60 MPH

ChuckO
May 10, 2022

Rank VI

May 10, 2022

I picked up my Bronco Sport Badlands Friday, loving it so far with 180 miles on the clock. It replaced a 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat that I had for two years putting 38K on the clock

I'm often going 60 MPH to & from work, so I thought I'd see what the three different GOAT rode modes are providing at 60 MPH

ECO = 1.8K RPM (give or take, don't have digital tac)
Normal = 2K RPM (needle sits right on the 2k RPM)
Sport = 2.4K to 2.6K RPM (call it even at 2.5K?)

In Sport, it hits 2K RPM at 40 MPH but at 60MPH it only adds an additional 500 RPM
At 70 MPH, Normal is not quite 2.5K RPM and Sport isn't a whole lot past 2.5K RPM, the gap seems to close (imho)

The Smiles per hour is awesome
Member # 5650 / 2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
jpsasha, MnLakeBum
Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2022

Rank VI

May 10, 2022

Awesome Chuck! Glad you are enjoying your Bronco and are happy with your “Smiles per gallon!”
ChuckO, Smoothmove

Rank VI

May 11, 2022

It's interesting because other cars and trucks I've had, the "sport / performance" mode generally stays the same RPM gap at whatever speed. This is the first time that I've seen where the gap narrows, granted at speeds > 60 MPH

Rank V

May 11, 2022

I use the Sport mode in our 2020 Explorer frequently while on the interstate, particularly in areas where I know the traffic will be heavy. The throttle responsiveness is MUCH better and the vehicle doesn't seem to 'resist' getting up to speed. The transmission shifts are also smoother and faster. Only drawback is that Sport mode seems to engage some kind of engine braking, which can feel weird at lower speeds.
Wildtrak ⁞ 4 DR ⁞ HOSS 3.0 ⁞ Area51 ⁞ Lux+Leather ⁞ Tow ⁞ MIC+Sunrider Top ⁞ Res 5/11/21, Rec'd 9/30/22

Rank V

May 11, 2022

It's interesting because other cars and trucks I've had, the "sport / performance" mode generally stays the same RPM gap at whatever speed. This is the first time that I've seen where the gap narrows, granted at speeds > 60 MPH
My wife's X3 M does the same type of gear changing in sport mode, RPM's are higher at almost any given speed.

Rank II

May 11, 2022

I picked up my Bronco Sport Badlands Friday, loving it so far with 180 miles on the clock. It replaced a 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat that I had for two years putting 38K on the clock

I'm often going 60 MPH to & from work, so I thought I'd see what the three different GOAT rode modes are providing at 60 MPH

ECO = 1.8K RPM (give or take, don't have digital tac)
Normal = 2K RPM (needle sits right on the 2k RPM)
Sport = 2.4K to 2.6K RPM (call it even at 2.5K?)

In Sport, it hits 2K RPM at 40 MPH but at 60MPH it only adds an additional 500 RPM
At 70 MPH, Normal is not quite 2.5K RPM and Sport isn't a whole lot past 2.5K RPM, the gap seems to close (imho)

The Smiles per hour is awesome
What are you seeing in fuel mileage?
2022 Badlands 2.3M, LUX CyberO. MIC, Tow, No SQ.
Res 7/15/20, Ord 2/8/21, CEmail: 5/12, Build 5/3, Delv 5/24 680 days
ChuckO

Rank VI

May 11, 2022

I get 21-22 MPG in Sport and 24-25 in Normal. I drive 70 miles a day and typically can maintain 60 MPH
TangerineScream

Rank 0

May 12, 2022

I have about 3000 miles on my Big Bend. Drive in Normal mode 75% and Sport 25%. Live in rural AZ so not much traffic-averaging 31.8 mpg, better than I expected
Plotus, ChuckO

Rank VI

May 13, 2022

I just filled up for the first time. (dealer provided a full tank of gas) I was down to 20 miles before empty, I had 320 miles on the clock. It took 15 gallons to fill up, I put in premium. Here's the surprise... I only got 21 MPG, the worst gas mileage yet. I guess premium isn't a good thing
TangerineScream

Rank IV

May 28, 2022

I get 21-22 MPG in Sport and 24-25 in Normal. I drive 70 miles a day and typically can maintain 60 MPH

My Bronco Sport Badlands has had mpg issues since day one : no better than 17-21 mpg in town and on interstate in eco mode. With my Yakima rack addition, no discernible difference in mileage. On month 3, while driving back from Tx to San Diego ( after Bronco offroadeo) , while on flat interstate and no wind, watched mileage drop from 21>15 mpg. Took BSB in for service and was told : 1) no problems identified and 2) you can’t believe the mpg quites from Ford. Since then , auto stop-Start almost never works (even with internal / external temperatures the same ). Have started getting message that auto stop isnt working because engine is charging ( often get this after 40-50 miles of interstate travel) . Today, while remote camping, got the message that i needed to turn on the vehicle to save the battery . I am running NOTHING in or off of the vehicle —and even have all interior lights turned off for night-sky appreciation).

Anyone have thoughts on how to approach this at my upcoming service appointment?

Since thanks for any feedback.✌

Rank VI

May 28, 2022

I don’t have anything to offer except to tell them that it’s not getting the MPG that the sticker says it will
Vangie

Plotus

Dec 09, 2023

Like 'fldavis41' ......I too am at 31.8 however I drive almost entirely in Eco mode.

edit: been using normal now. I get 31.9 and like the throttle and shift feel the best. I think it's my choice now..... just start and go..