2.3l / 7sp engine braking (or the lack thereof)

3Dogs
Oct 10, 2022

Rank VI

Oct 10, 2022

I hope the Bronco’s brakes are oversized, because the engine braking of the 2.3l engine is insufficient. I tried to use 2nd gear to slow my descent down a not-too-steep hill, and the engine was unable to keep the Bronco from speeding up.
Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2022

Life is a Highway

Oct 10, 2022

I hope the Bronco’s brakes are oversized, because the engine braking of the 2.3l engine is insufficient. I tried to use 2nd gear to slow my descent down a not-too-steep hill, and the engine was unable to keep the Bronco from speeding up.
Are you talking on road or off road?

Burrito Connoisseur

Oct 10, 2022

There is a hill decent feature on manual Broncos that helps a ton. Changes some of the engine parameters and utilizes the ABS system to control your speed down a hill.

But yeah, the 2.3L Bronco has a relatively small engine and the Bronco itself is a 5000+ lbs vehicle. Not a whole lot of engine compression to be had to slow down the vehicle.
2022 4dr Badlands, 2.3L Manual, Mid pkg
YouTube: youtube.com/@ragnarkon
Crawler Green, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Oct 10, 2022

Many variables: grade, gearing, speed, rpms… but the little motor can only be expected to do so much! It definitely helps, but hill descent or a few light brake squeezes may be needed…
2021 badlands, 2.3, MT, rapid red, soft top
Crawler Green

Rank VI

Oct 10, 2022

Are you talking on road or off road?
This was on a dirt road. I had the Bronco in 2H.

Life is a Highway

Oct 10, 2022

This was on a dirt road. I had the Bronco in 2H.
Hmmmm did you happen to try the manual shift with the toggle on the shift knob? Sorry my brain is locked into the automatic transmission.🤣

Rank VI

Oct 10, 2022

TK1215
Hmmmm did you happen to try the manual shift with the toggle on the shift knob?
He mentioned in the title it’s a manual transmission.

Or did you see it now that he edited it? 😂 sorry disregard
22 Black Diamond 2dr non sas w tow and roof rails.

Life is a Highway

Oct 10, 2022

Hmmmm did you happen to try the manual shift with the toggle on the shift knob?
He mentioned in the title it’s a manual transmission.
I edited🤣
dover157

Rank VI

Oct 10, 2022

TK1215
I edited🤣
And now so did I 😂

I haven’t tried downshifting on hills yet (only had it 2 days) but have noticed on flat land downshifting is not as helpful as I’m used to. Still a blast to drive and row through the gears though.
22 Black Diamond 2dr non sas w tow and roof rails.

Life is a Highway

Oct 10, 2022

And now so did I 😂

I haven’t tried downshifting on hills yet (only had it 2 days) but have noticed on flat land downshifting is not as helpful as I’m used to. Still a blast to drive and row through the gears though.
Having driven manuals my whole life I never even thought of it being an issue. I downshift and I slow down. Has to be a combination of gears and the sheer weight of these beasts
dover157, MarkPS

Your unofficial Favorite Author

Oct 10, 2022

I tend to engine brake with my 2.3 Manual, not saying I'll drop down immediately, but it does help, especially when you see the cop a mile or two down the road and wanna be cool, since they won't hear ya downshifting

Anyone know the flywheel weight though?
2dr Badlands 2.3 Manual w/Mid, Rapid Red
My blog, Mfcomics.net, my stories: https://payhip.com/MFComics