The Military and those that serve.

Deano Bronc
Sep 15, 2020

Moab or bust!!!

Sep 15, 2020

I just wanted to thank all on this forum that have served in the Military. I've noticed a lot of veterans in here and they all seem to have a bond that goes much deeper than any vehicle could ever hope for. I've never had the privilege to serve but fully understand the impact you've made to our country and appreciate all the sacrifices you've all endured.

I thought this thread would be a way for all of you to connect on something other than the Bronco.
What branch did you serve, basic training location, where where you stationed?

Also I was hoping some of you would have some good stories about the vehicles you used while serving - Jeep, Humvee, tank, etc...... Anything with a motor will please this crowd. ;)

Thank you!!
2022 Bronco Badlands, 4D, Hot Pepper Red, 2.7, Squatch, Lux, and MIC.
7/13/2020 10:04pm reservation. Blend 6/16/2022 Delivered 6/26/2022.
Dealership - Stephen's Auto Center.
JAD67428, Gocats
Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2020

Rank VI

Sep 15, 2020

OOOOH RAAAAAA

USMC served from 1986 to 1990. Station in Camp Lejeune NC.. 10th Marines and …….. MCAS iwankuni Japan 3rd FSSG https://www.mcasiwakuni.marines.mil/

3521 Motor transport ……. you break it and we fix it

Crazy story

First duty station was Japan. I was a 18 year old kid in the land of the rising sun. 6' 2" 235 lbs of hard drinking, parting, hell raising youth …. in a country where the average height is 5'3". We were only 50 miles or so away from Hiroshima. One Friday me and a group of Devil dogs decided to take the train to party in the city. We had to camp out in front of the club for hours until we finally talked some Japanese girls to sponsor us to get in. 40$ for all you can drink and some kind of finger food with rice and unknown sea creatures. After 4 hours we stumbled out of the club, and wobbled to the train station..... only to find out the trains stopped running until 8:00am. We spent the night sleeping on park benches in 'peace park'.... which just happens to be ground zero where the atomic bomb hit. My drunk ass was looking across the river at the bombed out shell of a power plant from 1945 thinking ……… I'm a very long way from home.

Just an FYI...…. Japan is one of the cleanest places on earth..... I had no problems sleeping on a park bench..... I actually felt a lot safer there than I do in Atlanta.
Gocats, TrailReady

Rank III

Sep 15, 2020

Just an old Army Grunt here. The only two land based vehicles I had contact with were the M151 Jeep and the M973 SUSV.
2018 Ford Raptor
2020 Audi SQ5-2022 4dr Wildtrak on order.
TrailReady, Midnight Blue

Rank VI

Sep 16, 2020

Army for 8 years, Infantry and Signals officer. I did my Infantry Officer Basic at Ft. Benning and then went to Baumholder, Germany. Also stopped through Ft. Gordon and Ft. Hood with some stop overs in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I have a long story about pulling the rear axle off a Humvee after it fell in a canal in sector but it’s too long for tonight.;)
Bronco Nation Member #144
David in the Bronco Nation Forums
BroncoTroubadour on Instagram
TrailReady, Hobgoblin
SandboxGeneral

Sep 16, 2020

I was a radio operator (2531) for the infantry. Served from 1997-2001 in 2nd Battalion, 7th Marines. My primary role was TACP (tactical air control party) where we called in CAS (close air support) for the grunts on the front line. That was a fun job.

Vehicle related story:
One day we were leaving mainside at 29 Palms for a week long field op and I had to go to the motor pool to get my HMMWV, bring it back to the comm shop, load up our gear and then get into convey formation.

Those HMMWV's (H1 versions) were wobbly on pavement most of the time as they were always worked hard and put away wet. This day it seemed especially wobbly as we made our way down the road. At first I didn't think much of it and kept going thinking that once we hit the dirt it would drive better. A few miles into the training area, on the dirt, the wobble became intense suddenly and I knew something was bad wrong. Immedieately I started to ease to the right hand side and get out of the convey. The dust was being kicked up good by every vehicle of course, since we're in the middle of the desert. The Marine behind me, PFC Diaz, wasn't the most attentive person around and in the fraction of a second from when the wobble started and I began to move to the right, I thought and hoped he wouldn't rear end me because he might not have seen me slowing down in front of him from the dust.

Thankfully, he narrowly missed clipping me. But a second before he missed me, the left front wheel of my HMMWV came off, went rolling down the road about 100 yards and my hub hit the ground, dug in and I came to a quick stop.

It turns out that all the lug nuts on the vehicle were loose, 8 nuts per wheel. Some Marine at the motor pool who rotated, or changed the wheels around last had only hand tightened them and neglected to torque them down.

My Master Sergeant or Top, (I was a Corporal at the time) pulled over to see what happened and he went to retrieve the missing wheel for me. (He was an awesome guy)

We jacked the vehicle up, put the wheel back on, stole nuts from the other 3 wheels to secure it, and then proceeded to torque down all the lug nuts on all the wheels. The other 3 wheels were close to coming off as well, but the left front was the first to go.

I had no more issues with the HMMWV the rest of the field op. Upon returning to mainside afterwards, I told the Staff Sergeant at the motor pool what happened and he blamed me for the mishap! He said I should have checked the vehicle over, including the lug nuts before leaving with it. Maybe. But let's be honest here, and I maintain to this day, who the hell checks lug nuts before driving away in a vehicle? No one, unless you, yourself just worked on them. I didn't get into any trouble officially for it though except for him saying I was at fault.

I bet @paul rondelli was the mechanic who forgot to tighten my lug nuts! :ROFLMAO:

20160407_104003000_iOS.jpg

Rank VI

Sep 16, 2020

Not me brother. But I have some crazy ass stories from the motor pool

soooo working in the motor pool most of the 5 ton trucks have some sort of ether start system to get those pigs started when cold. The Humvees had glow plugs so they were easy but the 5 tons could be a challenge. Most of the time either the bottle was empty... or clogged with something. We had the bright idea to just take the bottle and use a screw driver to shoot the ether directly down into the intake. worked great on the 5 tons.... But we had this ancient deuce and a half from the Korean war still in the pool. I jumped right up and shot a long pull of ether down the intake and nothing happened. My bright ass decided to take a peek down the intake tube to see if anything was blocking the tube. At this point the driver flipped the pre heater switch. This deuce and a half had a friggin glow plug before the air filter to heat up the air ……. well it ignited the ether and sent a mushroom cloud up the tube and directly into my face.

First degree burns on my face.... no eye brows.... and no eye lashes for a few months. FUN TIMES
Midnight Blue, SlashRacer
SandboxGeneral

Sep 16, 2020

Not me brother. But I have some crazy ass stories from the motor pool

soooo working in the motor pool most of the 5 ton trucks have some sort of ether start system to get those pigs started when cold. The Humvees had glow plugs so they were easy but the 5 tons could be a challenge. Most of the time either the bottle was empty... or clogged with something. We had the bright idea to just take the bottle and use a screw driver to shoot the ether directly down into the intake. worked great on the 5 tons.... But we had this ancient deuce and a half from the Korean war still in the pool. I jumped right up and shot a long pull of ether down the intake and nothing happened. My bright ass decided to take a peek down the intake tube to see if anything was blocking the tube. At this point the driver flipped the pre heater switch. This deuce and a half had a friggin glow plug before the air filter to heat up the air ……. well it ignited the ether and sent a mushroom cloud up the tube and directly into my face.

First degree burns on my face.... no eye brows.... and no eye lashes for a few months. FUN TIMES
That's a wild story right there. Hope there were no lasting scars from that on your grape.
SlashRacer, NVSUR

Moab or bust!!!

Sep 17, 2020

I have a long story about pulling the rear axle off a Humvee after it fell in a canal in sector but it’s too long for tonight.;)
Hey David, don't leave us hanging. :ROFLMAO:
SlashRacer, KennyMac

Rank VI

Sep 17, 2020

Hey David, don't leave us hanging. :ROFLMAO:
Alright, alright. Not a great story but it’s what I got.

So little Lt. Dave is rolling out on yet another patrol circa summer of 2008 just outside Baghdad. At the time, we were surveying infrastructure for potential civic projects to improve the local economy. The task of the day was mapping out canals.

Canals in that part of Iraq are often raised above the field levels and the banks have dirt roads on them. We came to a dead end and I hopped out of the truck to get the GPS coordinates of the end of the canal for some map overlays that we were working on. Once I had the grid, I hopped back in the truck and we started to turn around. In hindsight, I probably should have ground guided the truck around but I didn’t want to be out and exposed on the raised bank for too long so I didn’t. The gunner in the turret had decent visibility of the back end and we tried to take it slow, doing about a ten point turn while the other truck and Bradleys in the patrol did the same.

All of a sudden, I felt the back end of the HMMWV slip and the front left end went up in the air. The bank had collapsed and we were sinking backward into the canal. We stopped moving but we were teetering on the edge so I told everyone in the truck to stay still and then radioed for another truck to back up so that they could hook up a tow strap to keep us from tipping over or sinking any further into the canal.

My RTO, the radio guy who was also our forward observer, was sitting behind the driver and got spooked. He jumped out of the truck and slammed the door while we all started to sink further into the canal. Water started poring in through my door but thankfully the truck ahead of us got hooked up and was able to stop our slip. The gunner and our interpreter were able to exit and I had to shed my body armor, ammo, and hand my weapon over to get out the drivers side.

There wasn’t much cover around but I was able to get a reasonable cordon set up while my platoon sergeant tried to figure out how to get the truck out. Once we had 360 security I walked over to see what he’d come up with and he suggested calling the tactical ops center (TOC) for the company and ask for the wrecker to be dispatched. All we had for recovery assets was the other truck and the two Bradley IFVs. I called in from the other HMMWV and got the answer I expected. They told me that all recovery options available must be tried prior to dispatching the wrecker.

I wasn’t surprised because the wrecker wasn’t up-armored and it’s a pretty vital asset, a great target. So we hooked up some additional straps to the other truck and tried to pull. All we managed to do was make the truck fall deeper into the canal and it started to turn around with the front going down. So we hooked to the back tow hooks and promptly popped them right off the truck. I called the TOC again. The conversation went something like this:

“Blackjack TOC this is Red 1.”
“Go ahead Red 1.”
“TOC this is Red 1, wheeled recovery with the other trucks was ineffective, we need the wrecker dispatched.”
“Red 1 this is TOC, good copy, wait one.”
“This is Red 1, roger that.”
“Red 1, have you tried the Bradleys?”
“TOC, Red 1, ummmmm pull out wheeled with track, over?”
“Affirmative”
“TOC, Red 1, we haven’t tried that.”

Now I’ll interject here to say that there’s an old recovery rule in the Army. Wheeled pulls wheeled, track pulls track. I knew this rule but I didn’t fully appreciate the reason the rule exists so I didn’t push back.

“Red 1, this is Blackjack TOC, gotta try it before the wrecker comes out.”
“TOC, Red 1, roger that. Will call back with results shortly.”

So my platoon sergeant was listening in on his radio and was looking at me and shaking his head the whole time. I gave him the, welp, we got to do it look and he hopped into action. We pulled Bradley up to the truck and, since we’d popped all the tow hooks, hooked up to the bumper instead.

The bumper was promptly ripped off the HMMWV and I started to doubt my career choices. We cleaned up the bumper and considered our options. One of my squad leaders suggested putting the Bradley tow ropes around the back axle and pulling it that way.

Surely you couldn’t pull off the axle, right? Nope, you can and we did. The Bradley started to pull, the rope got tight and then, with a horrifying crunch and screech, it seemed like that whole truck ripped in half. In reality though, we’d taken off the the axle and back wheels. I called TOC back.

“Blackjack TOC, Red 1, over”
“Red 1, TOC, how’d it go?”
“TOC, Red 1, the back of the HMMWV is no longer attached to the rest of the truck, over.”
“Red 1, TOC, would you like to dispatch the wrecker?”
“TOC, Red 1, please and thank you, over and out.”

To our motorpool team’s credit, my recollection is that they were onsite within an hour. They’d been pretty bored and this was their chance to roll outside the wire and they did a great job. The wrecker made short work of collecting the pieces and getting the truck back to our patrol base. All told, our planned 2-3 hour patrol ended up in the neighborhood of 8 hours but the cooks kept our dinner chow warm so it wasn’t so bad.

The truck was the talk of the company though. Word had spread that we had a truck in pretty rough shape and everybody came out to see the thing as we rolled back through the gate. That HMMWV was deadlined for about a month as getting parts out to the patrol base was slow.

My platoon learned a lot that day and my RTO was on the receiving end of plenty of jokes for jumping ship before we were secured. No one got hurt though and everyone that rolled out rolled back in so all in all not a bad day.
Bronco Nation Member #144
David in the Bronco Nation Forums
BroncoTroubadour on Instagram

Rank V

Sep 17, 2020

I would to say to all of you .... thank you for fighting for me and our country. I didn't serve. I graduated in 1975, the Vietnam war was over and the armed services stopped the draft. So I got on with my life. I did wish years ago I would have went in the armed services. My dad was in the Korean war, Army. His, brother was in World War II, Navy. My dad NEVER spoke about the Korean war, ever. I had three cousins serve in 'Nam. They weren't the same after. My brother (ten years younger) served in the first gulf war, Army. His son was in the air force, and now is in the National Guard as a chopper pilot. Heck, my grandpa, who was born in England, was in the American Army in World War I. My brother told me what happened to him in Iraq, "the shock and awe". He said this, my brother " it truly scared the sh2t out of the Iraqi Army as they over whelmed the Tank convoy he was in to surrender to them" The convoy had to stop. They were heading north to Baghdad. I just finally want to say this. If it wasn't for YOU Men and Women who have put yourself in harms way for the rest of us, United States of America, wouldn't exist. So Again Thank You. I love reading your stories, it gives us civilians a feel of what it is, and was like to serve, and sacrifice. Don't ever feel people don't want to here them, at least me.
Baja on! As Ford Spanked the competition in 1969, in the Baja 1000, NO OTHER AUTOMAKER HAS, replicated in 50 plus years
SlashRacer, KennyMac

Rank V

Sep 17, 2020

That's a wild story right there. Hope there were no lasting scars from that on your grape.
I would to say to all of you .... thank you for fighting for me and our country. I didn't serve. I graduated in 1975, the Vietnam war was over and the armed services stopped the draft. So I got on with my life. I did wish years ago I would have went in the armed services. My dad was in the Korean war, Army. His, brother was in World War II, Navy. My dad NEVER spoke about the Korean war, ever. I had three cousins serve in 'Nam. They weren't the same after. My brother (ten years younger) served in the first gulf war, Army. His son was in the air force, and now is in the National Guard as a chopper pilot. Heck, my grandpa, who was born in England, was in the American Army in World War I. My brother told me what happened to him in Iraq, "the shock and awe". He said this, my brother " it truly scared the sh2t out of the Iraqi Army as they over whelmed the Tank convoy he was in to surrender to them" The convoy had to stop. They were heading north to Baghdad. I just finally want to say this. If it wasn't for YOU Men and Women who have put yourself in harms way for the rest of us, United States of America, wouldn't exist. So Again Thank You. I love reading your stories, it gives us civilians a feel of what it is, and was like to serve, and sacrifice. Don't ever feel people don't want to here them, at least me.
....scars and your grape.......That's military RIGHT THERE!... Funny!!!:ROFLMAO:
Baja on! As Ford Spanked the competition in 1969, in the Baja 1000, NO OTHER AUTOMAKER HAS, replicated in 50 plus years
SlashRacer, NVSUR

Moab or bust!!!

Sep 17, 2020

I started to doubt my career choices.
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Love it. My wife is looking at me strange as I laugh in my little makeshift office.
After that story, remind me never to ride shotgun with you if I ever get the chance. ;)

Thanks for sharing.
SlashRacer, NVSUR

Moab or bust!!!

Sep 17, 2020

That is one great picture. Thanks for sharing your story. :)
TrailReady, SlashRacer

Rank V

Sep 17, 2020

Served in the United States Marine Corps form 1985-1996, New River Air Station and NAS Millington as an instructor, AVA and then AVA C-7 school

Funny story, I was on a Maritime prepositioning ship in Jubail Saudi Arabia for the lead up to the 1st Gulf War. I was in the head doing my business when the air raid sirens went off. Some Marine was running around screaming GAS GAS GAS!! I was trying to pinch one off, hold my breath, thinking this is all I need to die on the shitter.
Its funny now but I was scared to death.
SandboxGeneral

Sep 17, 2020

Served in the United States Marine Corps form 1985-1996, New River Air Station and NAS Millington as an instructor, AVA and then AVA C-7 school

Funny story, I was on a Maritime prepositioning ship in Jubail Saudi Arabia for the lead up to the 1st Gulf War. I was in the head doing my business when the air raid sirens went off. Some Marine was running around screaming GAS GAS GAS!! I was trying to pinch one off, hold my breath, thinking this is all I need to die on the shitter.
Semper Fi
SlashRacer, NVSUR

Rank VI

Sep 17, 2020

Stories from the motor pool

We sent a large detachment from 10th Marines to cold weather training. First was Fort McCoy Wisconsin for initial survival training then off to snow covered Norway for a month and some joint training with NATO. I had just picked up Corporal so I volunteered. Let me preface by stating that the infantry gets a bad rap. The infantry is always portrayed as being a little low on the IQ scale …. well they are rocket scientists compare to the gun bunnies ( artillery). They were suppose to add fuel inhibitor to the diesel tanks to keep the fuel from gelling in the -60 artic nonsense that they call Wisconsin. I guess the directions stating to add one pint for every 10 gallons was to complicated... so they added 1 pint for every gallon. I spent the first two weeks in Ft McCoy changing fuel filters. It really sucks when it is -10 outside and the diesel gets your gloves wet constantly.

gelled fuel filter

We also had some good times in Wisconsin. We had a few combat engineers that shared the motor pool with US. They had a badass D7 bull dozer in for repairs. Well when you have 5 feet of snow on the ground... a lot full of Humvees....and a D7 dozer to play with what could possibly go wrong???? We ended up packing the snow into a 6 foot high snow ramp ….. and did rock paper scissors to see who would jump the hummer. My buddy lost and took one hell of a nose dive from about 8 feet in the air going 40mpg. The Humvees are just too front heavy to really catch good air. That Humvee never drove right again..... good times
SlashRacer, Soupcook

Rank VI

Sep 17, 2020

I served from 1980 to 2003 in the Navy. I started out enlisted but left as an Officer. I started out in a fleet fixed-wing squadron but was transferred to SPECWAR and flew CAS and Battle Taxi Service for SEALS, later adding Maritime Interdiction, CSAR, and a few other tricks that I don't talk about. Came back from Desert War I then off to a variety of Admirals' Staffs before heading off to ONI as the Commander of Interrogators, doing this job post-9/11(Yeah, I am one of those guys...). Most of my time was in the "Sand Navy" with less about a year afloat. I guess I should have just been Marine, it would have been the same result (LOL).

Stories are like fine wine, they better with age and time, but here you go. I have thousands of stories (ask my poor kids) but here is one good for the Bronco community...

I was flying a mission out of Niland, CA and we were cross-country with SEALs to Yuma for some joint training. Between Niland and Yuma there was an area popular with offroaders due to the topography, a fact that we were unaware of! We were doing a Nap-of-the-Earth (NOE) flight profile, and basically using the topography to mask ourselves. We were mostly about 30' or less AGL at 90 KN TAS. Well...we rolled over this one sand dune only to be greeted by a sandrail launching off the dune the opposite direction. Pucker meter hit 10 as we pulled military power and then some to avoid a mid-air with a sand rail. I could make out the colors of the helmets and goggles as we passed. To this day, I laugh at the thought that there is some sand-rail owner out there that tells this story and nobody believes him...
I wasn't there...
14U, Midnight Blue
SandboxGeneral

Sep 17, 2020

I was flying a mission out of Niland, CA and we were cross-country with SEALs to Yuma for some joint training. Between Niland and Yuma there was an area popular with offroaders due to the topography, a fact that we were unaware of! We were doing a Nap-of-the-Earth (NOE) flight profile, and basically using the topography to mask ourselves. We were mostly about 30' or less AGL at 90 KN TAS. Well...we rolled over this one sand dune only to be greeted by a sandrail launching off the dune the opposite direction. Pucker meter hit 10 as we pulled military power and then some to avoid a mid-air with a sand rail. I could make out the colors of the helmets and goggles as we passed. To this day, I laugh at the thought that there is some sand-rail owner out there that tells this story and nobody believes him...
I bet they had to change their skivvies after that!

Reminds me of a flyby that some F-18 pilots did for us after a TACP shoot one time.

We were up on a mountain calling in CAS all day and typically at the end of the day the pilots would do recey (sic) passes (recognition passes) for us. So this day in the California desert we're talking to the pilots on the radio and they're advising their location, approach direction and air speed to us. We're looking for them but can't see them. We hear them coming and we're looking in the right direction and radioing back that we do not have a visual. But they insist they're almost to us. We're looking and looking, but we're looking up in the sky for them.

Then all of a sudden the two of them came blasting up from beneath us at about 50 feet of the ground and one went directly over our heads while the other broke off to the flank side at the same time. They about knocked us off our feet! They were coming in on the desert floor below us and followed the mountain up to where we were so they effectively were coming in underneath us.

It was the coolest damn flyby I ever had, and I had a quite a few under my belt by then.
14U, SlashRacer

Rank VI

Sep 17, 2020

I was a radio operator (2531) for the infantry. Served from 1997-2001 in 2nd Battalion, 7th Marines. My primary role was TACP (tactical air control party) where we called in CAS (close air support) for the grunts on the front line. That was a fun job.

Vehicle related story:
One day we were leaving mainside at 29 Palms for a week long field op and I had to go to the motor pool to get my HMMWV, bring it back to the comm shop, load up our gear and then get into convey formation.

Those HMMWV's (H1 versions) were wobbly on pavement most of the time as they were always worked hard and put away wet. This day it seemed especially wobbly as we made our way down the road. At first I didn't think much of it and kept going thinking that once we hit the dirt it would drive better. A few miles into the training area, on the dirt, the wobble became intense suddenly and I knew something was bad wrong. Immedieately I started to ease to the right hand side and get out of the convey. The dust was being kicked up good by every vehicle of course, since we're in the middle of the desert. The Marine behind me, PFC Diaz, wasn't the most attentive person around and in the fraction of a second from when the wobble started and I began to move to the right, I thought and hoped he wouldn't rear end me because he might not have seen me slowing down in front of him from the dust.

Thankfully, he narrowly missed clipping me. But a second before he missed me, the left front wheel of my HMMWV came off, went rolling down the road about 100 yards and my hub hit the ground, dug in and I came to a quick stop.

It turns out that all the lug nuts on the vehicle were loose, 8 nuts per wheel. Some Marine at the motor pool who rotated, or changed the wheels around last had only hand tightened them and neglected to torque them down.

My Master Sergeant or Top, (I was a Corporal at the time) pulled over to see what happened and he went to retrieve the missing wheel for me. (He was an awesome guy)

We jacked the vehicle up, put the wheel back on, stole nuts from the other 3 wheels to secure it, and then proceeded to torque down all the lug nuts on all the wheels. The other 3 wheels were close to coming off as well, but the left front was the first to go.

I had no more issues with the HMMWV the rest of the field op. Upon returning to mainside afterwards, I told the Staff Sergeant at the motor pool what happened and he blamed me for the mishap! He said I should have checked the vehicle over, including the lug nuts before leaving with it. Maybe. But let's be honest here, and I maintain to this day, who the hell checks lug nuts before driving away in a vehicle? No one, unless you, yourself just worked on them. I didn't get into any trouble officially for it though except for him saying I was at fault.

I bet @paul rondelli was the mechanic who forgot to tighten my lug nuts! :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 3494
I had the same experience! We were moving a long at a good clip when I saw a wheel go bounding past and off into the brush. I was thinking "Some dumb-son-of just lost his rim and tire" when I realized it was us!
I wasn't there...
14U, Midnight Blue

Rank VI

Sep 17, 2020

This reminds me of another story. Was operating up North in Iraq and had just made a pick-up of a jet driver and his WO after they tangled with a Roland and lost. All these poor guys had were their flight suits and seat pan. Command was going to send a helo to give these two a ride, but for now, they were stuck with us in the sand. That night we started taking some incoming and someone yells out "gas." We are all going for our MOP suits and masks when I look over and see these two, eyes big and wide, worry on their face, and I realized that they didn't have any gas masks and we had no extras... Fortunately for them, it was another false alarm, but they call flight suits poopy-suits for a reason!
I wasn't there...