Super Supporter II

Mar 21, 2021
Arcadia, Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Neff
Member #

Just a note for those thinking to just throw in a fill up of high octane when wanting a power boost, it usually takes about 2 tanks worth for the octane detection to adjust to the higher octane
Oh, that's good to know. I thought just a fresh tank of higher octane would do it.

Deepshag

Rank V

Don't delete

Jul 13, 2020
Caliunicornia
First Name
Shag
Last Name
Hughes
Just a note for those thinking to just throw in a fill up of high octane when wanting a power boost, it usually takes about 2 tanks worth for the octane detection to adjust to the higher octane
Interesting. Where can I find more info about this? I don't see anything online. My thought would be as soon as the gas runs the line the engine will be burning a higher octane gas. Are you saying the engine self tunes to the gas?

Norderwurm

Rank V

Supporter I

Apr 11, 2021
O'Fallon MO
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Barker
Member #

The engine advances or retards the timing by detecting pre-ignition, or knock. It's not reading or analyzing the fuel itself. So think of the logic path in the ECU. It sparks a cylinder, was thee pre- ignition? No? Then advance the timing a bit. But it's not doing this on every fire, and the adjustment is small, to keep you from damaging the engine. So it has to work it's way up to the higher octane. The only time you would see a big jump in timing is if you want from high octane to low octane, because then you'll get a knock, and the ECU will jump back to keep from possibly damaging the engine. There is a line in the code to turn octane adjustment on or off. It's fine to have it turned off when running a stock tune for 87 octane. I think here we have Ford tuning the Bronco up with the Ford performance tune.

From https://www.mustangecoboost.net/threads/which-performance-tune-should-i-use.15809/

This from a Ford engineer:

Attachments

Reactions: Giggles

Deepshag

Rank V

Don't delete

Jul 13, 2020
Caliunicornia
First Name
Shag
Last Name
Hughes
The engine advances or retards the timing by detecting pre-ignition, or knock. It's not reading or analyzing the fuel itself. So think of the logic path in the ECU. It sparks a cylinder, was thee pre- ignition? No? Then advance the timing a bit. But it's not doing this on every fire, and the adjustment is small, to keep you from damaging the engine. So it has to work it's way up to the higher octane. The only time you would see a big jump in timing is if you want from high octane to low octane, because then you'll get a knock, and the ECU will jump back to keep from possibly damaging the engine. There is a line in the code to turn octane adjustment on or off. It's fine to have it turned off when running a stock tune for 87 octane. I think here we have Ford tuning the Bronco up with the Ford performance tune.

From https://www.mustangecoboost.net/threads/which-performance-tune-should-i-use.15809/

This from a Ford engineer:
Cool stuff thanks -