2.3 manual noise when engine is cold

CGBadlands21
Jan 12, 2022

Rank V

Jan 12, 2022

Had my Bronco a couple months. 2000 miles. I have the 2.3 manual in my Badlands. When I start it up in the morning I hear what sounds like a grinding, somethings loose kind of noise. When I push the clutch in it seems to go away. It also seems to go away after it has been driven a while. Anyone else experiencing this? Is it normal? I have an appointment to bring the truck in tomorrow 1/12/22. I will let everyone know how I make out.
2021 Bronco Badlands
Cactus grey
Lux Pkg 7spd
Roughstock11, F1ATX

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Jan 12, 2022

Cold fluid probably spinning gears
JoergH, 14U

Rank VI

Jan 12, 2022

Pilot bearing? Let us know what you learn.

How cold is cold? Hasn’t gotten much below 20F for me yet…
2021 badlands, 2.3, MT, rapid red, soft top
AcesandEights

Rank II

Jan 12, 2022

Had my Bronco a couple months. 2000 miles. I have the 2.3 manual in my Badlands. When I start it up in the morning I hear what sounds like a grinding, somethings loose kind of noise. When I push the clutch in it seems to go away. It also seems to go away after it has been driven a while. Anyone else experiencing this? Is it normal? I have an appointment to bring the truck in tomorrow 1/12/22. I will let everyone know how I make out.

One of the first bad posts I’ve seen on the 2.3. How cold is it in your area?

Home, home on the range

Jan 12, 2022

South Dakota has been below 0 a few times so this will interest me as well. I have a manual coming too.
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 2dr 2.3L manual Hot Pepper Red. Reserved 8/7/20. Ordered 1/23/21. Reordered 10/08/21. Scheduled week of January 24th 2022, delivered 2/24/2022

Rank V

Jan 12, 2022

Pilot bearing? Let us know what you learn.

How cold is cold? Hasn’t gotten much below 20F for me yet…
I’m in North Jersey and it’s been in the teens last few mornings. But it has happened in warmer temps. Seems to happen when engine is cold, not necessarily the temps.
2021 Bronco Badlands
Cactus grey
Lux Pkg 7spd
Shoresy

Rank V

Jan 12, 2022

:coffee: Subscribing. 2.3 manual coming for me...maybe next winter but whatever.
On Order, 11/15/21: MY22 Badlands 2-dr, Carb Gray, 2.3L, 7spd, SAS, Lux Reorder, 9/23/22: MY23, dropped tow.
Sche'd Production: 11/28/22, Modules Live: 11/30/22. Delivered 12/02/22.
Smoothmove

Rank 0

Jan 12, 2022

My 2.3 Badlands makes the same noise as well, notice it the most when downshifting and also when the engine is cold, not necessarily cold temps.
Jakob1972, CGBadlands21

Rank V

Jan 12, 2022

Its been cold lately..teens in the morning. But its not necessarily the cold temps. Really just when the engine is cold.
2021 Bronco Badlands
Cactus grey
Lux Pkg 7spd
GrizzlyMcAdams

Rank II

Jan 12, 2022

Its been cold lately..teens in the morning. But its not necessarily the cold temps. Really just when the engine is cold.
What about when the engine itself gets warm? Does the rattle go away or no? It’s been getting into the single digits here

Rank V

Jan 12, 2022

What about when the engine itself gets warm? Does the rattle go away or no? It’s been getting into the single digits here
From what I noticed it does go away. Its in the shop today getting looked at. Hopefully nothing major, but I will keep everyone updated.
2021 Bronco Badlands
Cactus grey
Lux Pkg 7spd
CaliKAP, Deano Bronc

Gladesmen

Jan 12, 2022

Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
Jboohound, MCBronco777

Rank V

Jan 12, 2022

UPDATE Well not really what I wanted to hear or satisfied with the explanation I got. Service manager said it could possibly be the throw out bearing. As the invoice states they have a call into Ford. They will call me when they hear from them. I picked up the truck as they said it was fine to drive. They also said it may be a break-in thing, which I know is not the case. It drives fine, shifts easy and clutch is easy to operate. Besides the noise no issues. I have to say until I hear from them again I’m hesitant to drive it. Luckily I’ll be out of town for a few days. Hopefully I’ll hear back before I get home.

Attachments

2021 Bronco Badlands
Cactus grey
Lux Pkg 7spd
AcesandEights, Sdakotabronco

Gladesmen

Jan 12, 2022

UPDATE Well not really what I wanted to hear or satisfied with the explanation I got. Service manager said it could possibly be the throw out bearing. As the invoice states they have a call into Ford. They will call me when they hear from them. I picked up the truck as they said it was fine to drive. They also said it may be a break-in thing, which I know is not the case. It drives fine, shifts easy and clutch is easy to operate. Besides the noise no issues. I have to say until I hear from them again I’m hesitant to drive it. Luckily I’ll be out of town for a few days. Hopefully I’ll hear back before I get home.
Now is the time to drive it I’d want that sucker to fail sooner rather than later but at least you have record of when the issue started.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
Bronco-lemon, Deano Bronc

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Jan 12, 2022

More problems, the sky is falling the sky is falling.:eek:
AcesandEights, JoergH

Home, home on the range

Jan 12, 2022

Thanks for the update! Will be watching for your next one.
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 2dr 2.3L manual Hot Pepper Red. Reserved 8/7/20. Ordered 1/23/21. Reordered 10/08/21. Scheduled week of January 24th 2022, delivered 2/24/2022

Moab or bust!!!

Jan 12, 2022

Strange, the throw out bearing usually makes noise when you engage the clutch not the other way around.
Maybe there's something thats not adjusted correctly.
2022 Bronco Badlands, 4D, Hot Pepper Red, 2.7, Squatch, Lux, and MIC.
7/13/2020 10:04pm reservation. Blend 6/16/2022 Delivered 6/26/2022.
Dealership - Stephen's Auto Center.
Bronco V-8, Shoresy

Rank V

Jan 12, 2022

It should just be a cold start in cold temps. Give it a couple minutes goes away after priming complete. Otherwise you have another issue no one else has reported as being an actual issue. I have 2.3 MT BL as well btw.
2021Bronco☆2.3☆BL☆7MT☆4D☆A51☆SoftT☆ARRIVED 9/9/21☆SOLD 1/21/23☆NT Supports▪Consults▪Supply's Car Dealers, Vehicle Distributors, and Retail Customers Since 1992
Jakob1972

Rank V

Jan 12, 2022

It should just be a cold start in cold temps. Give it a couple minutes goes away after priming complete. Otherwise you have another issue no one else has reported as being an actual issue. I have 2.3 MT BL as well btw.
So are you saying you have the same thing happening with your Bronco?
2021 Bronco Badlands
Cactus grey
Lux Pkg 7spd

Rank V

Jan 12, 2022

So are you saying you have the same thing happening with your Bronco?
I noticed diff noise at cold start when cold outside, nothing crazy, went away after warm up. I live in the desert and we only have about 1 week of "cold" temps per year which already passed (30s). That week I noticed a little more priming in the engine. Nothing since then. As for noise when downshifting after warm up, NO, zero noise. Sounds like a swiss watch...ticks just fine.
2021Bronco☆2.3☆BL☆7MT☆4D☆A51☆SoftT☆ARRIVED 9/9/21☆SOLD 1/21/23☆NT Supports▪Consults▪Supply's Car Dealers, Vehicle Distributors, and Retail Customers Since 1992
Sdakotabronco