Just received my Bronco Wildtrak- Regrets and concerns

Treppib
Feb 14, 2022

Rank III

Feb 14, 2022

Howdy all,
Today is Feb 13th 2022, and last night a transport company just delivered my Bronco. I'm in Austin and for some reason my order ended up with a dealer in Florida. Anyhow I had a great first day with it cruising around with the hard top on and off. But I am starting to regret some of my choices when ordering and some concerns.
Regret, like many of you I ordered my Bronco back in 2020. During the build I was distracted and I was rushing because I didn't want to lose my reservation (I don't know why I thought I would). I ordered the Wildtrak in Race Red which I'm happy with but I only with the Mid Package and didn't get the modular bumpers. Now that I have it, Im really bummed about the 8 inch screen and seemingly lower resolution and lack of the 360 camera system. I also didn't realize with the Mid Package you don't get power ports on the dash for any dash mounted accessories. Then of course the lack of wireless charging. I realize I can do a couple quick mods and get what I want on those last two things. Then the modular bumper, well its just so much better than the plastic one and I wish I would have ordered it.

Concerns, I've only put 40 miles on the girl at this point but there seems to be a strong "electrical fire" smell that comes and goes. I've owned several new vehicles and know that sometimes you can get smells like this the first couple hundred miles but this was much stronger than anything I've dealt with in the past. Next concern is at slow speeds (in Normal GOAT mode) it feels sluggish and almost like it wants to stall or die, and its not the start/stop kicking in... In fact I turn that off each start. I didn't get to test drive one of the demo models most of the Ford dealers had so I have no other Bronco to compare it to. Anyone else dealing with this issue?
larryziegler
Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2022

No Ragerts

Feb 14, 2022

Howdy all,
Today is Feb 13th 2022, and last night a transport company just delivered my Bronco. I'm in Austin and for some reason my order ended up with a dealer in Florida. Anyhow I had a great first day with it cruising around with the hard top on and off. But I am starting to regret some of my choices when ordering and some concerns.
Regret, like many of you I ordered my Bronco back in 2020. During the build I was distracted and I was rushing because I didn't want to lose my reservation (I don't know why I thought I would). I ordered the Wildtrak in Race Red which I'm happy with but I only with the Mid Package and didn't get the modular bumpers. Now that I have it, Im really bummed about the 8 inch screen and seemingly lower resolution and lack of the 360 camera system. I also didn't realize with the Mid Package you don't get power ports on the dash for any dash mounted accessories. Then of course the lack of wireless charging. I realize I can do a couple quick mods and get what I want on those last two things. Then the modular bumper, well its just so much better than the plastic one and I wish I would have ordered it.

Concerns, I've only put 40 miles on the girl at this point but there seems to be a strong "electrical fire" smell that comes and goes. I've owned several new vehicles and know that sometimes you can get smells like this the first couple hundred miles but this was much stronger than anything I've dealt with in the past. Next concern is at slow speeds (in Normal GOAT mode) it feels sluggish and almost like it wants to stall or die, and its not the start/stop kicking in... In fact I turn that off each start. I didn't get to test drive one of the demo models most of the Ford dealers had so I have no other Bronco to compare it to. Anyone else dealing with this issue?
First off - congrats on your new Bronco - mow wlets see if we can get this all straightened out…

Although the reservation in July 2020 was likely rushed (as we all were) didn’t you visit a dealer in the beginning of 2021 to actually convert that reservation into an order? This is the process that required lots of care and consideration to select the model, trim, options and color.

So now, you have some buyers remorse on the screen & bumper. The bumper should be an easy fix - the screen, not so much. As for the electrical fire smell - that likely requires some immediate attention and I suggest that you visit your local dealer ASAP to have that looked at. It may be tied to your other complaint of sluggish driving - that is not normal either!

Good luck getting everything sorted out, I am sure you will be much happier once your Bronco is operating properly.
- 2023 Raptor / Shadow Black / MGV (DOB 8/30/23)
- 2023 Heritage Limited Edition / Robin’s Egg Blue / 4dr / (stolen from my dealer 11/15/23)
DeepCreek, Crawler Green

Adventure Day

Feb 14, 2022

I felt the same way about the plastic bumper when I got my Jeep JLU. The good news is there will be many aftermarket options that will be cheaper and more capable than the Ford Modular Bumper. So be patient and you’ll find one that will make the stance unique to you.

I would get that electrical issue looked at ASAP. These Broncos are not sluggish at all.
Bt_ostate, Crawler Green

Rank VI

Feb 14, 2022

Howdy all,

Congratulations so very happy for you. The good news is that that there are an unbelievable number of after market options for most everything except your 8 inch screen. You are in the initial break in period so take your time and check everything out carefully. If you have a good dealer I wouldn't hesitate to take it in and and check on the various items you find concerning. Better safe than sorry. The Wildtrak is a rocket ship especially on premium fuel but again break it in and then rock and roll. Please keep us updated those of us still waiting would love to hear your progress.
Sdakotabronco, Darrel

Rank V

Feb 14, 2022

My wife 21 explorer had that problem at start up when we first got it. It went away and dealer couldn’t find anything.
2022 Badlands / 4dr / Sasquatch / 2.7 / Soft Top / Velocity Blue / Lux / HD Bumper / Engine Block Heater / Keypad

Gladesmen

Feb 14, 2022

Welcome to the Nation @Treppib. An oil burning smell is common for the first hundred miles or so. An electrical smell is not common I would have that checked out. Although all wires should be protected by a fuse and if it is getting hot enough to smell it a fuse should have blown way before. It is also concerning that it is sluggish at slow speeds it should not act like it is going to die. Good luck and if you are ever in the Boerne area look me up.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
Darrel, LR48

Rank V

Feb 14, 2022

So which dealer did you get it from? Assuming Florida was a transport issue, and it finally arrived at your dealer in Austin. Picking up a take off modular bumper and installing it is not a big task. There are also some decent aftermarket ones out there, but honestly far too many have pretty poor aesthetics.
95 Eddie 5.8 Windsor 2021? nope, 2022?, wait 2022.5 HOSS3.0 equipped WildTrak/LUX/Leather/MIC. 7/14 RES

Rank III

Feb 14, 2022

Congrats, happy you finally got your WT. I ordered my WT with the MOD and Lux (love that 12 inch screen) but I could also live with the 8 inch one also. That is a good problem to have.
Wildtrak, HOSS 3.0, Race Red, 4 DR, Lux, Leather, Tow, Mod Bumper, MIC Top, Res 7/1/21, Order Confirmed 10/18/21

Rank VI

Feb 14, 2022

Had absolutely zero "burning smell" from mine. Get that looked at ASAP.

Your unofficial Favorite Author

Feb 14, 2022

Isn't there an electric passenger heater or something? I know the transfer case solenoids also can produce an electrical smell, getting that checked out friday.

Screen doesn't bother me, isn't there a way to up the resolution as well via AM?

What gas are you putting in btw? 91/93 produce more power, so time to be a big boy and pay extra for the power. Though tbh, when my girl was first breaking in, wasn't too fast or wild, and now my she's a beast, so give it time
2dr Badlands 2.3 Manual w/Mid, Rapid Red
My blog, Mfcomics.net, my stories: https://payhip.com/MFComics
Shoresy, Darrel

Rank II

Feb 14, 2022

Didn't have any smell on mine whatsoever except that 'new car smell'.

I've got the 2.3L and it's not sluggish at all... actually quite good considering I was expecting it to be a dog.

I'd get it looked at if you still have the smell. I'm wondering it if may be building up to the 2.7L's seizing issues?

Please let us know what it is/was!!
BroncoFred, Darrel

Rank 0

Feb 14, 2022

Howdy all,

Mine had a smell like burning plastic/rubber/coolant/whatever for a few hundred miles. I looked under the hood, and had the dealer check after our initial test drive and there was nothing leaking or anything. Apparently some of the solvents and what not used in production take a little while to burn off it looks like that's what it was. Gets less and less every drive until its gone, probably took 300-400 miles total.
LR48

GASQUATCH

Feb 14, 2022

I have same smell...were your seat warmers on? I feel like it is the foam in my seats while warmers are on high.
2022 Badlands / Sasquatch / 2.7 / Auto / 2DR / MIC / Bestop Trektop / LUX / 12000# Badland winch / in Hot Pepper Red

Your unofficial Favorite Author

Feb 14, 2022

Like I said, transfer case solenoid wires are possible culprits, I'll know for a fact on friday if it is for me
2dr Badlands 2.3 Manual w/Mid, Rapid Red
My blog, Mfcomics.net, my stories: https://payhip.com/MFComics

Libations MOD

Feb 14, 2022

I definitely wouldn't regret the MOD bumper, I dropped it once I learned I lost the fog light switch/control and I know I would do AM anyways. So, saved money and kept all my AUX switches for other things.
WT HOSS 4dr 2.7 MIC Lux Tow
7/16/20 Res -- 1/22/21, 10/8/21 Order -- 3/24/22 VIN -- 5/9/22, 5/23/22, 5/16/22, 6/6/22, 6/17/22 Build 7/15/22 Delivered
Storm Factor - Never Stop Chasing! BrawnCo.Club 501c3 Pending
BroncoFred

Rank VI

Feb 14, 2022

Mine had a smell like burning plastic/rubber/coolant/whatever for a few hundred miles. I looked under the hood, and had the dealer check after our initial test drive and there was nothing leaking or anything. Apparently some of the solvents and what not used in production take a little while to burn off it looks like that's what it was. Gets less and less every drive until its gone, probably took 300-400 miles total.
I had similar experience, a minor new car break in smell for a couple hundred miles. A little of that “burning oil mixed with coolant” wafting through the bronco.

electrical smell is not something I’ve experienced.

I did check under the hood just about every time I got home to make sure levels were good, no rubbing of belts/hoses and the like. Probably good to check all the reservoirs and dipsticks to make sure they’re properly filled.

the engine thing is definitely worth getting looked at by your dealer.
2021 badlands, 2.3, MT, rapid red, soft top

Rank 0

Feb 15, 2022

Burning smell and sluggish? Did you accidentally leave the E Brake on while driving?

Rank II

Feb 15, 2022

Burning smell and sluggish? Did you accidentally leave the E Brake on while driving?

The e-brake auto disengages when you drive.
Malty24