1st Year or Wait?

Hardy93
Jun 01, 2020

Rank 0

Jun 01, 2020

I've seen many say they are skipping the 1st year models to let Ford iron out weird things. That they hope to get one at year 2 or 3.

Who is all in on buying first year? I feel like I am for sure getting first year unless something unpredictable comes up. Is the first year curse really that bad still?
katsess
Last edited by a moderator: Jun 01, 2020

Standing Grumpy Face

Jun 02, 2020

I know if I wasn't locked into my Grand Cherokee for a few more years it would be hard for me to resist ordering one the day the ordering banks open. So I'll be waiting it out. By that time any bugs will be worked out and the aftermarket will be up to speed. And maybe some cooler colors will be available.
Hardy93

Rank 0

Jun 02, 2020

I know if I wasn't locked into my Grand Cherokee for a few more years it would be hard for me to resist ordering one the day the ordering banks open. So I'll be waiting it out. By that time any bugs will be worked out and the aftermarket will be up to speed. And maybe some cooler colors will be available.
Aftermarket will be rocking when you come in! Almost a perfect storm, tuned vehicle and tons of extras!
SlashRacer, Garemlin

Rank 0

Jun 02, 2020

i will be buying one in sept 2021. I'm fine with a first year, especially if the 2nd years are just coming out and i can get a good deal!
Hardy93

Standing Grumpy Face

Jun 02, 2020

i will be buying one in sept 2021. I'm fine with a first year, especially if the 2nd years are just coming out and i can get a good deal!

I'm really wondering how delays and initial release will play into future MY releases. It could end up being completely off schedule from other MY releases. Jeep went weird with the Wrangler. For the last 5 or so years their next MY order banks have been opening up around September. Which is when most next MY vehicles are usually hitting showroom floors.
DesertBronco

Standing Grumpy Face

Jun 02, 2020

Aftermarket will be rocking when you come in! Almost a perfect storm, tuned vehicle and tons of extras!

That's what I'm hoping.

Rank III

Jun 03, 2020

I think you should wait so whatever configuration I want will be available...
https://www.devilhorsemotorsports.com
https://www.instagram.com/caballodeldiablo/

Rank 0

Jun 03, 2020

I’ll live vicariously through other people on this site for a while.

I’d like to be one of the first ones driving around town, but realistically I’ll be getting mine later in the year (probably borderline 2022 release). Either way aftermarket will be ramped-up, which will be nice to already have upgrades on the wishlist when it comes time to purchase. Probably help pick model, etc.
Hardy93

Rank II

Jul 02, 2020

my wife's 2010 Volvo and my 2014 Kia just BOTH failed state inspection. hers for exhaust leak, mine for SRS Airbag light. over $2,000 to fix them both.

we have no modern, daily drivers now. hmmn, wonder if I can win her over for a new Bronco? when do they arrive, Fall?

Rank VI

Jul 02, 2020

my wife's 2010 Volvo and my 2014 Kia just BOTH failed state inspection. hers for exhaust leak, mine for SRS Airbag light. over $2,000 to fix them both.

we have no modern, daily drivers now. hmmn, wonder if I can win her over for a new Bronco? when do they arrive, Fall?

April, at the earliest.
If Found, Return to the Wild

Rank II

Jul 02, 2020

April, at the earliest.

i'm definitely repairing one of my daily's. too bad April is so far away.
frinesi2

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Jul 02, 2020

Not worried about 1st model.
tracythemighty, The Devil Horse

RedNexican X Apalacian American: Goofyness!

Jul 03, 2020

Let's take a realistic look.

What we know: 10 speed trans. Been around a long time, proven, 1/2 ton trans. Motors. (All 3 of them) Been around a long time, proven in the Ranger through 1/2 ton trucks.

The unknown to me is the electrical system. It's not the motors or transmissions.

L.R.
tracythemighty, Countryboy720

Standing Grumpy Face

Jul 03, 2020

Let's take a realistic look.

What we know: 10 speed trans. Been around a long time, proven, 1/2 ton trans. Motors. (All 3 of them) Been around a long time, proven in the Ranger through 1/2 ton trucks.

The unknown to me is the electrical system. It's not the motors or transmissions.

L.R.

Yeah my biggest concerns would be electrical and the top. How's the top going to react to different elements. To put it bluntly will it leak.
tracythemighty, LoneRanger

RedNexican X Apalacian American: Goofyness!

Jul 03, 2020

I'm not worried about leaks, I am extremely concerned with a roof rack and knowing what the loading will be (both static and dynamic).
tracythemighty

Rank V

Jul 03, 2020

I've seen many say they are skipping the 1st year models to let Ford iron out weird things. That they hope to get one at year 2 or 3.

Who is all in on buying first year? I feel like I am for sure getting first year unless something unpredictable comes up. Is the first year curse really that bad still?

I’m gunna lease 1st MY. That way if there are any kinks Ford has to hash out the first 2 to 3 years I don’t have to sweat about being stuck with the ownership of a “minimum viable product”. And then when my lease is up i’ll buy MY 2 or 3 whichever one is out by the time the contract finishes.
Hardy93, katsess

Rank V

Jul 04, 2020

ALWAYS wait. Let the casuals, normies, and the blindly faithful be the guinea pigs. Plus rumors say the really fun stuff won't come for a few years.

Unless you absolutely have to have the first year special edition, it's really not worth the risk owning a first year model. The only other exception might be someone whose current vehicle situation is lacking and needs a new car right away.
katsess

Rank III

Jul 04, 2020

She will go for it! let her pick the color.
katsess, Joe Bronco

Rank V

Jul 04, 2020

2010, 2014?? Are you kidding??

Rank II

Jul 04, 2020

2010, 2014?? Are you kidding??

i wish i were kidding. i scoured tens of web sites to get the volvo exhaust parts down to $600. i have those here now. and a mobile mech $300 to do that swap. kia wants $700 to replace the airbag module but i just got that down to maybe $100 if i remove it and ship it to a firm that resets the codes in there and then they ship it back to me. so i now have the total to near $1,100 for the two daily drivers. and of course, my 68 Bronco is sitting in the driveway waiting for a 4R70W to arrive but that's on hold for now. when it rains it pours i guess. i think i'll be back on track in 1-2 weeks.