5.0 Coyote Engine

U13
May 23, 2020

Rank IV

May 23, 2020

The v6 eco boost is pretty sweet but I really like the idea of not having twin turbos to maintain and a manual.

Throw in an aluminum body and I think we would see 2021 Broncos on and off the road for decades.

One can dream...
Rusty Shackleford
Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2020

Rank 0

May 23, 2020

One can dream, or one can swap. Depending on cash flow that is...

Rank IV

May 23, 2020

One can dream, or one can swap. Depending on cash flow that is...
If I had 10 to 20 grand to swap out a perfectly good working engine on a $40,000 car I'm paying payments on... I definitely would be dreaming LOL
mike hancho III, Deano Bronc

Rank III

May 23, 2020

I would love to see a coyote engine in a Bronco!! That’s pure wetness right there
U13

Rank VI

May 24, 2020

I'm still dreaming of the Godzilla swap. That would be utterly badass.
If Found, Return to the Wild
Fordboi, Jimmy Dean

Standing Grumpy Face

May 24, 2020

Love that V8 rumble. But I'll be perfectly happy if they do put the 2.7l under the hood. Plenty of torque, towing capacity and damn good fuel economy. That's what I had in my F150 and loved it.

Rank IV

May 24, 2020

But isn't a real Bronco supposed to share the same heart as a Mustang or F-150?

And if I were to buy a Mustang or an F-150, you guessed it a 5.0 coyote would be in it.
KD6TAV

Rank V

May 24, 2020

Do not expect a V8 in the Bronco. You’re setting yourself up for disappointment if you do. If by some small % chance it does end up coming with one it will be an amazing surprise but that simply will not happen.
jinskeep, DustinD

Rank 0

May 24, 2020

Old trucks and cars for sure need that pure V8 sound. The bronco sounds great with it and would continue to sound amazing if it had one, but is that what’s really needed? Not saying again wouldn’t be cool, but is it needed? To sound cool is one thing but if the twin turbos best the V8 in torque, speed, mpg and say other advantages then why not have the twins?
Check out my instragram #KD6TAV or my YouTube KD6TAV

Standing Grumpy Face

May 24, 2020

Old trucks and cars for sure need that pure V8 sound. The bronco sounds great with it and would continue to sound amazing if it had one, but is that what’s really needed? Not saying again wouldn’t be cool, but is it needed? To sound cool is one thing but if the twin turbos best the V8 in torque, speed, mpg and say other advantages then why not have the twins?

People seem to be afraid of turbos. Especially naturally aspirated fans. That 2.7 is a beast. When I bought my F150, I test drove the 5.0 first and then the 2.7. The 2.7 won. Just had way more ass off the line. And to have that amount of power and torque in a full size truck, and still get 22/26 mpg, I can't wait to see what it would be like in the Bronco.
mike hancho III, jinskeep

Rank IV

May 24, 2020

Q
People seem to be afraid of turbos. Especially naturally aspirated fans. That 2.7 is a beast. When I bought my F150, I test drove the 5.0 first and then the 2.7. The 2.7 won. Just had way more ass off the line. And to have that amount of power and torque in a full size truck, and still get 22/26 mpg, I can't wait to see what it would be like in the Bronco.
From my understanding to hit those MPG numbers you would have to stay out of the Boost thus eliminating all that power and torque. But that's not the big deal for me, my gut tells me let the coyote would be cheaper to maintain and have a power curve that's more useful. Plus it just sounds cool and I don't mean just the rumble LOL

5.0 Bronco vs 2.7 Bronco...looks and sounds better in text to haha

With that said the two 2.7 and 2.3 will be better engines then jeep has to offer which might be all Ford cares about.

Standing Grumpy Face

May 24, 2020

Q

From my understanding to hit those MPG numbers you would have to stay out of the Boost thus eliminating all that power and torque. But that's not the big deal for me, my gut tells me let the coyote would be cheaper to maintain and have a power curve that's more useful. Plus it just sounds cool and I don't mean just the rumble LOL

5.0 Bronco vs 2.7 Bronco...looks and sounds better in text to haha

With that said the two 2.7 and 2.3 will be better engines then jeep has to offer which might be all Ford cares about.

Well the boost only kicks in when you really punch it. I'm not sure about all of the technical mumbo jumbo with the twin turbos. All I know is it works. I didn't baby it and I always got those type of numbers. Except with the a/c or heater running full blast.

And don't get me started on the Jeep engines. That 3.6 Pentastar is a slug. Had one in my Wrangler and have one now in my Grand Cherokee. Lousy torque and power and pretty crappy mileage. The 2.0 isn't much better except in the mileage category. If Jeep would drop something similar to one of the Ecoboost engines under the hood they would have a winner.

Rank III

May 25, 2020

One could dream but ford is killing all their n/a motors. The 5.0 will be axed from the f150 soon enough the 2.7 and 3.5 are killing it. The v8 will die with the mustang tho.
but the only 2 engines I see are the 2.3 and 2.7. Both are better than anything in this class.

the only thing I can see in the future is, hybrid, EV and Plug in versions.

Rank IV

May 25, 2020

One could dream but ford is killing all their n/a motors. The 5.0 will be axed from the f150 soon enough the 2.7 and 3.5 are killing it. The v8 will die with the mustang tho.
but the only 2 engines I see are the 2.3 and 2.7. Both are better than anything in this class.

the only thing I can see in the future is, hybrid, EV and Plug in versions.
I read somewhere they were drawing down production at the coyote plant and of course they're making huge Investments in electric so the writing's on the wall for the engine I've dreamed about forever. But I'll say this, I think you got it the other way around about the Mustang. When the V8 dies... so will the Mustang or at least its dna

Ok. I guess I'll settle for the 2.7 tt with a $3k maintenance at 150k miles...as long as the timing belt doesn't go at the same time I'll get to keep my my rig.

Maybe it's better just to get the 2.3 and they have the dealership do the engine tune. And if the Broncos aluminum it might be hundreds of pounds lighter than the Jeep making it pretty spry.

And whenever I speed past a sluggish Jeep instead of giving them a Jeep wave I'll use a reverse Bronco Force wave that says come over here and join the Bronco side haha
NickP, FirstOnRaceDay1

Rank 0

May 26, 2020

I have the 5.0 in my 2011 F-150. I debated between that or the Eco-Boost and since it was the first year of the EB, I went old-reliable. I now have 104,000 miles on it. Only needed to replace the thermostat/water pump. I get a combined 16.8 miles per gallon. I got it to tow a 22 foot trailer (4000 pounds). Pulling that think at sea level was awesome. Going up in the GA, Carolina, Tennessee mountains - not so much. I'm expecting the turbo to really help with higher elevation performance.

I keep checking up on the Ecoboost engines and they seem pretty solid. Technology has greatly advanced since the old turbos of the 80's and 90's.
Lance10322, FirstOnRaceDay1

Rank VI

May 26, 2020

I have the 5.0 in my 2011 F-150. I debated between that or the Eco-Boost and since it was the first year of the EB, I went old-reliable. I now have 104,000 miles on it. Only needed to replace the thermostat/water pump. I get a combined 16.8 miles per gallon. I got it to tow a 22 foot trailer (4000 pounds). Pulling that think at sea level was awesome. Going up in the GA, Carolina, Tennessee mountains - not so much. I'm expecting the turbo to really help with higher elevation performance.

I keep checking up on the Ecoboost engines and they seem pretty solid. Technology has greatly advanced since the old turbos of the 80's and 90's.

Sounds like you need a supercharger, ya know, for the mountain passes ;)
If Found, Return to the Wild
Fordboi, Tyrobronco

Trusted and Carefree

May 26, 2020

FWIW- Jeep has done very well with a straight six for a long time. Don't get me wrong, I think that the Coyote is one of the best V8s Ford ever built, but you don't generally need that for most off-road applications.

Just my $.02. I will now duck.
2023 Wildtrak. "Sometimes you got to get lost, to get found" -J Bronco

Rank IV

May 27, 2020

I've had both, currently a 3.5 Ecoboost and love it. You just have to do the maintenance, don't skip out on any maintenance.
Lance10322, FirstOnRaceDay1
CMar

May 28, 2020

I've had both, currently a 3.5 Ecoboost and love it. You just have to do the maintenance, don't skip out on any maintenance.
Is there separate maintenance required for the ecoboosts? I have had 3 turbo cars (1 from a swap, two stock) and only did the usual maintenance (oil change, spark plugs, air filters, etc.).
FirstOnRaceDay1

Rank III

May 28, 2020

Is there separate maintenance required for the ecoboosts? I have had 3 turbo cars (1 from a swap, two stock) and only did the usual maintenance (oil change, spark plugs, air filters, etc.).

highly recommend running injector cleaner and 91/93 every oil change to help keep the turbo clean. And keep the car running for a few seconds after driving to let the oil calm down.