Desert Camping in the West

TurkeyRun
Nov 17, 2020

Rank VI

Nov 17, 2020

He folks

One of the things Mrs and I want to do with our new Bronco is do some desert camping. You know, watch for UFOs and stuff.

I've done plenty of motorcycle camping in various woods/forests/beaches. (Mrs idea of camping is a Class A motorhome in the parking lot of a Hampton Inn with an all organic Mexican restaurant across the parking lot).

If any of you want to pass down Desert Camping Skills, learn along with us, or something in between, we're all ears. I'm thinking Mojave, Death Valley, etc. We're in Central CA so CA, NV, AZ, UT all within reason.

Ping me if ya wanna get to gather or, just add tips/trips/experiences to this here thread!

TIA
2021 BadSquatch, 4DR, 2.7/AT, High Package, Oxford White
BuzzyBud, Calgecko
Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2020

Rank VI

Nov 17, 2020

Don't forget some of the Member features we have that can help you connect with other Bronco folks with the same interest. The Member Map can help you send message to all Forum users and Members in your area so you can see if anyone else would like to do some desert camping too. Also, you can set up a Round-Up, set the RSVP limit to whatever you feel comfortable with and send invites to everyone within an area you specify. If you need any help getting started, hit me up, @dwrock, or one of our Moderators.
Bronco Nation Member #144
David in the Bronco Nation Forums
BroncoTroubadour on Instagram
TurkeyRun, BuzzyBud

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Nov 17, 2020

Desert doesn't necessarily mean hot. Temperature swing from day to night can sometimes be 40-50 degrees or more, so be prepared for cold nights. Changing your socks just before turning helps your feet stay warm. Big temperature swings can also cause a lot of nighttime winds, so make sure everything is secure and staked down. Some of the desert areas require elevated metal containers for campfires so you don't scorch the cryptobiotic crust.
Deano Bronc, TurkeyRun

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Nov 17, 2020

Also, if you want to make sure it rains in the desert, bring me along. Every time I plan a trip to Anza Borrego it seems to rain on us. o_O
Deano Bronc, TurkeyRun