Bronco Sport Headlamp Efficiency

CycloneCowboy
Nov 15, 2020

Rank II

Nov 15, 2020

One of the biggest complaints about modern vehicles is "headlamp efficiency" -- governed by the way lights are desigend into the body and / or by LED configuration. My Xterra has horrible headlamps. In fact, it's one of the main topics in Nissan discussion groups.

This problem has also plagued the Toyota 4Runner and was the reason I took it off my list, although the 2021, top of the line models apparently have high efficiency LED's, although I have not tested them myself.

When I'm storm chasing at night, I need very good headlamps, especially on lonely Texas highways where cattle (or debris) often wander onto the highway. Years ago, a storm chaser was killed when he hit a black cow at night.

Although I don't do much nighttime 4x4 driving, I'm sure good headlamps are also important.

I'm really looking forward to hearing reports of how the Sport's little, round headlamps work, especially how they cast light down the highway in darkness while at highway speeds of 55 to 70mph. Although it's possible to add LED light bars, it's generally unreasonable to use them on highways becuse you have to constantly turn them off to avoid blinding other drivers or face citations. Since the Bronco Sport is a new design, it will be interesting to see. Poor headlamps would be a possible deal breaker for me unless someone manufactures a better configuration if needed.
Bronco70_71, BuzzyBud
Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2020

Rank VI

Nov 16, 2020

One of the biggest complaints about modern vehicles is "headlamp efficiency" -- governed by the way lights are desigend into the body and / or by LED configuration. My Xterra has horrible headlamps. In fact, it's one of the main topics in Nissan discussion groups.

This problem has also plagued the Toyota 4Runner and was the reason I took it off my list, although the 2021, top of the line models apparently have high efficiency LED's, although I have not tested them myself.

When I'm storm chasing at night, I need very good headlamps, especially on lonely Texas highways where cattle (or debris) often wander onto the highway. Years ago, a storm chaser was killed when he hit a black cow at night.

Although I don't do much nighttime 4x4 driving, I'm sure good headlamps are also important.

I'm really looking forward to hearing reports of how the Sport's little, round headlamps work, especially how they cast light down the highway in darkness while at highway speeds of 55 to 70mph. Although it's possible to add LED light bars, it's generally unreasonable to use them on highways becuse you have to constantly turn them off to avoid blinding other drivers or face citations. Since the Bronco Sport is a new design, it will be interesting to see. Poor headlamps would be a possible deal breaker for me unless someone manufactures a better configuration if needed.

Yeah, we probably won’t hear about this until delivery since the first drives that they did with the media where in daylight. That said, the light bars are incredible, and way too much for on-road. Attached is a picture of that light bar turned on and the Sport it was on.

Attachments

Bronco Nation Member #144
David in the Bronco Nation Forums
BroncoTroubadour on Instagram
Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Nov 16, 2020

You might consider adding lighting appropriate for on-road driving. I plan to add on-road and off-road lighting to my Bronco using Baja Designs. I have begun the conversation with Paul at Baja Designs ([email protected]) See also (www.bajadesigns.com)
Deano Bronc

Rank IV

Nov 16, 2020

Really liked the RIGID D-SS PRO, Dually-Side Shooter Pod lights on my JK.
Bschurr, Deano Bronc

Rank 0

Nov 17, 2020

You might consider adding lighting appropriate for on-road driving. I plan to add on-road and off-road lighting to my Bronco using Baja Designs. I have begun the conversation with Paul at Baja Designs ([email protected]) See also (www.bajadesigns.com)
Are you talking with them about the Bronco or the Bronco Sport? It would be nice to hear what you learn about lighting. Currently, accessories.ford.com does not have lighting available for either the Bronco Sport or the Bronco.

Also interested in how it will be wired.

Rank VI

Nov 17, 2020

Are you talking with them about the Bronco or the Bronco Sport? It would be nice to hear what you learn about lighting. Currently, accessories.ford.com does not have lighting available for either the Bronco Sport or the Bronco.

Also interested in how it will be wired.

I will be happy to share what I learn. Discussions are on-going and are only focused on the Bronco since that is what I plan to purchase. I have a lot to learn since I want both on-road (BD Squadron SAE, amber) and off-road (S2 Pro and S8 LED Lightbar) and a few more. It may be too soon for Baja Designs to have all the Bronco specific mounts ready, but I am trying to nudge them in that direction.

Rank II

Nov 17, 2020

If you put any type of non-manufacturer highway driving (not off road) lights on a vehicle in Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Arizona, etc., you are going to be ticketed. This has been discussed ad nauseam on multiple discussion groups for Nissan, Toyota, etc. I cannot imagine how much an aftermarket headlamp retro fit would cost for a BS or how long it would take to get one. I'm assuming the headlamps will be fine, but there has been a string of SUV's with very poor low and high beams for highway driving.

Rank 0

Nov 18, 2020

What a put the 40” light bar that Ford has developed with Rigid, selling on the accessories site?

Rank 0

Nov 18, 2020

My first thing to do is lights added with a nudge bar and/or roof rack. There are a billion differnt lighting options out there, that should be the last reason to make you shy away IMO. Plus the brown leather interrior is going to be amazing on the sport.

Rank V

Feb 08, 2021

There are tons of aftermarket options to see better in the dark.
Some are simple bulb replacements and are a low cost solution!
That said,
There is a video out there of the stock lights at night projecting.
They look very substantial!

By this time owners have them,
What do you think?

Rank III

Feb 13, 2021

There are tons of aftermarket options to see better in the dark.
Some are simple bulb replacements and are a low cost solution!
That said,
There is a video out there of the stock lights at night projecting.
They look very substantial!

By this time owners have them,
What do you think?
I had the opportunity to drive a 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands which included some night time driving. The LED headlights were very impressive especially on high beam. I consider them better than the Halogen headlamps on my current vehicle. The Bronco Sports high beams reminded me of my 1971 Ford Bronco which I added Aircraft Landing lights to the front bumper
Bronclahoma, TrailReady

Rank III

Feb 13, 2021

I had the opportunity to drive a 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands which included some night time driving. The LED headlights were very impressive especially on high beam. I consider them better than the Halogen headlamps on my current vehicle. The Bronco Sports high beams reminded me of my 1971 Ford Bronco which I added Aircraft Landing lights to the front bumper
TrailReady