Oil Gauge Jiggling after being replaced

1994BRNCLDY
Aug 28, 2020

Rank 0

Aug 28, 2020

Replaced the oil gauge about a year ago, it is now juggling during idling, I’m not too worried about it but was wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them! Any advice or comments are great, I know I have an oil leak at the oil pan but I read full on the dipstick when the engine is cool. I’m sure it’s becoming electrical. Thanks!
Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2020

Rank VI

Aug 31, 2020

I am unfamiliar with these bod styles but that being said I would check the wiring and how the wiring is run. Sounds to me like an electrical issue.
Build week of 7/26....still....no its 8/16 now

Rank 0

Aug 31, 2020

I am unfamiliar with these bod styles but that being said I would check the wiring and how the wiring is run. Sounds to me like an electrical issue.
That’s what I was thinking, going to check that next weekend when I have the chance. Wouldn’t be the first time I’ve had to rewrite something!! Thanks!

Rank VI

Aug 31, 2020

I replaced my stock gauge with an aftermarket gauge that actually has numbers. Ford stopped putting numbers on the oil pressure gauges.... and made them on/off "idiot light" switches after some "know it all" back yard mechanics started bringing back brand new vehicles because the oil pressure would fluctuate during operation. The gauges do not provide any actual information they either let you know there is some oil pressure or none at all. Steve83 on supermotors has a fix that will turn your stock gauge into an actual working oil pressure reader.... but that involves some internal correction to the gauge. I just went to home depot and bought some plumbing fixtures to tee off the factory sending unit and installed a after market gauge. That way I still have a functioning "idiot light" along with a gauge that displays actual pressure.

I've never been a fan of oil pressure gauges. They can show you when something is already failing.... but not a lot of preventive knowledge. Once the pressure drops you are probably screwed and have to compression check each cylinder anyway. The best gauges to monitor are temperature. I would start with an aftermarket temp gauge and a transmission temp gauge. These will save you thousands of dollars. Once the temp climbs... pull over and turn the engine off...… troubleshoot and repair before operating. HEAT KILLS

some informational reading
https://www.fullsizebronco.com/threads/1996-ford-bronco-oil-pressure-gauge-bouncing.471658/
1994BRNCLDY

Rank 0

Aug 31, 2020

I replaced my stock gauge with an aftermarket gauge that actually has numbers. Ford stopped putting numbers on the oil pressure gauges.... and made them on/off "idiot light" switches after some "know it all" back yard mechanics started bringing back brand new vehicles because the oil pressure would fluctuate during operation. The gauges do not provide any actual information they either let you know there is some oil pressure or none at all. Steve83 on supermotors has a fix that will turn your stock gauge into an actual working oil pressure reader.... but that involves some internal correction to the gauge. I just went to home depot and bought some plumbing fixtures to tee off the factory sending unit and installed a after market gauge. That way I still have a functioning "idiot light" along with a gauge that displays actual pressure.

I've never been a fan of oil pressure gauges. They can show you when something is already failing.... but not a lot of preventive knowledge. Once the pressure drops you are probably screwed and have to compression check each cylinder anyway. The best gauges to monitor are temperature. I would start with an aftermarket temp gauge and a transmission temp gauge. These will save you thousands of dollars. Once the temp climbs... pull over and turn the engine off...… troubleshoot and repair before operating. HEAT KILLS

some informational reading
https://www.fullsizebronco.com/threads/1996-ford-bronco-oil-pressure-gauge-bouncing.471658/
I remember having it fixed simply because I hated looking at it being broke. I’m more worried about it meaning there’s another electrical issue happening that I haven’t caught yet! I already have a leak at the oil pan so I know that the gauge wouldn’t be accurate even if it wasn’t an idiot gauge lol, thanks!