72 Bronco BackPlate pads on Front

ArkBigfoot
Dec 10, 2020

Rank 0

Dec 10, 2020

I have a 72 Bronco 107,000 and was looking at my drum shoes on the front. There is a grove in the backplate about 1/16 deep. Should I be concerned about this. The other pads show no wear only on the top right and left. It may have been designed this way. If it is an issue can I take a grinder and grind down the outer edges?

Attachments

Rank IV

Apr 10, 2021

The grooves on backplate isn’t good. It depends on how deep the grooves though ...as a deep groove could hamper or limit the brake pad from Sliding smoothly in the drum.. My dad would tell me to weld in some metal and grind smooth afterwards. If grooves appear deep, I’d buy a new backplate but not cheap... put a small dab of brake grease on the backplate pad to help prevent next time. Not too much so to avoid grease spreading to the brake pads themselves

Rank VI

Apr 11, 2021

I think those are from the original stamping, not worn-in grooves from the shoes. You can see where the shoe has made contact and there is no groove there. I have seen other backing plates just like that.

But I see this is an old post and the original poster has not been on BN since December 11! He's probably resolved the issue by now.
2022 Bronco BadSquatch, 1974 Bronco Ranger, 1976 Bronco Crawler, 1978 Bronco Custom
14U