the attraction to me is the top and doors come off, more modern tech.

I actually want an EB, but for the condition I want it in (full out resto-mod), I might as well buy a new one. It seems to me that the price point will be similar or less for a new bronco and there will be warranties and cool things that go along with it. As an added bonus - I get to build it exactly the way I want it with whatever bells n' whistles I need for a daily driver/overland beast.
brnc_o_vrlndr, tlowell01

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Sep 10, 2020

Can't find an old one that isn't rusted out or less than 40 k.

The ones that are inexpensive need a ton of work.I don't want the F-150 size.
brnc_o_vrlndr, tlowell01

Rank VI

Sep 12, 2020

I’ve had an 89 and a 95. Loved them both but they are full-size. I already have an F150 so no real need for a full size. I also already have a POS Jeep YJ to keep my hands occupied. I don’t need to be fixing another vehicle.
If I were to get an old one, it would be a 78/79 resto- mod. I love dent side fords.
tlowell01

Standing Grumpy Face

Sep 12, 2020

If I was looking for a second vehicle/toy and was looking to spend that amount I'd go for a Gen 1 restomod. But since this will be my daily as well as my fun vehicle I want some creature comforts, full reliability and a warranty. Maybe some day I'll take on a roller and make it my own.
tlowell01, Reidski29

Rank VI

Sep 12, 2020

I want something with all the new technology and the retro look. That is the best of both worlds for me.
2021 4-door; Adv. 4x4; 2.3L; 10spd Auto; Area 51; Black Diamond; Mid pkg; door bags.
tlowell01, Bronco V-8

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Sep 12, 2020

I want something with all the new technology and the retro look. That is the best of both worlds for me.
When I found out they were doing another Bronco I put off my plans on getting a Bronco and rebuilding it.You end up spending the same or more money and have to to do all the work.
The only thing I miss is the V-8.
Cool_ron, tlowell01
SandboxGeneral

Sep 12, 2020

Here is why I want the new Bronco.

Almost every vehicle out there, within reasonable price anyhow, is boring to me. I'm disappointed in Ford for killing off their entire sedan lineups between Ford and Lincoln. I like trucks and owned a Ranger (2001) and two F-150's. But damn, they're expensive anymore. I've had a Fusion and a Focus and right now I have an MKZ.

When I look at these crossovers on the market, from all manufacturers, all I see are station wagons with lift kits on them. Some are classified as SUV's because (I guess) they're built as body-on-frame, but they still look and function like almost every other boring ass vehicle on the road. Especially when I look at GM's crossover/SUV lineup, they all look the same to me. Just some are a tiny bit larger or smaller than their other offerings. How many different models do they really need anyhow?

I looked at a Mustang, Camaro, Charger, Corvette, and they're okay and I love a performance car! But I'm a one vehicle driver and I live in Michigan where it snows. So those cars aren't ideal for my situation. I took an EcoBoost Mustang out for a test drive. It was a very base model and I was not impressed with the tires it came with and did not like at all the pumped in over the speakers engine sound. That was awful.

I'm also not much into import brands. I'm a Ford guy because my father worked for the company for 31 years, and I get the A/Z Plan because of that. I'm open to owning a GM or Chrysler product since they're American companies (I don't wish to debate Fiat-Chrysler's ownership....). Plus I live in and am from Michigan, not far from Detroit, so that makes me a Big 3 guy through and through.

But as I said, almost everything on the road these days bores me to death.

Prior to the Bronco being announced, I was looking for what my next vehicle would be since my lease is up in July 2021. I went for test drives of a Cadillac CT5 or something or other (I can't figure out their models and trim levels), I drove a Lincoln Continental, that Mustang I mentioned and had plans to drive the new Ranger and an F-150. My last F-150 was a 2003 and I loved it for 11 years. The Cadillac I drove was okay, but the GM electronic shifter thing was weird and odd to figure out. The looks were okay, but didn't blow me away. I'm in a Lincoln MKZ right now and I love that car a lot, except I regret not going with the 3.0L TT V6. Though the 2.0L engine is quite peppy in its own right. When I drove the Continental I was impressed. It was almost fully loaded and I love big luxury boats like that. But it's not sporty and that's perfect because a Continental isn't supposed to be. My MKZ is sporty, but it's also damn comfortable.

What my plan was, prior to the Bronco announcement, was to look for a 3.0L MKZ on a dealer lot if I could find one, since Ford/Lincoln has officially discontinued it. Second, I was going to find a nice Continental on a dealer lot that I liked, since again, Ford/Lincoln has officially announced its discontinuation. That was my plan. (Who knows, maybe down the road I'll look for a clean used MKZ with the 3.0L or a Continental and scoop it up for cheap).

So why the Bronco?

I watched the announcement video and at first I wasn't blown away. I wasn't impressed with what Ford showed at first and it didn't make me want to look at it further. But after two weeks from the announcement, I kept looking at Lincolns, F-150's and Rangers on the Ford/Lincoln websites. I had also stumbled upon a YouTube channel called Matt's Off Road Recovery where this guy, Matt, out in Utah uses a 2001 Jeep Cherokee to recover people who get stuck out in the sand dunes or up in the mountains. It's a fun and interesting channel to watch and I think watching him with his Jeep planted a seed for trucks again and for off roading.

So one day, July 29th and 30th, I clicked over on the Bronco on Ford's website to look at it again. After watching a lot of the Matt's Off Road Recovery videos and the beautiful locations he has, as well as finding a few other off roading channels out west, the Bronco started to appeal to me. So when I woke up on July 30th, before going into work, I said to myself WTH, and plopped down my $100 reservation fee. Re-watching the Bronco video's and reading everything about it that was known at the time, I started to get excited about it and realized this is a true SUV and not one of those boring ass crossover's and alleged SUV's I see everywhere. No, the Bronco has something different about it. It's sexy and mean looking at the same time and it's also very capable for all conditions and purposes. I found it to be, not boring.

Now don't misunderstand my feelings toward the boring crossovers and "SUV's" out there. I understand that they're practical and useful for many people and serve a purpose. But they're not for me. I'm a single guy with no kids and so I don't need a station wagon with a lift kit to go to town or a soccer game.

I plan on trips now once I get a Bronco. I plan on some boondocking too. These are things I've not done since I was on active duty and I think doing them again, as a civilian now, might actually be fun. I'll be able to get out of the house and do more than just going to work and coming home, going to work and coming home.

The Bronco is not boring and that's why I want one.
Cool_ron, tlowell01

Rank IV

Sep 12, 2020

2020 technology is light-year ahead of anything from the 80s or 90s. That alone is worth it.

Rank V

Sep 12, 2020

The biggest reason I'm wanting the new Bronco is because I've been dreaming about getting a one for a long time. I originally had been hunting down an '85 Bronco, but, any I came across nearby were complete rust buckets and people were asking brand new prices for them, so, I kept searching and holding out to see if Ford was ever going to bring it back.

Caught the reveal of new Bronco, instantly fell in love with it and told my Wife that I gave myself two options: Either get a rust bucket project Bronco and put a lot of money into fully restoring it, or, spend the same amount to spring for modern amenities and safety features in the new Bronco....One reservation later, and here I am! Impatiently waiting, but, still extremely excited to finally own one.
2dr Badlands, Velocity Blue, Lux Package, Squatch
brnc_o_vrlndr, Cool_ron

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Sep 12, 2020

Here is why I want the new Bronco.

Almost every vehicle out there, within reasonable price anyhow, is boring to me. I'm disappointed in Ford for killing off their entire sedan lineups between Ford and Lincoln. I like trucks and owned a Ranger (2001) and two F-150's. But damn, they're expensive anymore. I've had a Fusion and a Focus and right now I have an MKZ.

When I look at these crossovers on the market, from all manufacturers, all I see are station wagons with lift kits on them. Some are classified as SUV's because (I guess) they're built as body-on-frame, but they still look and function like almost every other boring ass vehicle on the road. Especially when I look at GM's crossover/SUV lineup, they all look the same to me. Just some are a tiny bit larger or smaller than their other offerings. How many different models do they really need anyhow?

I looked at a Mustang, Camaro, Charger, Corvette, and they're okay and I love a performance car! But I'm a one vehicle driver and I live in Michigan where it snows. So those cars aren't ideal for my situation.
I took an EcoBoost Mustang out for a test drive. It was a very base model and I was not impressed with the tires it came with and did not like at all the pumped in over the speakers engine sound. That was awful.

I'm also not much into import brands.
I'm a Ford guy because my father worked for the company for 31 years, and I get the A/Z Plan because of that. I'm open to owning a GM or Chrysler product since they're American companies (I don't wish to debate Fiat-Chrysler's ownership....). Plus I live in and am from Michigan, not far from Detroit, so that makes me a Big 3 guy through and through.

But as I said, almost everything on the road these days bores me to death.

Prior to the Bronco being announced, I was looking for what my next vehicle would be since my lease is up in July 2021. I went for test drives of a Cadillac CT5 or something or other (I can't figure out their models and trim levels), I drove a Lincoln Continental, that Mustang I mentioned and had plans to drive the new Ranger and an F-150. My last F-150 was a 2003 and I loved it for 11 years. The Cadillac I drove was okay, but the GM electronic shifter thing was weird and odd to figure out. The looks were okay, but didn't blow me away. I'm in a Lincoln MKZ right now and I love that car a lot, except I regret not going with the 3.0L TT V6. Though the 2.0L engine is quite peppy in its own right. When I drove the Continental I was impressed. It was almost fully loaded and I love big luxury boats like that. But it's not sporty and that's perfect because a Continental isn't supposed to be. My MKZ is sporty, but it's also damn comfortable.

What my plan was, prior to the Bronco announcement, was to look for a 3.0L MKZ on a dealer lot if I could find one, since Ford/Lincoln has officially discontinued it. Second, I was going to find a nice Continental on a dealer lot that I liked, since again, Ford/Lincoln has officially announced its discontinuation. That was my plan. (Who knows, maybe down the road I'll look for a clean used MKZ with the 3.0L or a Continental and scoop it up for cheap).

So why the Bronco?

I watched the announcement video and at first I wasn't blown away. I wasn't impressed with what Ford showed at first and it didn't make me want to look at it further. But after two weeks from the announcement, I kept looking at Lincolns, F-150's and Rangers on the Ford/Lincoln websites. I had also stumbled upon a YouTube channel called Matt's Off Road Recovery where this guy, Matt, out in Utah uses a 2001 Jeep Cherokee to recover people who get stuck out in the sand dunes or up in the mountains. It's a fun and interesting channel to watch and I think watching him with his Jeep planted a seed for trucks again and for off roading.

So one day, July 29th and 30th, I clicked over on the Bronco on Ford's website to look at it again. After watching a lot of the Matt's Off Road Recovery videos and the beautiful locations he has, as well as finding a few other off roading channels out west, the Bronco started to appeal to me. So when I woke up on July 30th, before going into work, I said to myself WTH, and plopped down my $100 reservation fee. Re-watching the Bronco video's and reading everything about it that was known at the time, I started to get excited about it and realized this is a true SUV and not one of those boring ass crossover's and alleged SUV's I see everywhere. No, the Bronco has something different about it. It's sexy and mean looking at the same time and it's also very capable for all conditions and purposes. I found it to be, not boring.

Now don't misunderstand my feelings toward the boring crossovers and "SUV's" out there. I understand that they're practical and useful for many people and serve a purpose. But they're not for me. I'm a single guy with no kids and so I don't need a station wagon with a lift kit to go to town or a soccer game.

I plan on trips now once I get a Bronco. I plan on some boondocking too. These are things I've not done since I was on active duty and I think doing them again, as a civilian now, might actually be fun. I'll be able to get out of the house and do more than just going to work and coming home, going to work and coming home.

The Bronco is not boring and that's why I want one.

I agree with all your points. Ford dropping the sedans created a big problem for me.The SVT Fusion never came to fruition. Can't drive a Mustang in the snow, its expensive storing it for the winter. I really didn't want a truck: no manual trans ,don't like ANY of the SUV options out there. No offense but they are designed for woman, not men.
That left Jeep, which I looked at and just couldn't like.
Can't begin to tell you how enthused I was when I found out they were going to introduce another Bronco. Solves my vehicle choice problem.
tlowell01, Reldn
SandboxGeneral

Sep 12, 2020

The SVT Fusion never came to fruition.
Was that a thing a one time? Rumors of one? That would have interested me greatly had they made an SVT Fusion.
tlowell01

Wank ER

Sep 12, 2020

It's all about the chicks.
2021 FE Cactus Grey
Bronco V-8, BBNation

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Sep 12, 2020

Was that a thing a one time? Rumors of one? That would have interested me greatly had they made an SVT Fusion.
Was mostly talk around 2015.Had a 2000 SVT Contour Factory rated at 200 hp was a lie.
I would have bought a SVT Fusion

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Sep 12, 2020

It's all about the chicks.
Do you think the Bronco will be w chick magnet? I know they like Jeeps.

Wank ER

Sep 12, 2020

I wrote that tounge in cheeck, but Yes! For a good year I believe it will be a people magnet camping, at the beach, at the mall. Most of us in this chat have OD'ed or geeked out on all the info, but to the avgerage American this will be a head turner. It's a unique and pretty damn rugged looking new "toy. Most people I show a pic of the Bronc to drop a jaw.
2021 FE Cactus Grey
JFord
SandboxGeneral

Sep 12, 2020

Just depends on the type of girl. Not all of them are impressed with vehicles or off roading.

Rank VI

Sep 12, 2020

Growing up my parents had a 79 bronco. We used to go off-roading throughout Northern New Mexico with another family who had a full size Blazer. I developed a love for four wheeling you Just can’t do in a truck. I bought my own 79 Bronco planning to do a full resto-mod, but after raising two kids it still sits in the garage 20 years later. I have gotten spoiled with the tech and reliability of new vehicles. I finally finished paying for the kids’ college so I told the wife I was going to buy myself a “nasty” new vehicle. Nasty being something that was crazy fun to drive. Like I have said before, I was ready to pull the trigger on the Mustang Shelby GT 500. Realistically, it makes no sense as a daily driver so when the Bronco reveal was made public, it was a no brainer. My son has been begging me for the 79 so now he may get his wish, and I am less likely to end up dead or in jail.
Reldn, john seaman

Rank 0

Sep 14, 2020

I have a 1990 Bronco II. my dad left it to me just this month. It has 92,000 miles on it, it's a 5pd manual and is in really good shape besides a few rust spots. Oh and the gas gadge doesn't work so that's fun lol. I was planning to fully restore it, new everything, lift kit, etc. then I was going to buy a rebuilt 1979 full size Bronco with the V8, had 46,000 miles for $35,000. Then I saw the release of the new Bronco and thought, I could dump a ton of money into my 1990, buy a full size 79 or buy a new one that is new, which hopefully equals no problems, has modern tech and modern safety and the top and doors come off which is a HUGE draw to me and it's NOT a Jeep which I just can't like Jeeps, IDK why. I think jeeps are becoming girl vehicles. So I put my deposit down and reserved the 4 dr Bad lands with the V6 automatic.
Cool_ron

Rank VI

Sep 14, 2020

New Bronco ….. Turn key/warranty/reliability/ good for the market of people who love tough trucks... but can't turn wrenches.
Full Size Bronco ….. 8 CYLINDERS/ Reasonably priced/ easy to work on/ Plenty of parts
Early Bronco ….. JUST PLAIN BAD ASS/ nothing is cheap/ unless you are loaded, and a experienced restoration guru.... just buy the new one.

If you do not own a decent set of tools.... are scared to get dirty... dislike dirt and cut up knuckles... Please do not ever buy a vehicle over 10 years old..... no matter how badass it seems.
horseofcourse