‘22 BS BB excessive brake dust?

klob9m
Jun 22, 2022

Rank IV

Jun 22, 2022

First off apologizes for the typo in the thread title(seems you can’t edit those once they’re in the world).

Anyone else’s front wheels on the 22 bronco sport covered in brake dust from normal driving? Rear wheels stay clean it’s almost like all the vehicle braking is done with the front wheels. I am seeing if driving with the activtrac turned off makes a difference but that is a pain as I have to navigate down into the menu every-time I start the car to turn it off before I start driving. No physical button I have found on the Big Bend. For reference the photo shows the car just washed a week ago.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2022

Rank VI

Jun 22, 2022

That's typically because the calipers aren't releasing from the rotor. Replacing the caliper should fix the problem
Member # 5650 / 2022 Bronco Sport Badlands

Moab or bust!!!

Jun 23, 2022

First off apologizes for the typo in the thread title(seems you can’t edit those once they’re in the world).

Anyone else’s front wheels on the 22 bronco sport covered in brake dust from normal driving? Rear wheels stay clean it’s almost like all the vehicle braking is done with the front wheels. I am seeing if driving with the activtrac turned off makes a difference but that is a pain as I have to navigate down into the menu every-time I start the car to turn it off before I start driving. No physical button I have found on the Big Bend. For reference the photo shows the car just washed a week ago.
Is the other side just as bad? If both are the same, then I would be surprised it is a caliper issue. Rare that you would have both front calipers freeze up at the same time.
I would take it back to the dealer and have them check the entire braking system.
Although I have seen some that seem to charge every stoplight or stop sign which will wear out the front brakes pretty quickly.
2022 Bronco Badlands, 4D, Hot Pepper Red, 2.7, Squatch, Lux, and MIC.
7/13/2020 10:04pm reservation. Blend 6/16/2022 Delivered 6/26/2022.
Dealership - Stephen's Auto Center.

Road trip!!!

Jun 23, 2022

@Ford Motor Company
2021 Badlands, 4 door, 2.7L, Auto, LUX, SAS, Tow Package, MIC, Velocity Blue.
14U

Rank IV

Jun 23, 2022

Is the other side just as bad? If both are the same, then I would be surprised it is a caliper issue. Rare that you would have both front calipers freeze up at the same time.
I would take it back to the dealer and have them check the entire braking system.
Although I have seen some that seem to charge every stoplight or stop sign which will wear out the front brakes pretty quickly.

Yes, passenger side is just as dusty as driver side pictured.
Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Jun 23, 2022

Yes, passenger side is just as dusty as driver side pictured.
Well it could be that the same guy put both fronts on and some other guy put the rears on. You should get it to your dealer sooner than later
Member # 5650 / 2022 Bronco Sport Badlands

Rank V

Jun 23, 2022

It seems that I have a faint memory of seeing something about there being a brake-related recall on the Escape-based fake Bronco.

I wonder if that's what is going on, here.
May the Ford be with you, always.
On Order: Badlands 4-door 2.7, Lux Package, Velocity Blue, non-Sasquatch

Member 2541 Jerry

Jun 23, 2022

Just curious here,
Two Foot Driver or Single Foot Driver ?
2022 -2door Black Diamond
Mid Package
2.7. Velocity Blue.
SlashRacer

Rank IV

Jun 24, 2022

Just curious here,
Two Foot Driver or Single Foot Driver ?

Single foot Driver(since the sports don’t have the 7-speed manual) and slow roller to red lights and stop signs…can actually hear brake creak as I let the car drift forward while idling at stops. Really seems like the front brakes just engage far more then the rear brakes.
14U

Rank IV

Jun 24, 2022

It seems that I have a faint memory of seeing something about there being a brake-related recall on the Escape-based fake Bronco.

There was a rear brake recall on the ‘21s I haven’t seen anything on the ‘22s. I’ll check with the dealer. My luck it’s probably like the recalls I have on another vehicle…”this is a safe-operation issue but we don’t have the parts don’t know when we will get them so just keep your fingers crossed you don’t have an accident until we contact you that we have the part sometime in the future”.

Member 2541 Jerry

Jun 24, 2022

It is odd for sure.
2022 -2door Black Diamond
Mid Package
2.7. Velocity Blue.

Rank VI

Jun 24, 2022

You will always have more brakeage coming from the front brakes instead of the rear. I have a few questions:

1. How many miles on your Baby Bronc?
2. Do you get a pull to the left or right when brakes are applied in a normal fashion?
3. Do you get a pull to the left of right when brakes are applied in an emergency situation?

I have owned six Fords in my days and what I have noticed is if you replace your pads with NON FOMOCO parts you get brake dust, if you are coming up to the end of the life of your current FOMOCO pads you get dust, if you are towing or have a heavy load you get brake dust, if you just washed your car you get brake dust.

I used to be in the auto parts business and when we spoke to our brake pad manufacturer, I asked about brake dust issues. He explained, and I don't know this to be a fact, that the reason that brake dust sticks to your wheels is that the magnetic particles in the brake pad friction material becomes magnetized and stick to your rims. He said if you apply a think coating of car paste wax to each wheel and buff off then there is a layer between the friction material and the wheel. I have tried it, it helps bunches but I don't know if I agree with his explanation but there it is.

Rank IV

Aug 02, 2022

Well, you can call it fake but my 18 year old daughter loves hers. I have driven it and was pretty impressed for what it is. We like to cover our bases and have a 66, a big Badlands and a Sport, so I think I am qualified to comment on the topic.
Her BS does have a shit ton of brake dust on the front wheels though, and she drives like a little old lady. Something is up for sure. It can't be that difficult to get brakes right in this day and age.
Deano Bronc

Rank IV

Aug 13, 2022

My son's 22 BS has the same issue he's taking it in next week.
CLiles02

Rank 0

Aug 30, 2022

I have a 2022 Bronco Sport and have exactly the same problem. Took it back to the dealer and they said there is nothing wrong with the braking system. Sounds super weird.

Rank V

Dec 23, 2022

Yes, unfortunately a somewhat common issue with the Bronco Sports. There is a code for it you can give to the Ford dealer to fix it in their service center. Sorry I don't have it handy any longer so I could drop it in this post. I had that issue with my rear brakes making loud noises when I would first back up in the morning to go to work. I'm in a 2022 Bronco Sport and the dealer was able to order parts, get it cleaned up and the issue is now fixed. Best of luck to you!
CLiles02, Laura

Rank IV

Dec 26, 2022

I have a 21 Bronco Sport base. I just had the recall done which is recall notice 21C31/ NHTSA recall 21V922. I didn't have the excessive brake dust just a softer pedal. It also affected the 22 model years also. The dealer told me it was because of inferior materials used in the brake linings. Hope this helps!