2.7L Engine Bay Pics

Is this engine bay too messy?

• Yes, lets get some covers on there.

Votes: 61 43.0%
  • NO! Get your engine covers out of here!

Votes: 47 33.1%
  • I don't care. I'm never popping that hood if I don't absolutely have to.

Votes: 34 23.9%

• Total voters

Shadowblade

Rank VI

Champion I

Jun 26, 2020
Columbia, MD, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Peeler
Member #

So I have to say that after several minutes of studying those pictures. Thank you for the pictures of what’s under the hood, but I don’t see an engine in there. I don’t see a need to cover that, but I also don’t every want to open that lid now and look at that mess again. DAMN! :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

Bronc96

Rank VI

Champion I

Jul 11, 2020
Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Henderson
Member #

Thanks @David! All I can say is yikes! This will be a pain to wrench on and I don't even want think about having to replace all the hoses for those of us that plan on keeping our Broncs long term. Par for the course these days though...

Reactions: TK1215

gibsBRonCO

Rank V

Supporter III

Mar 21, 2020
Cuchara, CO, USA
Member #

That's about what I expected from a modern twin turbo V6 high performance, high efficiency engine. Not too much different than my Raptor engine bay if I take the cover off. I voted for a cover just to get a cleaner look. As noted already, not very many people will be doing their own repairs on an engine this complicated. That's why I will do my own work on my Gen 1 and 2 Broncos but I take the Raptor to the dealer for maintenance and repairs. When the "new" Bronco becomes a "classic" in 30-40 years keeping them repaired running correctly will be a challenge. Although by then internal combustion engines will likely be illegal and everything will be converted to electric. Then they'll be simple again!

Back to the cover question - I don't see any brackets that would hold a cover in any of the pics. @David , do you know if Ford is planning on a cover?

frankgoss

Rank II

Supporter I

Mar 17, 2021
22 Honey Lane, Miller Place, NY, USA
First Name
Francis
Last Name
Goss
Had a Porsche turbo 2005 Cayanne. Took it ti several dealers why it would blow 2 quarts if Mobil One around town but on it!. Good friend formerly at Porsche Orlando said Porsche 4.5L are loose, and Mobil One us thin in heat and that they way it is. The old PCV on right bank turbo would get oil mist and had to be dry out/ clean often. Easy to do, but the plumbing on 2.7 is not that eazy, so ordered 2.3 L and can chip it and get Focus RS dyno after warrantee expires. Weight to HP ratio us key. Porsche was 4500# to 450 HP or 10#/HP. Chip a 2.3L at 4500# 15#/HP . Thats 50% less in performance but 25% less in cost. Explorer now uses 3.5 turbo STR or something and gets much better perfirmance, but twice my Base Bronco. Porsche has come back with I-4 turbo and double the price if Base Bronco!

Bronco5.0

Rank VI

Promoter I

May 29, 2020
USA
Member #

That's about what I expected from a modern twin turbo V6 high performance, high efficiency engine. Not too much different than my Raptor engine bay if I take the cover off. I voted for a cover just to get a cleaner look. As noted already, not very many people will be doing their own repairs on an engine this complicated. That's why I will do my own work on my Gen 1 and 2 Broncos but I take the Raptor to the dealer for maintenance and repairs. When the "new" Bronco becomes a "classic" in 30-40 years keeping them repaired running correctly will be a challenge. Although by then internal combustion engines will likely be illegal and everything will be converted to electric. Then they'll be simple again!
Repairs? Most new engines don't need repairs for over 100k, its the ancillary stuff like sensors etc that go bad, that stuff is easy to diagnose and fix.
I seriously doubt ICE will be made illegal, they are the future, when people get off the EV kick and realize that the current fleet can be switched to hydrogen and future cars will run on hydrogen with less gross pollution and lower cost, EVs will be scarce in 40 years.

ATC Enthusiast

Rank IV

Advocate III

Feb 8, 2021
Ohio, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Lawrence
Member #

Repairs? Most new engines don't need repairs for over 100k, its the ancillary stuff like sensors etc that go bad, that stuff is easy to diagnose and fix.
I seriously doubt ICE will be made illegal, they are the future, when people get off the EV kick and realize that the current fleet can be switched to hydrogen and future cars will run on hydrogen with less gross pollution and lower cost, EVs will be scarce in 40 years.
I haven’t heard hydrogen thrown around in a minute but I agree that it seems like a better move! I’m actually really surprised that it’s not already being pushed for.

Reactions: TK1215

14U

Rank VI

Don't delete

Mar 3, 2021
Tulsa, OK, USA
First Name
Jerry
Last Name
Cook
Member #

I agree
Not political here,
Just factual-
EV will come and go as quick as Beta Max and VHS. As soon as everyone “Re fights” the whole 70s 80s & 90s Nuclear Power Plant in my back yard issue again.

gibsBRonCO

Rank V

Supporter III

Mar 21, 2020
Cuchara, CO, USA
Member #

Hydrogen is a good possibility. Combustion byproduct is water. For repairs under 100K miles Google "EcoBoost Cam Phaser Issue".

Last edited:

TurboS-957

Rank IV

Advocate III

Aug 27, 2020
East China, Michigan, USA
First Name
Wallace
Last Name
Trine
Member #

All of the fluid reservoirs are not at the front of the vehicle. Someone will be leaning over my "nice painted fenders" to put wiper fluid or other fluids in. :mad:

Anyone know the reason why they are not at the front of the vehicle?
Could be so if ur off roading n hit something by accident with the front corner u won’t break the washer fluid reservoir. I see it quite often in my line of work.
Windshield washer container is packaged inside the fender to maximize space, no room in front part of fender, or utilizing already designed fluid tank similiar to 2020 explorers. Coolant tank location seems like a safer location as Ian said above.

Last edited:
Reactions: ATC Enthusiast

Mal

Rank V

Supporter III

May 21, 2020
Albuquerque NM
Member #

The phrase that came to mind was "spaghetti mess". That being said, Ford has their engine management down.

Sometimes, I kinda miss not having to tinker on these things much anymore. Then I think about being in the middle of nowhere with the CJ and trying to jury rig a way to get home, and wonder what I was thinking in the first place.

OtherTimDavis

Rank IV

Advocate III

Feb 22, 2021
Martinsville, IN, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Davis
Member #

IMHO, there isn't another engine bay out there that looks this messed up. I'm not a fan of covering the entire engine with a cover but it might be an improvement over that.
It used to be a thing of pride when you had a chance to open the hood for someone, not gonna happen now.
Now you can see the thingamabob, the whatchmacallit, the hootermicooter, the flux capacitor and everything else :ROFLMAO:
I am sorry, I have been an engineer most of my adult life, what exactly is a hootermicooter?

• Haha
Reactions: Deano Bronc

OtherTimDavis

Rank IV

Advocate III

Feb 22, 2021
Martinsville, IN, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I think that it would have been better for the aux switch wiring to be terminated on a terminal block that you could cross connect the segments together. It looks like they are just taped up to some wire loom on the firewall.

joedirte

Rank IV

Advocate III

Mar 13, 2021
Redding, CA, USA
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Had a 2.3 in my 74 Pinto and my 91 4X4 Ranger. Ran them both hard as I was way younger back then.

100,000 on Pinto when sold, replaced water pump and timing belt. 80;000 on Ranger when traded no issues.

Followed maintenance schedules on both, both ran well loved to be run with foot on floor.

That was a long time ago. Don't know about the new fuel delivery system, if there is going to be a problem I would say it won't

be the bottom end.

LR48

Rank V

Supporter III

Nov 13, 2020
Winter Park Fl
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Faulk
Member #

Thank you for pictures, I'm just thanking all the powers that be that I'm not the guy who has to assemble that mess. I know someplace under all that is a really exceptional engine. It would appear that with all the brilliant modularity of the exterior there will be no easy way to make changes under the hood.

MN_OuterBanks

Rank V

Champion III

Mar 19, 2021
MN, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wesanto
Member #

So I’m curious how you’re finding out about these bronco showings at dealers? I ordered mine but have yet to see one in person. I there a website or something that lists these events?

Reactions: SlashRacer